PB
Posted By
peter_boocock
Jun 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just posted this to a truly desolate and disconsolate soul on the Apple discussion list. It pertains to the seemingly inexplicable limit to the amount of physical RAM that Photoshop CS can actively grab from physical RAM to use in its mysteriously almost undocumented without a mention in its Help files, Memory and Image Cache and Histogram cache settings.

just in case you were wondering

1- your not alone mine reads 1775MB but I have 2.5GB installed.

2- this hasn’t been reported on the Adobe site – yet! -// it is now //

3- ain’t much I know we can do about it. Upside is that physical RAM is available for other activities.

4- What about setting up a RAM disk and read / write the image cache on that? wouldn’t that work, I wonder?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jun 15, 2004
Peter,

It has nothing to do with Photoshop. It’s a limitation of all 32-bit operating systems, not just OS X. If you do the math, that works out to a maximum 2GB any application can use. Because of some overhead, this turns out to be in the neighborhood of 1.78GB.

This has been discussed here many times. Do a search.

You’ll have to wait for a true 64-bit OS, years down the road.
B
Buko
Jun 15, 2004
this hasn’t been reported on the Adobe site – yet!

yes it has.

an app can only use 2gig of RAM OS limitation.

PS uses as much of the RAM as it can the remainder is used by system resources.

Everything is normal.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections