TJ
Posted By
Timothy_J_Davies
Jun 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know, whether it is possible to put type into a shape such as a circle, or any other polyphonic shape. I don’t mean that the text should bend, but that the borders are set by the shape, e.g. I don’t want the text to cross the circle border.

Is there a function that allows the user to set the borders of the type tool other than the rightangle?

Thanks in advance
Tim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DK
Doug_Katz
Jun 16, 2004
Yes. In CS.
R
Ram
Jun 16, 2004
a shape such as a circle, or any other polyphonic shape

Polyphonic? 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 16, 2004
Just draw your polygon, or circular shape, with the Pen tool; click inside it with the Type tool and start typing.

(Clicking ON the path would let you set type that follows that path.)

Polyphonic quality would depend on the quality of your audio speakers.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jun 16, 2004
Also you can use shape tools (in addition to the pen tool as Ann points out) by creating paths rather than filled shpaes.
L
Larryr544
Jun 17, 2004
Ann and Welles – ????

Just draw your polygon, or circular shape, with the Pen tool; click inside it with the Type tool and start typing.

I’m unable to make this work. I used the Pen tool to draw a shape, clicked inside it with the type tool and the type pays no attention to the shape what so ever. Can you give me more info or point me to a tutorial? Thanks! Larry
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 17, 2004
I think that it only works in CS.
Which version are you using?
TJ
Timothy_J_Davies
Jun 17, 2004
I’m using CS.

Tried it out just a sec ago, and I still can’t get it to work. After drawing a circle or polygon (sorry for that foolish polyphonic! Quite funny though), I selected my type tool, but as I press into the circle, it obviously creates another layer, that doesn’t get affected by the borders of the circle!

Is there anything in preferences or anything else I have to change before the border of the circle becomes the border of my text?

Thanks for all your help guys!
Tim
TJ
Timothy_J_Davies
Jun 17, 2004
Finally,
I found how to do it. You have to create a Path and then press into it with the type tool. Search in Photoshop help for "create path". The third subject "Creating a work path (Photoshop)" will tell you how to get it all to work.

Have fun,
Tim
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 17, 2004
Works for me in CS as long as I have the shape tool set up either to create a path or a shape layer. I just click with the text tool and the shape gets surrounded by a bounding box and the text is constrained (on its new layer) to lie within the shape – how closely it fills depends on font size and word length etc

(edit -Tim – you beat me to your own solution!)
Susan S
L
Larryr544
Jun 17, 2004
I’m using CS. I’ll go try this again.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections