JH
Posted By
Jim_Hess
Dec 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A few days ago someone wrote about how they were able to create actions using Photoshop, and then were able to use those actions within Elements. Can anyone explain to me how to run existing actions in Elements?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 4, 2003
Jim,

Go to the Challenge main page, and under the Tools section two in the listing provide, free of charge, the ability to run actions in PSE. The Shipley and the Hidden Elements links provide this capability.
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks for the information, Nancy. I guess I haven’t devoted enough time to the Challenge to understand how it works or how to take advantage of what is there. I went to what I thought was the main Challenge page, but I wasn’t able to find a "Tools" section. But I will consider looking into the books that you recommended to see if I can locate what I need. Thank you again for your kind assistance.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 4, 2003
Nancy’s memory is good, but she was about 5% off. Go to the Challenge Home Page, click on Links (I think it’s at the bottom of the list on the left), and THEN you’ll find a section on Tools! 🙂
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 4, 2003
Beth,

So right you are!
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 5, 2003
This is a timely topic for me as well. I cannot for the life of me find out, or discover, how to get an action to play in either Shipley or Richars’s plug ins. That seems to be the heart of the problem.

Does anyone have a good grasp on that. I just downloaded an Infrared Action that works great in PS but I can’t figure out how to get it into the other programs to run under PSE.

Dick
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
Dick,

I’m afraid I’m having the same problem. I finally gave up and ordered the "Hidden Powers" from Amazon today. Hopefully, when that arrives it will shed some light on the subject.
SS
Susan_S.
Dec 5, 2003
The Hidden Powers action player postdates the book, so no help there i’m afraid – you need to post this question on Richard’s forum on Retouchpro.com for more detailed help.

What I know: Not all actions will run in Elements – and most existing actions will need some editing, if only to remove all the capital letters/non alphanumeric characters that give Elements indigestion. There is an advanced rtf document that you should have with the Hidden Elements download which gives some indications of what can/needs to be done.
Paul Shipley’s add on does not play actions. Ling Nero also has an action player with a large range of actions, and her site now also has gudelines for editing/writing actions so that Elements can play them.

<http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff2.html>

While her pre written actions are useful I found it hard to add either my own or other peoples actions to her player – I prefer Richard Lynch’s implementation for this. It is Much easier writing actions from scratch to be Elements compatable than trying to edit existing actions… i’ve done a fair number of attempts at the latter and my success rate is low except for some very simple ones.

Susan S
RL
Richard_Lynch
Dec 5, 2003
You can get the actions player at the Adobe Studio Exchange here:

Mac:
< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=75 31>

PC:
< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=75 16>

You will need to read the advanced.rtf to really get a grasp on how to add your own. You can create actions for Elements using an old PS6 demo (they don’t expire but let you save actions).

Hope that helps.
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
Richard,

I downloaded the action player and installed it. I read your Advanced document and tried to follow the instructions precisely. I guess I’m just having a harder time following instructions anymore because I just haven’t been able to get it to recognize the action that I tried to load. It might be that the action is incompatible, I don’t know. Anyway, I will keep trying. Thanks for your response.

One thing I am learning, however, is that in reality I really don’t need a lot of additional capability that isn’t already in Elements. I’m preparing a set of photographs for my wife’s boss, pictures of her beloved dogs. And I have been able to do everything I need to do with Elements. I have decided that rather than keep worrying about whether or not I have every capability that is possible for me to have, I will just concentrate on getting the pictures done. And isn’t that what it’s all about anyway? I’m looking forward to reading your book when it arrives next week.

Jim

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections