MM
Posted By
mike_mcgraw
Jun 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need help. I have images form my Canon 1D and from my 10D in the same folder for a total of 410 images. I need to sort them by time file created. With smaller numbers of images, file browser will shuffle my 1D and 10D images together with no problems.

With this many images in a folder, only once out of 20 times will work.

How can I fix this? How come it works occassionally? Thank you. Mike

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

IL
Ian_Lyons
Jun 13, 2004
Mike,

How come it works occassionally?

I’m not sure if I’m understanding you correctly, but from the above question you may well be looking at a similar problem to one I’m faced with when using my Canon 10D and also more recently the PowerShot Pro1.

The File Browser SORT uses the image File Properties as opposed to EXIF data and this presents a BIG problem. With some Canon models (definitely the 10D and Pro1) there is NO creation date written to the file (it’s left blank by Canon). You do get a Modification date but even that is questionable at times. By this I mean that the modification date as read by File Properties will be altered if you ever VIEW the image in Canons own viewer/convertor applications. This happens when the application extracts the thumbnails. A quick check of some 1DMkII images I have here confirms that it does have both Creation and Modification dates written to the file.

BTW: I’ve checked the images on both my Mac and PC – neither OS can find a Creation date for 10D or PowerShot Pro1 files.

Ian
MM
mike_mcgraw
Jun 13, 2004
Thanks, That was interesting and insightful. I’ll have to think more about a work around.

Any 3rd party software for mac that will work with this problem? M
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jun 13, 2004
Mike,

If your problem is due to the absence of the File Creation date then the answer is NO to third party solutions – Canon screwed us from the moment we pressed the shutter release button. On the other hand, if you can find a third party solution that sorts using the EXIF creation date then you’re out of jail.
MM
mike_mcgraw
Jun 14, 2004
I downloaded the trial version of iview media pro and when I draggeed the folder into the iview window, it only read the 1D images.

I also went back to PS file browser and was able to get them all sorted correctly (almost) by sorting by date modified. I guess that if I sort before I do too many random adjustments I should be fine, Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections