RG
Posted By
RJ_Gowdie
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Photoshop 6.0 running on OS 9.1. I am an Illustrator. I want to know how to preserve in Photoshop the line art from a scanned BxW sketch. In that BxW sketch I want to make all the white areas clear. Think of the look of comic book art and you’ve got the idea. I want the line art on the top of the image and the color on the
layers beneath.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sincerely
RJ

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Jun 11, 2004
Place the line art at the top of all other layers and set it’s blend mode to "Multiply" then add layers beneath it to add color.
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Jun 11, 2004
Another nice way to color line art is to take your grayscale scan of your line art (or convert it to grayscale), copy the gray channel. Then convert your file to RGB. Create a new layer over your background layer,a nd turn the background layer off. Then select the gray channel in your channels palette, invert the selection, and then dump a color you want into the new, blank layer. you can then have a line any color you want, or paint different parts of the line art different colors. I use this alot in my work.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 11, 2004
Scan the drawing at 1200ppi (grayscale, final size)
Crop, rotate, clean and adjust the contrast
Change the mode to bitmap
Save
Make a copy, rename and save
Change the mode to grayscale
Resample to 400ppi
Command+click on the name of the gray channel
Select>Modify>Expand (try 2 pixels first, but keep an eye on the thickness of the line) Delete
Change the mode to RGB (or CMYK if you know exactly what tints you want) and use the paint bucket (low tolerance) to drop the tints in place
Save

In the layout application, place your color picture down first and the bitmap in a duplicate box on top
Set the trapping of the top box to overprint

(Send me a copy of Hyperman #1 : )

Oh! … and tell your service bureau not to use a RIP that resamples your HiRez work.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections