OS X crashing when trying to reduce image size (with either CS or 7)

PW
Posted By
philip_watson
Jun 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a 36′ x 48′ file thats 867 MB, that im trying to reduce to 24′ x 36′. Everytime I try it however, My screen gets dimmed out and the dialog with the power button icon that tells me to hold down the power button to restart pops up, and everything is frozen. Im at my wits end for I do not know how else Im going to shrink this file, which is way too large for my tastes as Photoshop goes slow as hell when trying to work on it. (i.e. 10-15 min saves, ridiculous). Is there a way that I can shrink the file from the finder or something so that I can get my computer to stop crashing and execute the shrinkage? Please somebody help me out. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jun 10, 2004
Philip we would love to help you.

but since we can’t read your mind (most likely because I haven’t had enough coffee) you need to give more info.

computer??

RAM??

system??

what have you done to solve the problem??

what maintenance do you do??

How much free disk space do you have
P
Phosphor
Jun 10, 2004
Do you really want to change the Height:Width ratio during the resizing?
PW
philip_watson
Jun 10, 2004
My Fault:

Dual 1.8 G5
2 gb of RAM

I run cocktail every so often and have done so not too long after the first resizing attempt I have 212 GB free on main HD, 70 GB free on 2 HD

And yes, i do want to change the width/height ratio

This is a brand new problem to me since ive never had this happen before now.
B
Buko
Jun 10, 2004
Does this happen if you make a new user?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 10, 2004
Could the extra RAM which you have installed be incompatible with the original Apple-supplied RAM?
GB
g_ballard
Jun 10, 2004
ya I would start with the ram…then the updaters and maintenance <http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
PW
philip_watson
Jun 10, 2004
I have to believe now that its the file because ive tried saving out other files and opening them back up, and have no problem. But this one huge file will not give. Im going to keep playing around with it. See what happens
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 11, 2004
The gray screen is a kernel panic — this means that the operating system has had a serious error, not the application.

Most likely this means you have some bad RAM, bad hard drive, or a corrupt OS install.

The first step would be to check the RAM (removing it or swapping it out is the easiest way).

Next would be to check the disk for problems, and consider replacing it.

Next would be reformatting the disk and reinstalling the OS and application.
PW
philip_watson
Jun 11, 2004
Thanks alot Chris. I shall look into everything that you have stated and let you know the outcome
PW
philip_watson
Jun 12, 2004
Ive tried to run fsck but it dosent do anything. It tells me that my drive is journaled and to try -f option to force file checking, but when i type -f. nothing happens. So i dont know what to do.
B
Buko
Jun 12, 2004
You can turn off journaling before running fsck -y

the way I do it is with Cocktail.

you can get it at <http://www.versiontracker.com>
PW
philip_watson
Jun 13, 2004
Ok guys, ive zeroed both my hard drives, tried running it with just the factory ram, and without the factory ram using the new ram, and im still getting the same result with the file. I dont know what direction to go next.
R
Ram
Jun 13, 2004
Philip,

I just re-read the entire thread, Unless I’m missing something, at this point I have to suspect the file itself. Can you do a Save As under a different name? If you still crash just "saving as", then it has to be the file, since you’ve tried everything else.
R
Ram
Jun 13, 2004
Incidentally, what are the file dimensions in pixels?

You can’t exceed 30,000 pixels in any one direction (width or height) under Photoshop 7.0.1, or 300,000 pixels in any one direction under Photoshop 8.

If your file is 48 feet in width, that’s 576 inches. That means the resolution of your file cannot exceed 52 ppi in Photoshop 7.0.1, or 520 ppi in Photoshop 8 ("CS").
PW
philip_watson
Jun 14, 2004
made a mistake when posting my measurements. I meant 36"x48". Thats inches, not feet.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections