Posted By
johnsset
Jun 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all.

It’s time for me to buy me a new printer. Since I’m primarily going to be using it to print pages for my protfolio (I’m a graphic designer / layout artist), I need something that will print up to 13×19.

I’m looking both the Epson 2200 (inkjet) and Epson 1280 (dye sub).

My question is, which do you think is the better route to go? Inkjet or dye sub? Most of my stuff will have a mix of photographs, text, and vector graphics, so I’m not interested as interested in photographic quality as I am in color reproduction, line sharpness, and cost per print.

Any thoughts?

I’m not sure I even know the primary advantages of inkjet vs. dye sub.

Please… help me out.

Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Epson 1280 (dye sub)

?????
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
CLICK the link below:

The Epson Stylus® Photo 1280 ink jet printer < http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?B V_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=28907797>
J
johnsset
Jun 12, 2004
Ramon, again with your rudeness.

Please think about being a little more kind and courteous to people on here.

Now, with a dose of your own medicine:

???????????

CUT & PASTE (since I’m apparently not smart enough to embed a link, maybe you want to make a condescending remark about that, too?) the link below:

< http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_cod e=50257498&pfp=SEARCH>

Notice how under "Printer Type" it’s listed as "Color Dye Sublimation."

Or, is that another term for "Color Ink Jet?"
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
John,

Sorry, I don’t remember you at all. Sorry if I unwittingly offended you in the past.

I looked at your link, and it says INK JET PRINTER all over the place, in the title and in the blurb.

No, dye sublimation is a very different technology that produces continuous tone prints as opposed to using droplets of ink (dots).
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Dye sublimation printing involves applying considerable heat to the paper, that’s why it’s otherwise known as Thermal Dye Diffusion.

You may find this link interesting:

<http://www.lonestardigital.com/kodak_8500.htm>
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Another interesting link on dye sublimation printing technology < http://www.shortcourses.com/how/printers/photoprinters.htm#D ye%20Sublimation%20Printers>.
J
johnsset
Jun 12, 2004
You should remember me. Nearly every time I post on here, you make a condescending remark to my question. I thought these forums were here to help people, not to needlessly make them feel like idiots.

But, personal differences aside. Let’s stay on track.

Yes, the link DOES say "Ink Jet Printer" all over the place, but it clearly states in the "Printer Type" field that it’s a "Color Dye Sublimation" printer.

I checked on Epson’s statistics page and it says it there, too, so it’s not just an error or fluke over at CompUSA.

* shrug* Who knows.

So, all inkjet vs. dye sub crap aside, how about I re-pose my question:

Which seems a better printer for my use (see original post): the 2200 or the 1280?
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jun 12, 2004
johnsett

Embedding links can be done by putting the following (html in red) before and after the URL…

< a href="your URL here"> your description of the link here< /a>

It can be useful especially if the URL is so long that it blows out the thread horizontally.

(You’ll need to remove the space immediately before the a href and also the /a. I had to include it for the html to display in this forum.)
J
johnsset
Jun 12, 2004
Ahhhh. Thanks for the helpful links.

So, regardless of what the Epson page says, it’s definately NOT a dye sub printer. Hurmm… I wonder why they put that there, then?

Anway, >$1000 is far more than I’m able to spend.

I’ll stick with inkjet.

Now, which one… hurmmm.
J
johnsset
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks Ronald!
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Set,

Okay, I did a search on your user ID, and in the only thread <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb41abf/0> I found in which we exchanged messages (that’s how I found out your name is Seth), this is what you wrote addressing me:

Thanks for the cross-post, Ramón. It’s not for me, but for a student. He wants to work at home this weekend.
I’ll let him know. Thanks guys.
–Seth

I found nothing else I may have ever addressed to you. Nevertheless, I’m sorry if I did offend you without realizing it.
B
Buko
Jun 12, 2004
J
johnsset
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks for the appology, Ramon.
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Seth,

So, regardless of what the Epson page says, it’s definately NOT a dye sub printer. Hurmm… I wonder why they put that there, then?

I find that the web sites maintained by Japanese companies are very prone to errors. It seems that the distributors and marketing guys who speak English are not technically savvy, and the tech guys are in Japan and don’t speak English. It happens often with Pentax, Nikon and Canon too, in that order of frequency.
J
johnsset
Jun 12, 2004
Heh. Maybe that’s it. Frustrating and confusing, though…
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Of course, I should have mentioned Sony as one of the error prone sites, above everybody else’s!
L
Larryr544
Jun 13, 2004
The 2200!!! And if you print a lot you’ll recoup you investment by getting the 4000.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 13, 2004
There recently was a "which photo quality printer" thread you could find with a search. Conclusion: what Larry said.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections