ML
Posted By
Mel_Lewis
Dec 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have three individual portraits of the same person, and what I would like to do is join them into one photo. I will have the photo in the middle straight, and the photo on the left and right leaning away from the center photo left and right respectively, with the photos on the left and right slightly overlapping the center photo.I don’t know how to proceed. Should I edit each photo individually and then join them, or should I use a different way? I would appreciate it if some one could walk me through the process so that I can grasp the concept. (By the way, I don’t know how one can open more than one photo on the screen at the same time. I assume that this can be done, but I am clueless.)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 4, 2003
Mel,

I only have a minute to get you started, then hopefully someone else will pipe up…

* open the image you want for the center
* duplicate that image and close original
* file>save as—change it to a .psd while editing
* image>resize>canvas size —add extra canvas horizontally to accomodate the next two portraits
* open 2nd image, make sure it is same resolution as #1, create duplicate, change to .psd, close original
* hit Control key and minus sign once or twice to display it smaller and see #1 below * click in the Layers Palette and drag the layer and drop it on #1 * close #2 portrait
* your composite has two layers now
* double click the "background" to change it to Layer 0 * open 3rd portrait and repeat steps above

You have 3 layers in your composite. Upper layers cover up things beneath unless lower opacity or transparent area. You can work on each layer individually, changing color etc. Move the upper two layers around using the Move Tool. You may want to select and isolate the face of #2 and #3 so no background covers up bottom stuff. Position to slightly overlap. Add more background if needed, experiment with this so far. Come back if you get stuck somewhere.

Nancy
TD
Tom_Driscoll
Dec 5, 2003
I have a scenic photo with a bland sky. I have a separate photo with a glorious sky. I can’t figure out how to cut the sky out of the scenic photo and substitute the glorious sky. Can anyone help?
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
Tom,

There are a number of ways to do this. Photoshop Elements has a number of selection tools that will enable you to isolate the sky. One method that I use when the picture will allow it is to use the magic wand tool to highlight the sky area. You can play around with the tolerance until you get it to work close to what you need. If you aren’t able to highlight all of the sky with a single click then you can hold down the shift key and click additional areas until you have the entire sky highlighted.

Once you have the sky highlighted, copy it to the clipboard and then paste it back. This will put a copy of the sky on its own layer. Now, open your other photograph that has the sky the color that you want. Open your color picker and put the eye dropper cursor on the color that you want in the picture and click on it. Now go back to your picture with the bland sky and use the paint bucket to paint the color on this "sky" layer on your photograph. Now you can play with the blending modes and the opacity settings until you get it looking the way you want it to look. If there are clouds that have been painted over, and you want them to show, just erase appropriately on the "sky" layer.

These instructions probably are not very clear, but it might give you something to start with. If it doesn’t work, then don’t save the file and start over again.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 5, 2003
Tom,

You can also do as Jim suggests with using the magic wand for the sky, and if it selects more than you want, i.e. there is some of the same color in the image as the sky, you can switch to the rectangular marquee tool, choose subtract from image (3rd icon on options bar) and then draw a rectangle over the bottom of the image to remove those colors from being replaced.

With your sky image open and active, go to Select>All, then Edit>copy. Now make your original active. Choose Edit>paste into and your sky image will be pasted into the selected area on your original. As long as you don’t hit the enter key, you can move the image around inside the original to position it correctly. Likewise you can use the corner handles to resize it if necessary.

Don’t forget to work on a copy of the origianl.

Dick
TD
Tom_Driscoll
Dec 5, 2003
But I don’t want a sky of all one color; I want one with clouds in it, too.
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
Without seeing the picture it is rather difficult to tell you everything that needs to be done. But if you work with your opacity level on the "sky" layer that I described earlier you can get some of the variations that you want. And you can use the eraser to erase areas where you want clouds to show. This method has worked for me in the past, but a lot of the idea behind it depends a lot on the picture. So it may not be the right solution in this instance. You might want to take a look at the Replace Color feature as well.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 5, 2003
Tom,

Work on a duplicate of the photograph with the poor sky. Use one of the tools to select the sky (I use the lasso) then once it is all selected do Edit>Clear. Next go to the photograph with the good sky and once again select all of the sky but then do Edit>Copy. Now go back to the first photograph and do Edit>Paste.

OK so now you have two layers … put the new sky layer below the other. Go to the layer palette and drag the new sky layer below (you will probably need to rename the background layer … just double click on it, in the layers palette, and you can then rename it).

OK so now you should have your new sky showing. If its too small or large then simply resize it using the Move tool. If you get stuck let me know and I will try and help.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 5, 2003
You should get clouds as well as sky color when you "paste into". Remember that both pix need to be the same resolution before you paste.

Sometimes the magic wand will pick up color similarities in the overall image as well as the sky especially if you have Contiguous unchecked. That’s why you use an additional rectangle selection on the image.

Dick

BTW. This particular technique was discussed in Philip Andrews book, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Dec 5, 2003
Tom,
I downloaded a small file (free) of clouds here:
< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?aID=56 43&back=http%3A%2F%2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxBr owseSubmit%2Easp%3Fr%3D0%26t%3D11%26rppsel1%3D30>
If you use the technique oulined by Wendy above, use an appropriate color for the new sky and then apply the clouds. The download shows up in brushes.
You can find a color chart at the following, making color selection for the sky easy:http://www.nutrocker.co.uk/colorchart.html
Ken
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Dec 5, 2003
Addendum:
My previous post assumes that you want to "create" a sky yourself, rather than copy&paste from another photo. I have done it both ways. The cloud brush is really neat and uses foreground-background colors.
Ken
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 5, 2003
I’ll try again with the directions I was alluding to earlier on paste into.

1. Open the image containing the "blah" sky.

2. Open the sky image that you want to use for replacement.

3. Using the Magic Wand tool with a tolerance setting somewhere above 50, and the Coniguous box unchecked, click in an area of the sky you want to replace. If that doesn’t select all of the sky in and through trees, etc. deselect increase your tolerance and repeat.

4. To remove the areas of the image other than sky that were selected: choose the Rectangular Marquee tool and click the Subtract From Image icon on the options bar.

5. Draw a rectangle from edge to edge across you image just below the area of the sky you want to replace and then down to the bottom of the image. The small areas that had marquees will now be removed from the sky selection.

6. Make your "sky" image active.

7. Select either all of the image or a rectangular selection large enough to cover the blah sky in your original image.

8. Choose edit>copy.

9. Make the original image active.

10. Choose edit>paste into.

11. The replacement sky will now appear over your original image with a marquee around it.

12. Click on the Move tool and you can move and resize at will.

13. Hit enter and you have a "new" sky image.

I hope this is of some help.

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 5, 2003
Ken,

Just downloaded those brushes and played a bit. Makes a great way to create a sky like you said.

Thanks for the link.

Dick
TD
Tom_Driscoll
Dec 5, 2003
Thanks to all you people who have helped me. Progress (with me) is slow!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 5, 2003
Tom,

Don’t worry about it … we have all been there. Progress does seem slow to begin with but suddenly it all just clicks into place … give yourself time and ask as many questions as you want to.

In a couple of months you will be answering other people’s questions 🙂

Wendy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections