Posted By
Scott_Weichert
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi folks,

I run regular maintenence on my systems via Cocktail scheduling and I also leave my machines on 24/7 so the autoscripts run as well. However I have an odd problem with Photoshop CS.

Every so often I launch it to be presented with the startup screen (the themplate… new file.. screen) and all my preferences are reset. Thi sisnt’ a huge issue I simply run an action to reset all teh preferences correctly and relaunch the application. it will then chug along fine for a couple weeks and then the same thing will occur.

I’ve tried Preferential Treatment, an application that verifies your preference file and it always reprts the pref as okay.

Is anyone else experienceing this at all?

BTW, it’s only Photoshop CS that this happens with. All other Creative Suite apps and MXStudio apps don’t suffer from this issue. Not that that in itself means a whole lot, I know. It simply makes me wonder if it’s a Photoshop CS issue.

OS10.3.3 and the machine this happens on is a 1ghz G4 1.25 gb RAM, 2 internal drives, dedicated scratch.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 17, 2004
I have never seen that happen.
I use Cocktail too, but only on an on-demand basis, and I do shut down the machine at night.

Do you use any other utilities or haxies which might cause this?

I am running 10.3.4 on a G5.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
You mean you use an action (my question is: HOW?), as opposed to creating a Custom Workspace (or 3, or 4, or 10?) (Window—»Workspace—»Save Workspace…")

Don’t know why your prefs are being corrupted, but I’m curious about the methods you use to get your Photoshop environment back to the way you like it.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 17, 2004
Phosphor,

You can record your preference settings in an action. So, if you need to reset the preferences you can just run the action and everything gets put back they way you want it. That’s what I mean by using an action. This has been possible since v6 I believe (it was a "feature" of one of the versions.)

Just trash your prefs (or move them for the time being) with Photoshop not launched, launch Photoshop, hit record, and go set your preferences how you want them. Stop recording and save the action. All you need do then is run the action when you have to reset your prefs then relaunch Photoshop (if you change the scratch disk settings). The workspaces will save even if you trash prefs, provided you saved the workspace, so there’s no need to set those in the action.

—-

It’s odd because I can’t find out why it’s only Photoshop pref that are corrupting. And only on one machine. The best I can figure is I’m pushing the machine a great deal at times and something happens when I have processes other than Photoshop running and Photoshop writes (or reads) from the pref file.

And sorry I am running 10.3.4 on this machine, not 10.3.3. I don’t have this issue on a G5 or another G4 I use, only on this machine with the same exact set up (other than hardware architecture.) The G4 in question runs fabulously other than this one issue, which isnt’ really a huge inconvenience.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Hmm…

I’ve known about making a little AppleScript to replace corrupted prefs with saved-out good prefs, but I’ve never had to record the AppleScript, let alone use it.

Since I learned how to set up custom workspaces, I use that. I always have to do this if I have Photoshop running (in the BG) when I decide to take a break and play Tiger Woods golf. Running the game resets my Photoshop workspace to the smaller screen size; I just reset everything to "My PS Workspace" and my aplettes are back the way I like it.

Have you not explored "Window—»Workspace—»Save Workspace…", Scott?

With it, you can create a different setup for every client…brush sets, color swatches, custom shapes, everything.

Or am I missing what you’re trying to tell us? That’s entirely possible for me at 4:12 am EDST.
B
Buko
Jun 17, 2004
Scott I’ve had this happen about two or three times. I’m not sure what triggered it.

I know it happened when I was running 10.3.3 but I don’t think I’ve seen it since 10.3.4
SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 17, 2004
Phosphor… workspaces are not preferences. They are work spaces. I do save workspaces and that retains my palette layout, that’s all though. Workspaces dont’ retain whether Photoshop beeps when done, resizes windows on zoom, shows slice numbers, scratch disk locations, color settings, history states, location of secondary plugins folder, etc. I think there’s a little miscommunication here.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Yeah, you’re right Scott. It was late and I just veered off onto a side street. 🙂
JS
john.stevens
Jul 20, 2004
I get this too. It’s not serious, but it shouldn’t happen, and it got on my nerves after a (short) while. That’s a neat trick, recording the set-up, thanks. But I’m still dissatisfied that it needs a work-around.
KG
kerry_gelhar
Jul 29, 2004
YES!! this happens to me too!! it is the strangest thing. i signed up for this user forum specifically to see if someone posted a solution to this problem. i never thought of doing the action, so i will at least set an action now. but it sure would be nice if there was a fix to this problem.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections