Posted By
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
There still tooling the new boxes.
Z
Zeb
Jun 9, 2004
Still no quad processor machines MO.
L
LRK
Jun 9, 2004
Thanks for the post Buko!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
It’s coming, I think.

I’m thinking late 2005 or 2006

or maybe they scraped the quad project.

Steve does strange things ALL the time.

He actually scrapped 2/3’s of the models that were to be released when the G5 were announced.

So, take the gossip with a grain of salt.

Things change.
Z
Zeb
Jun 9, 2004
Fence building Linda?

(:") oops, not the lounge)

I was hoping Apple might introduce them as IBM said they couldn’t make the 3GHz chips Steve promised last year for summer 2004.

I’m pleased they could knock off 450 quid (765USD) off the dual 1.8GHz.
L
LRK
Jun 9, 2004
Fence building ? ? ? What am I missing?
J
JWeber
Jun 9, 2004
I notice that the new 1.8 and 2.0 both have a 64 meg video card that can be upgraded to 128 or 256 megs. I run two montiors right now with a Radeon 8500 64 meg card (in OS9) that seems so do just fine with my PS stuff. Is there anything about running two monitors in OSX that would require more video RAM on the card (such as quartz extreme) that would be worth an upgrade?

Thanks.
P
progress
Jun 9, 2004
the pinch of salt that im seeing is that apple dont say whether the xeons are running hyperthreading, which in some apps can give you 30% speed increase per processor. Also doesnt say anything about ram or hd spec…oh how i love pr.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
Notice the base model slight of hand BS?
L
Larryr544
Jun 9, 2004
TThe pfeiffer report is also ambiguous about memory installed in the new machine.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 9, 2004
Mike, do you mean the loss of a potential 4 GB RAM or the PCI-X?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 9, 2004
Why don’t they compare it against dual Opterons?

My aim is not to go flamewar, as competition is always good… but I don’t understand why they always compare apples to oranges (almost no pun intended)

Has Chris validated the benchmarks?

I wonder why they only have two locations for hard disks…

I don’t understand why they are proud to have 2x 1.25Ghz of FSB, when there is still only 2x400Mhz DDR Chips to feed that… Doesn’t that mean that there is a greater bottleneck?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
that and a smaller hard drive.
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 9, 2004
I notice that the new 1.8 and 2.0 both have a 64 meg video card that can be upgraded to 128 or 256 megs. I run two montiors right now with a Radeon 8500 64 meg card (in OS9) that seems so do just fine with my PS stuff. Is there anything about running two monitors in OSX that would require more video RAM on the card (such as quartz extreme) that would be worth an upgrade?

I think the upgrade is more if you are running 3D animation software or other applications that require a lot of rendering power.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 9, 2004
Why don’t they compare it against dual Opterons?

Because dual Opterons can’t run Mac OS X? (g,r&d)

Seriously, benchmarks are a total waste of time and should be banned.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
yea,

tell that to arbitration lawyers.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 9, 2004
Pierre, I’m no electronics expert but looking at the system diagram in the Power Mac G5 Technology and Performance Overview (June 2004) I think that each processor communicates with the system controller across individual 1.25 GHz ‘buses. The system controller is connected to the RAM (400 MHz), AGP (533 MHz) and PCI-X (133 MHz). So as long as the system controller can handle communication across all of these interfaces simultaneously, then an FSB exceeding 1.06 GHz would be required to soak up the bandwidth.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 9, 2004

[Never mind]
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 10, 2004
That makes sense, Graham.

I know that we are not beancounters and should not look at numbers, but then Apple should not throw benchmarks… especially when they continually "forget" to include their most serious opponent…
Z
Zeb
Jun 10, 2004
Perhaps Apple could include a counter that tells you how much time you’ve saved today using this new computer compared to your previous one.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 10, 2004
in percentage, maybe?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 10, 2004
<< New G5s announced; no 3GHz or G5 laptops ‘any time soon’ >>

More info. here < http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/06/09/apple/index.p hp?redirect=1086854005000>

Specially for Linda:
<< The 2.5GHz system also features a liquid cooling system that Apple says helps reduce temperature without increasing fan noise. The 2.5GHz model will cost $2,999 when it’s released in July. >>
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 10, 2004
I’ve convinced myself, finally after a year’s dithering (pun fully intended), to go ahead and order one.
L
Larryr544
Jun 10, 2004
Linda – What have you decided to do?
L
LRK
Jun 11, 2004
Good morning folks! My DSL modem was zapped by lightning yesterday so now I’m having to work from my older G4 and 56K modem. Also had to sign on using AOL with limited minutes until next week when the modem replacement arrives.

Ann, Looks like quite an interesting article. Thanks very much for the link.

Larry, I had some health setbacks which forced me to back off from the diet for a few days. Reaching my goal will take a while which will give me plenty of time to decide. The future Macs look promising don’t they. ๐Ÿ™‚
R
Ram
Jun 11, 2004
My goodness! Lightning bolts, alligators, starvation diets induced by spouses, just what other calamities must you endure over there, Linda?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 11, 2004
Other than the dieting, in the mountains we call such things "entertainment," not calamities. <g>
L
LRK
Jun 11, 2004
I’m back for a moment… Now I’m restricted by AOL minutes… I miss DSL…

Never a dull moment Ramon… ๐Ÿ™‚

That’s funny Allen…

[edited] –> Whoopie! No more restrictions on my minutes until the 20th. By then I should have my DSL back. Oh the wonders of fast internet… Don’t know how I managed before.
L
LRK
Jun 12, 2004
BTW… I must give AOL credit… I made a phone call inquiring about my minutes and told the guy that our Earthlink DSL modem went down with lightning… he was very nice and extended my minutes unlimited to the end of this billing period.
L
LRK
Jun 12, 2004
Ann,

Specially for Linda: << The 2.5GHz system also features a liquid cooling system that Apple says helps reduce temperature without increasing fan noise. The 2.5GHz model will cost $2,999 when it’s released in July. >>

That sounds nice!!!

How is your G5 doing?
Z
Zeb
Jun 12, 2004
L
LRK
Jun 12, 2004
Zeb: When you look at it that way who can afford not to buy a new G5? ๐Ÿ™‚
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 12, 2004
All I can say about my G5 is that I am still delighting in the death of my G4.

[ I really didn’t murder it deliberately. Honest. "Not Guilty m’lud." ]
L
LRK
Jun 12, 2004
Of course not. I would never even think such a thing. Oink! Oink! 8)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 12, 2004
But it DID die! Very conveniently.
L
LRK
Jun 12, 2004
๐Ÿ˜‰
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Ann,

Please let me know if you kill your G5, erย… I mean, if your G5 should suddenly and unexpectedly die when a much faster one appears on the horizon. I’d be delighted to take it off your hands and attempt to resuscitate it for my own use, even if I have to turn it into a jazzy FrankenG5 by swapping parts of it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 12, 2004
I am hoping for a three-year life-span for this one but will certainly keep you in mind when this one starts to complain of cruel and unusual punishment or object to surreptitious, but well-aimed, kicks in its midribs.
R
Ram
Jun 12, 2004
Thanks, Ann. I’ve had broken ribs myself numerous times, and they all healed. I can nurse a computer with injured ribs back to health too.
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Beef time…

Remember my recent lightning and DSL Modem problems? We just checked on the replacement modem and come to find out, Earthlink has not even shipped it yet… and they can’t guarantee when it will be shipped.
L
Larryr544
Jun 16, 2004
Linda – Shades of Ann?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 16, 2004
Linda only managed to get her modem fried.
She must have disconnected it from her G4 before lightning struck. BIG mistake ย…ย…!
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Big mistake? Had to think about that one… I think I get it… If G4 is fried, then a G5 is in order… before losing the additional 17 pounds. Not sure I could pull that one off. :\
L
Larryr544
Jun 16, 2004
The truth comes out!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 16, 2004
How would you get your work done if the G4 was to "accidentally" die?

You would need to get that G5 immediately — even if you need an "overdraft" for the 17 pounds.

Just be sure that the newest G5s are actually shipping, AND are in stock, before you let the G4 get pneumonia.
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
I’m taking notes… ๐Ÿ˜‰
R
Ram
Jun 16, 2004
Linda,

Two steps: (1) take a golf club and clobber spouse with it; (2) buy a G5. End of story.
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
But I don’t have a golf club… 8)
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jun 16, 2004
Linda,

But I don’t have a golf club

Any blunt instrument will do ๐Ÿ˜‰
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
๐Ÿ˜‰
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Actually I wouldn’t trade him for the world. ๐Ÿ™‚
R
Ram
Jun 16, 2004
I’m not suggesting trading him, just getting his attention. Milk bottle will do.
R
Ram
Jun 16, 2004
Empty milk bottle, of course.
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
That would work since milk comes in plastic. Then again I could always turn on the charm.

Seriously though… I’m not in too big of a hurry. I am curious to see what else is coming.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 16, 2004
My guess is that nothing else is probably coming until January 2005 — at the earliest.

And you have already missed-out on nearly 9 months of G5-computingย….
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Back to celery and mustard. 8)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 16, 2004
The Ann Diet is SO much nicer — AND it works!
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
But I need to nibble… especially when dealing with stress… and I can’t nibble on the Ann Diet… ๐Ÿ™
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 16, 2004
Definitely NO nibbling.
But you can have chocolates — after a regular meal!
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Yes but once you start chocolate, can you stop before you eat too many? Not sure I can. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
P
Phosphor
Jun 16, 2004
Linda…

Does celery seem a little bland at times?

Try good ol’ red radishes <http://www.wholefoods.com/healthinfo/pro_radish.html>. VERY low on the calorie scale, with a nice little zing for your mouth to enjoy. Compare to celery <http://www.wholefoods.com/healthinfo/pro_celery.html>.
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Cool Phosphor… Radishes have 2 less grams of carbs than Celery. Must try them as an alternative munchie.

Truly every bland food tastes good when you get hungry enough. Add a little crunch and it’s downright exciting. ๐Ÿ˜‰
L
Lundberg02
Jun 16, 2004
Warning: a 2.5 ghz G5 will probably step on your DSL wireless adapter, just as 2.4 ghz cordless phones do, and I’m guessing will interfere with the cordless phone also. If you have a DSL modem that comes with a wireless transmitter you should set the transmit channel to channel 11, this should eliminate most interference, although you will still experience some random dropouts. If you are not linking to another computer with a wireless adapter, there won’t be a problem. If you are planning to buy or replace your cordless phone, make sure you get the 5 ghz type. Try to keep any cordless phone or base at least six feet from your computer and its modem and preferably 15 feet. DO NOT use a splitter on your DSL phone jack, plug the DSL modem directly into the wall and use the filtered jack on the modem for your long phone cord to the cordless base. Make sure every other phone in the house has a DSL filter. You would think that 2+ ghz devices would interfere with the wireless adapter since it is a receiver and thus would have signal to noise ratio difficulties, but it seems to be the transmitter’s frequency synthesizer that gets creamed. I have just gone through eight weeks of trying to keep my wireless adapter link from dropping out an average of 1.5 times a day. Numerous calls to the phone company and the modem mfg tech support have finally gotten me to the point where it only drops out two or three times a week. The first DSL modem had to be replaced because the transmitter had low output, but the second one seems to be ok.
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Lundberg: Thanks very much for that information. I’m sending a copy of it to my husband… especially since we are dealing with DSL modem issues right now… and my husband has been talking about getting a wireless router for his setup.
L
Lundberg02
Jun 16, 2004
I sincerely hope you don’t have the constant problems that I had. My provider is Qwest. The modem and adapter are by Actiontec. The instructions provided were somewhat confusing because the steps were out of order and Mac installations do not require using the CD that is provided. The Actiontec support people did not recognize the wireless adapter model number. QWest knows nothing about the adapter, and Actiontec was no help with the Qwest portion of the modem setup.
Although the modem was supposed to go online immediately when setup, it didn’t and the Qwest tech had to reset passwords and other data. I had to use a static IP in my ethernet control panel also, instead of the dynamic.
L
LRK
Jun 16, 2004
Wow, sorry you had so much trouble. I’ll pass this info along… his setup is a Dell.
L
Lundberg02
Jun 16, 2004
I had constant problems with the DSL at my other location too. although the setup itself was not the problem. The phone company, Verizon, claimed that the DSL had good signal level to the house, but in fact the line was extremely noisy due to the pair in the cable extending beyond our house another 1/4 mile, which acted like a noise antenna. It took them three months and five visits to figure it out .
There is no real advantage to DSL over 56k other than being online all the time, and fast file downloads, since your browser determines the page loading speed. IE 5 is slow, Nscape 6 is fast. If fast downloads are essential it’s worth the trouble.
R
Ram
Jun 16, 2004
Linda,

There’s an ever better solution if your home was built relatively recently (less than 30 years ago or so). A lot of homes are built with internal cabling for two or more lines. If you have one unused line, the phone company or ISP provider can split the DSL signal before it enters your house and route the phone and the digital lines through two separate lines. That way you don’t need signal splitters at any point in your wiring network, just the one the ISP uses to split the signal before it enters your home.

That’s the way I have it set up at home. The signal reaching the DSL router (often but inaccurately referred to as "modems", though they’re not modulating or demodulating anything) does so through a line that carries only digital data, not phone communications. Interference is non existent.

My G4, the wireless router and one of the printers are all connected to the DSL router, and my wife takes her G3 Powerbook anywhere in the (two-storey) house, permanently connected to the Internet, and can send print jobs to the PostScript printer.
R
Ram
Jun 16, 2004
Lundberg02,

There is no real advantage to DSL over 56k other than being online all the time, and fast file downloads, since your browser determines the page loading speed.

I don’t think you remember what it’s (was?) like to have to wait for a page to load when you’re on a 56k modem, or go from one site to another.

I find there’s a HUGE advantage to DSL!
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 17, 2004
Regarding: "There is no real advantage to DSL over 56k…"

That just is flat wrong. The dfference is huge unless [A] there is something very seriously wrong with your DSL or [B] you are using a seriously old/slow computer, in which case the box can be limiting.
L
LRK
Jun 17, 2004
Ramon, I am pretty sure we have extra lines. I remember discussing it when our house was built.

Glad Lundberg mentioned buying the 5 ghz type of cordless phone. My cordless phone is limping along just waiting to be replaced.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 17, 2004
Lundberg,

"There is no real advantage to DSL over 56k other than being online all the time, and fast file downloads, since your browser determines the page loading speed."

What!!?

My first broadband was DSL (I now have cable modem which is much better). When I went to DSL from 56K (5 years ago) the difference was astounding. After a year I moved to an area that had no broadband and had to tolerate 56K again for about 8 months until the cable was brought in. 56K was so slow and painful after DSL, I couldn’t use the Internet.

VL
L
LRK
Jun 17, 2004
So Cable is faster than DSL?
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 17, 2004
LRK,

Yes. I believe my current cable hookup (Roadrunner) just doubled its speed. It was about 40x 56K speed for file downloads. DSL was about 25x 56K speed. It’s absolutely untrue that page loading speed is the same for 56K and DSL. Everything is much, much faster. There is just no comparison. And in this area, cable is even better.

VL
L
Lundberg02
Jun 17, 2004
Verizon ran a dedicated line for DSL just before they found out what the real problem was. It is the best way to install DSL.
I stand by my statement that DSL does not improve page loading by any significant amount. The My Yahoo page takes two minutes to load in IE 5.1.7, and thirty seconds in Netscape 6.2. I have 12 huge portfolio lists in it. Netscape just handles it far faster. The downloads themselves only take a few seconds.
The server on the other end makes a huge difference also. This forum was abysmally slow today, for instance.
I have a G3 BW OS 9.2.2, no problem there.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 17, 2004
With a Cable connection, Safari normally loads my "Excite" page and any topic in these forums in under 2 seconds.

That is with 10.3.4 on a G5.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Can somebody tell me how to find the "shaking head" icon?

Dave?

Nilk?
R
Ram
Jun 17, 2004
Linda,

What I found in my specific location was that the performance of cable was erratic. It could indeed be a tad faster than my DSL at times like 3:30 am, but during normal hours it slowed down considerably, to the point that it was seven times slower than my DSL. I had both for about 15 weeks, the Internet cable connection was provided by Comcast, DSL by Surewest.

I kept the DSL connection only. I can’t tell you whether all cable connections slow down that dramatically when all users in your neighborhood are using them, because Comcast is a lousy service provider in the first place (not just of Internet cable services but also of cable TV programming, but their particular service was the only cable service available in my area. I abandoned it because of the lousy performance.

My DSL has been consistently in the 780+ Mbps range and I’m extremely pleased with Surewest’s service and tech support, which is available 24/7 with very reasonable wait times.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
My Comcast cable connection is rippin’ fast, no matter when I check it. I’m talking 3 megabits/sec D/L. Much faster than any standard residential DSL I know of.

Just lucky, I guess.
L
LRK
Jun 17, 2004
I can’t believe all the downtime we’ve experienced with Earthlink. I know it’s partly due to Bell South who provides Earthlink with the actual service but since my modem went out it seems Earthlink has dropped the ball. They promised to ship a new unit last week. When we realized it never came we called and found out it was never shipped. They can’t even promise when it will be shipped.

On my setup DSL makes a huge difference with browser pages loading… especially graphic intense pages, but even those under 50k take longer with a slow connection. It’s very hard to get used to. We are almost ready to absorb the loss of our contract with Earthlink in order to get a more reliable company.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 17, 2004
Lundberg,

Your experiences with DSL vs 56K are atypical, to say the least. I’ll accept that your page loading times are true for your computer, but they do not represent any general experience at all.

I am getting 2-4 megabits/sec.

Cable modem can slow down if there are a lot of subscribers active at one time. That doesn’t happen with DSL. When the installer was at my house, I asked her how much slowdown I should expect during "peak" use. She paused, got a look of resigned exasperation on her face, as one does when explaining someting to a child, or for the thousanth time, and explained that the entire population of Hawaii was not enough to slow the system, let alone that of Maui (15,000 Cable users, MUCH fewer cable modem users).

The only slowdowns I experience are due to system issues completely unrelated to my connection.

VL
L
Lundberg02
Jun 17, 2004
This is a good thread. I appreciate all the experience stories here. I am very reluctant to use cable modem, because of the user related slowdowns that can occur. In some kind of national crisis, you might not be able to get speeds better than a slow dial up. The main problem with DSL is the installation itself if the phone company’s comptence is questionable. The wireless adapter problem is a general failure of systems engineering on the part of the modem/adapter companies. Someone in the forums mentioned a modem company that was particularly bad, unfortunately I don’t remember who it was, but I do remember that it was one of the experts.
L
LRK
Jun 17, 2004
My husband is on the phone with Earthlink AGAIN. They STILL have not shipped our replacement modem. Be sure to NOT use Earthlink if you don’t want to go through the trouble we have. We’ve been without DSL for one WEEK now.

We are going with Bell South I think…
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Linda…

Could you not go to a local store and buy a cheap modem, and return Earthlink’s modem when it arrives?

Had I been you, I’d’ve been at the store the next day.

A week?!?!

How can you cope!

EDIT: Duuuhhh….What are you doing to get online now?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 17, 2004
As evidenced by thread commentary, real world broadband throughput varies by installation, location, service provider, etc. "Speeds" as often quoted are frequently a misnomer because (often uncalculated) latency is a huge component of throughput. Generally in my SF Bay and northern California experience DSL throughput has been much more consistently acceptable than cable modem.

DSL installs by definition require that the techs adequately clean the lines, so it behooves the purchaser to insist on consistent fast throughput performance before signing off on the installation.
L
LRK
Jun 17, 2004
I’m using AOL dialup right now. I asked my husband about buying a DSL modem and he said we have to use theirs. Is that not so? I will be near Comp USA tonight… but don’t have time to wait for a response… Oh well, he is on the phone with Bell South now placing a new order.

How do I cope? Not very well. Fortunately I finished a Web site right before it went down. At this moment I’m attempting to download a 53 MB file. Hopefully it will be done without being knocked off by the time I need to work on it in the morning. 8)

Well… gotta go…
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 17, 2004
Good luck Linda on receiving 53 MB via dialup.

All my DSL installs in various locations have required use of a specific telco supplied modem.
VL
Venicia_L_2
Jun 17, 2004
I have two different DSL modems sitting in my closet from previous installs. They are different from each other. Neither would work on my present line if I were to return to DSL.

VL
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
"All my DSL installs in various locations have required use of a specific telco supplied modem."

Just so I don’t have to go Googling, could you explain to me why this is?

I thought all of that type of hardware was supposed to be standardized. What, do they flash some sort of coding into an EEPROM in the modem so that it is only recognizable by the service provider who stipulated its use?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 17, 2004
My guess is because they intentionally make it a hardware part of what they sell and support. Having all identical modems is most efficient, the actual modem hardware costs next to nothing in large volume, and the consumer can see a real piece of hardware they are paying all that front money for.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
That still doesn’t answer my question, though, Allen.

Are you telling me that if I had a look at the model number of the DSL modem that came with the ISP’s install package, and bought one of my own that was the same make and model, that it wouldn’t work because it wasn’t provided by the ISP?

If so, that’s insane.
L
Lundberg02
Jun 17, 2004
I’m guessing that if you buy your modem from a store that the phone company would not provide you with the setup info you have to have.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 17, 2004
Phosphor-

I did not say yours necessarily would not work. I am simply saying that (in my experience of a dozen or so different DSL/cable installs) they sell a turnkey package, forcing you to buy theirs, and if you did put yours in the setup they would not support the modified setup.
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2004
Comcast has no problem if you buy your own cable modem.
R
Ram
Jun 17, 2004
Some of the other resaons I’m so pleased with Surewest are: (1) they didn’t charge me a penny for the router (DSL "modem"); the two times I’ve needed service (underground water damage), the techs have been at the house within a few hours after I call them; if the device fails, they exchange it immediately at no charge; and so far service hasn’t been interrupted once. Their FTP site was blocked for uploads once, but the problem was corrected promptly.

Anyway, when they replaced the router ("modem"), they did have to burn some proprietary info into it. I have no idea if all ISPs follow the same procedure.
L
LRK
Jun 18, 2004
Well guess what? The modem was shipped afterall and it arrived after I left tonight. And guess what else? It wasn’t the modem. Our DSL is still not working. They told us they could tell that everything was in order with exception to the modem. Now we have two Earthlink Modems that don’t work and my husband has cancelled the service. Oy!
L
LRK
Jun 18, 2004
Allen: Looks like the large file finished downloading. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 18, 2004
Curious – here in Aus the ISPs generally allow you to use whatever modem you like for DSL- although as a neophyte I bought one from my ISP which they set up with the right login codes so that I didn’t have to deal with that side of the install myself and I was sure they would be able to suport it in the event of problems- all I had to do was just set up the ethernet on the two computers so they could read the IIP adress from the router, which was dead easy. And you Never see an installer from the ISP – it’s very much do it yourself.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 18, 2004
Here in the States the phone installers typically have been somewhat lazy over the years, allowing much excess jumk wiring to build up in parts of most telephone connections. For optimum DSL connections the lines must be fairly "clean" so unless it is brand new and properly wired all the way back to the (maximum 3 miles distant) switch every DSL install pretty much needs technician attention.
L
LRK
Jun 18, 2004
I could cry. I’ve spent the whole day trying to resolve connection issues just so I could get online through my phone. Now that I’m on I can’t seem to retrieve my email.

I took everything apart and reworked all the wires so I could try a different phone jack. It seems to have helped but now there are other issues.

The new company we just signed up with, Bell South, said they cannot guarantee DSL until Monday. They did say we could use the modem we have from Earthlink which has me puzzled after all the previous talk that you have to use each company’s modem. Anyway today was almost totally shot and I’m exhausted. But at least I actually got on… for now.
L
Lundberg02
Jun 18, 2004
My Qwest DSL hasn’t dropped out for eight days now, a modern day record. When you call them you get a recording if they are having DSL network problems. I have heard this message several times and it referred to problems in other states, but the tech would always say that they weren’t experiencing any in my area. It does make you suspicious. I have had dropouts due to electrical storms.

My problems have been interference, bad "modem", and crappy phone line. It makes me laugh to see the ads on TV touting cable modem and DSL
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jun 18, 2004
Interesting and important as DSL, Cable, etc are this thread is going on 100 plus posts and is titled New G5s. You could say it’s gone a tad off track this past while back and really hasn’t a lot to do with G5s or Photoshop.

It’s not my intention to mess with the thread (meaning you can carry on as you choose) but please consider those just beginning to read the thread (New G5s) and their reaction when things get this far off topic.

Ian
L
LRK
Jun 18, 2004
Sorry Ian…
L
Larryr544
Jun 18, 2004
Linda – Since you are online mostproviders allow you to get your email by going to their webpage and looking at it right there. Try it!
L
LRK
Jun 18, 2004
Thanks Larry. I retrieved some of it that way but some of the messages didn’t show up.

That’s all I will say on this thread… since Ian’s admonition in the previous post.
C
Cindy
Jun 19, 2004
Wow. All the problems you guys are having. My DSL has been running with no downtime ever in years. Just when I was getting tired of them you all made me find a new respect ๐Ÿ™‚

Linda, maybe you fried something in your computer instead of the modem and you can get your new G5 now!

How’s that for mixing up G5’s and modems?
R
Ram
Jun 19, 2004
Reading about all those DSL problems makes me realize I have been very fortunate too.

At the beginning I was a little frustrated that there is a single ISP available in my area, SureWest, which is the so-called high-tech arm of the Roseville Telephone Company, a Northern California independent phone company that was never a part of Ma Bell or ATT. Over time I have come to appreciate the personal attention and tech support.

Now, since Cindy has graciously brought us back on topic :), I looked at the announcement of the new G5s and don’t see any major breakthrough. Is there something I’m missing?

My hope is that there will be used G5s in the market in the near future, so I can add one to the G4 which I will still need for booting into 9.2.2. Maybe I’ll just wait for whatever model is available if and when the 64-bit OS is released.
L
Larryr544
Jun 19, 2004
I’m using DSL and have had no problems!
B
Buko
Jun 19, 2004
My Qwest DSL is solid as a rock.
L
Larryr544
Jun 19, 2004
I’m on Qwest and Spiritone!
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 19, 2004
Linda’s and Lundberg’s DSL problems were what I briefly had when DSL first became available in the SF Bay Area quite a few years ago.

Linda-

DSL splits one phone line into a voice portion and a data portion. The voice portion remains with the same functionality of the original analog phone line, so yes, you can use your old analog modem on the voice portion of the line. However it requires the telco’s DSL modem/router to facilitate broadband on the data portion of the line.
B
Buko
Jun 19, 2004
Qwest is my ISP and DSL provider now.

I was with Earthlink. what a mess that was.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 19, 2004
Linda:

My e-mail to you is getting returned by mail daemon. I am re-sending and hope that you eventually get it.
——–

Ramรณn:

The new top-of-the-line 2.5 GHz G5 is only a fraction faster than mine but is liquid-cooled. As it’s not a huge advance, I doubt if it will be enough to push any of the earlier 2GHz Duals on to the second-hand market just yet.
L
Lundberg02
Jun 19, 2004
I can see it now. Trotting over to CompUSA for a six pack of G5 coolant. "My computer’s running on empty. I gotta fill up before I go another 12 megabytes." "Coolant is 2.47.9? Damn those terrorists."

I knew my DSL would drop out if I praised it. Went down about 8:30 pm today. Had to reset the "modem" even though all lights were green. That’s what really is annoying. You walk past it all lights green go to the computer on the wireless, DSL is down, reset the adapter hoping that’s all it is, nope, go back in the other room, pull plug, wait 30 sec, go back, try email, try again, finally it’s up.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 19, 2004
Pulling the plug actually IS the way to fix a number of problems. Pull the plug on the router too, if you use one.
L
LRK
Jun 19, 2004
Well, I was going to abstain from using this thread to discuss DSL but don’t want to ignore those of you who addressed me… so I’m breaking my silence for the moment. If I get chastised I get chastised. 8)

Got your email Ann. Just sent one back.

Buko: Glad to know we’re not the only ones to have back luck with Earthlink.

Allen: Thanks for the explanation. That’s why we have to have filters on the jacks that share DSL with phones. Looks like Bell South is using our personal line instead of the fax line this time. That will take some reworking of things on our part.

As for the new Macs, are they really liquid cooled? Looking forward with anticipation to my next purchase. Not in a hurry but it’s nice to see Apple continue to be so innovative.
JG
Jim_Goshorn
Jun 19, 2004
Currently I am working on a G4 dual 1.42 and I figure the new G5 is about 2x the speed (correct??) and if that’s the case, I am going to hold out longer for either 3x speed or 64bit OS so I can really make use of all the extra RAM in the G5.

For those of you who have G5’s now, does my take seem correct or am I missing something? My primary use is digital photography and PS and file sizes range from 300mb to 1gb.

Jim
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 19, 2004
The newest G5 2.5 GHz is probably more than three-times the speed of your G4.

This was one report on the 2 GHz (which was the top of the line before the 2.5):

<< Thomas Tannenberger, a special-effects supervisor and compositor at Look Effects in Hollywood, recently replaced his 1.25-gigahertz dual-processor G4 with the top-tier G5, then compared the two machines. "None of the software I’m using has been optimized for the G5 yet," he says. "Yet the increase in speed is three-fold over the old machine. >>

The Pfeiffer report, which you can get from here,:
<http://www.apple.com/powermac/>
puts the G5 2.5 at four- to six-times the speed of a G4.

You might be rather happy if your G4 can be encouraged to conk-outย…ย…
L
LRK
Jun 19, 2004
Wow! My G4 is only 1 Ghz. I can’t imagine the speed increase I would experience.

I don’t want it to conk out though. When i get a new one I will need this one as a backup. Getting ready to set my husband up on the G4 500 mgz so he can help out with some monthly maintenance on some Web sites. He will have to use a Mac for that or I will not help him… and this is stuff related to his business. ๐Ÿ˜‰
IL
Ian_Lyons
Jun 19, 2004
Linda,

If I get chastised I get chastised.

You won’t be chastised by me, but I am taking notes ๐Ÿ˜‰
L
LRK
Jun 19, 2004
Sounds good then! ๐Ÿ™‚
L
Larryr544
Jun 19, 2004
Chastisement. OK done. Please continue.
L
LRK
Jun 19, 2004
Next time I get chastised I want you to promise that you will do anything but please don’t send me a new G5. Throw me into the briar patch, give me 50 lashes with a wet noodle, but please don’t send me a new G5. ๐Ÿ˜‰
L
Larryr544
Jun 19, 2004
Well Linda I had planned on doing that, sending you a new G5 2.5 dual, but I guess I’ll keep it. I put it in the closet!
L
LRK
Jun 19, 2004
Hm… :\
B
Buko
Jun 19, 2004
OK I’ll take dual 2.5 G5 and you can have post 3000
JV
John_Vitollo
Jun 19, 2004
LRK>give me 50 lashes with a wet noodle

You’d love all those carbs!
L
LRK
Jun 20, 2004
Good point… pasta is out!
L
Larryr544
Jun 20, 2004
Right to the point.
CW
Chuck_Wolff
Jun 20, 2004
At the eweek site the writers are talking about Apple getting out of the computer biz. Making only I Pod and home entertainment gadgets. This is a linux and open source site, hard to figure what their angle is. Does anyone know how fast the G5 loads MS Office 2004? My old G4 400 is ready to go to pasture.
RH
r_harvey
Jun 20, 2004
eWeek is an IT/Enterprise site, with an emphasis on big business. Columnists do try to ‘pull a Dvorak’ every now and then, just to get publicity. Are you talking about What the World Needs Now: An Intel-Based, Linux-Powered <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1606860,00.asp>, which the author admits is fantasy, or Apple Should Stay the Mac Course <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1590292,00.asp>, or is there another article?
L
LRK
Jun 20, 2004
What? Apple getting out of the computer business? No way! I guess we’ll have to stock up on them if that happens. 8)

BTW, How are you doing Chuck? Long time no see… Happy Father’s Day!

…. and the same to the rest of you dads…
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 20, 2004
Linda-

Regarding "Looks like Bell South is using our personal line instead of the fax line this time. That will take some reworking of things on our part." Because DSL just splits the line into voice and data, your voice line can remain as is. No reworking necessary.
B
Buko
Jun 20, 2004
APPLE IS DEAD!!!!!!!!

yeah right!

<http://www.macobserver.com/appledeathknell/>
C
Cindy
Jun 20, 2004
I don’t think Apple is going anywhere!! It sure would depress me if it did.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 21, 2004
The computer can stay.

The Steve should go though.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 21, 2004
The Steve had better stay!
Or haven’t you noticed what Apple’s stock has been doing recently?! < http://money.excite.com/jsp/qt/full.jsp?symbol_search_text=A APL>
L
Larryr544
Jun 21, 2004
Yes unfortunatly… well that’s for another site.
L
LRK
Jun 21, 2004
DSL is STILL down! … and I’ve been told to stay off the internet because of the limited minutes with the phone line. This is a mess.
C
Cindy
Jun 21, 2004
Looks like the stock is doing pretty good compared to the last time I looked.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 21, 2004
< GLOAT > !!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 21, 2004
Over inflated. like his ego.

it’ll crash.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 21, 2004
Apple did crash once: when Steve was pushed out.

The company, and the stock, only recovered when he returned.

As far as I am concerned, Steve can inflate his ego as much as he wants if he will just continue to do what he’s doing!
C
Cindy
Jun 21, 2004
Sometimes it takes the ego to do the kind of things that need to be done.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 21, 2004
I agree with Ann. Although I don’t think that, ethically, he is any better than any other CEO, Steve does seem to have a genuine desire to make a computer user’s lot a happier one.
L
Larryr544
Jun 21, 2004
And the stock crashed from over 80 to under 20 WHILE STEVE was there more recently. And in one day.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 21, 2004
What Ann said…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 21, 2004
Larry:

When?
I have been tracking this stock ever since Steve returned and I don’t remember that. Could you be confusing the value of the stock before the shares were split 2:1?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 21, 2004
Hopefully the CEO of Apple will continue to have the perspicacity to see farther ahead than what the stock does in any given day.
L
Larryr544
Jun 21, 2004
That fateful day 9/29/2000 when the stock (post split) moved from 53.5 to 25.75 and before the end of that year dipped below 14. Steve had been back for quite a while, had his jet, and all of those stock options. His stock options became worthless but Apple has given him outright grants since then. He’s in the top five list of the highest paid executives (Jet and Stock) even though his salary is $1. On 9/29/2000 Apple missed earnings and warned about future misses. They still had about a &5 market share which is about half that now.

< http://money.excite.com/jsp/ct/bigchart.jsp?symbol_search_te xt=AAPL&chartdate=7>
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 21, 2004
Too much focus on market share is lame. Sort of like saying Heineken is bad beer because they are not (ugh) Budweiser.

Apple has been by far the most innovative – in hardware and OS – computer maker for thirty+ years (since the Steves started Apple in a garage) in a very competitive market that has trashed most competitors. And still profitable.

Folks that want Apple to be Dell should rethink.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jun 21, 2004
Meanwhile, these new G5s then, has anybody ordered one yet?
Z
Zeb
Jun 21, 2004
Liquid cooled? Looks like a truck’s radiator.
< http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=News&file=ar ticle&sid=3927> OK it’s a close up.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 21, 2004
It does look like a truck radiator. I bet it is effective enough for quad processing…
JV
John_Vitollo
Jun 21, 2004
Cool!!!
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 21, 2004
Fresh!
L
Lundberg02
Jun 22, 2004
Compusamart: Beer, Ice, Beach Supplies, RAM, Free Air and Water for your G5
L
Larryr544
Jun 22, 2004
No criticism of Apple intended. I was simply answering Ann’s question.

Announced today that Apple has sold it’s second supercomputer, BMW’s are now iPOD compatible and earnings forecasts are up. apple.com
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 22, 2004
Oh, I have lots of criticisms of Apple. They can forget where their bread is buttered fairly frequently.
C
Cindy
Jun 22, 2004
Wouldn’t someone have to pay a lot less taxes if their salary were $1 and they receive their compensation through "options"? I mean I don’t know that much about how it works but I just had the thought.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 22, 2004
No.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jun 22, 2004
So how do YOU get around it then Tod man? ๐Ÿ˜‰
L
Larryr544
Jun 22, 2004
The Jet only cost about $100,000,000 plus Apple paid the taxes on it and they operate it for him.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 22, 2004
Are you calling the TaxMan stupid? : )
(I call him mean and boring)
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Jun 22, 2004
….and money hungry.
L
LRK
Jun 22, 2004
Is that liquid cooled G5 for real or is it a joke? I’m serious…
B
Buko
Jun 22, 2004
L
LRK
Jun 22, 2004
That’s really something, isn’t it! Just sent the link to my husband… he will laugh because I’m a long way away from getting that G5.
CW
c_watts
Jun 22, 2004
I had a cable modem in LA, and it seemed like the latency (time for the initial response) was higher than DSL, but once things got going, it was WAY faster. And this was in a pretty "high internet" neighborhood. I saw no evidence of time-of-day related speed changes.

I eventually dumped it because I was baitswitched by Adelphia (surely the most corrupt company I’ve ever dealt with) but I may go back. Now that number portability is legal in CA, I can ditch my satellite and my land line. For waaaaay less money, I can get all the cable channels, internet, AND VoIP. At least until Elliot Spitzer get elected president!

Still, I am a little apprehensive about the latency. My Halo score may suffer.

chris
L
Lundberg02
Jun 23, 2004
I have now had my replacement Qwest (Actiontec) DSL router/modem one month. I have had 10 dropouts or once every three days on average. Half of these dropouts I attribute to weather related power or phone line transients. For instance, today, watching cable TV, service was interrupted briefly and cordless phones beeped at same time indicating reset, so I knew DSL would be out. It was. Weather unsettled, possible lightning strike too far away to hear. I expect rain later.
RM
Rick_McCleary
Jun 23, 2004
re; DSL, cable modems, etc.

There is a new satellite-based broadband service. Wild Blue Communications is launching their satellite on July 9, will test the rest of the year, and offer the service in early 2005.

If all is as they say, it will be a wonderful alternative to what’s currently available:
1.5Mbps download
256Kbps upload (!)
approx $40/month
approx $150 start-up

I’ve got no interest in the company, but am following their progress with great interest.

www.wildblue.com
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 23, 2004
How good is a satellite connection in bad weather or if you don’t have a clear view of the horizon? (We are surrounded by forested hills.)
And is the connection available round-the-clock?
RM
Rick_McCleary
Jun 23, 2004
Check their website for FAQ’s.

The current satellite service (Direcway) works well in clear weather and somewhat affected by clouds and storms. However, Direcway is twice as expensive. I don’t know if Wild Blue is addressing the weather problem with their technology.

The connection is always on. All you need is a clear view of the southern sky from anywhere in the lower 48. The satellite is in a geo-synchronous orbit, i.e.stationary in the sky.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 23, 2004
A clear view of the southern forest trees is what I have!

(Not that it matters because we do have Cable and there are not too many subscribers in the immediate area so web-access is very fast.)
RM
Rick_McCleary
Jun 23, 2004
The main attraction for me is the cost. The promise of performance is enticing; we’ll just have to wait and see.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 23, 2004
Cable is about $40 a month here. We buy an all-in package which includes telephone (2 lines), TV and internet service and it is proving far more economical than buying the services separately from different vendors.
L
Lundberg02
Jun 23, 2004
By the time they are on air they will be 150% the price of DSL for the same speed. They will never get away with their initial cost either.
Their pointing angle is the same as Direct TV. They will have solar problems the same as Direct TV.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jun 23, 2004
I agree, their prices and performance are likely to be similar to DirectTV who already provides the same service. The service here (6000 feet elevation Sierra Nevada CA) does not go down very often, even in major blizzards. It is necessary to brush snow off the dish in certain kinds of wet snow storms.
C
Cindy
Jun 24, 2004
That sounds like a pretty good deal Ann. You are in NY right? I don’t think there is any kind of offer like that around here (CA).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 24, 2004
Yes, we are in NY State (not city).

Our local Cable company was RCN but they have just been taken-over by SUSCOM so we hope that the same deal will continue to be offered.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 24, 2004
doubt it.
C
Cindy
Jun 24, 2004
If I got a deal like that out here I’d snap it up. Im paying for DSL, two phones lines and of course my cell. It mounts up.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 25, 2004
Mike, I finally got a semi-evasive answer to the question: how much for the Tango?

The guess will be yours on which of the two units the price was about (the more used one or the less), but the bottom line was $20K.

I think you can call Raja at 212 633-6000 (ColorEdge is in the book anyway).
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks

I’ll see if the powers that be are ready.

They just spent 14 million on moving so……

um.

mo
J
jaymorgan30
Jun 28, 2004
wrote in message news:…
I agree, their prices and performance are likely to be similar to DirectTV who already provides the same service. The service here (6000 feet elevation Sierra Nevada CA) does not go down very often, even in major blizzards. It is necessary to brush snow off the dish in certain kinds of wet snow storms.

Wildblue will use spotbeam KA-Band technology similar to the military, DIRECWAY and Starband use KU-Band to provide internet access which is a much more expensive, slower technology.

Wildblue will be much faster, and cheaper. I have one-way (download through satellite, upload through phone-line) satellite access through a local provider that cost about 150 at start up and is 49.99 a month..I really like it.
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
Anyone care to comment on THIS? <http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index17.html>
B
Buko
Aug 16, 2004
It’s not a G5!!!
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
I know but I may end up needing one. Any word on G5 laptops coming?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 16, 2004
Not this year Linda.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 16, 2004
If I may borrow Ann’s crystal ball, I’d see… Twiggy.
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
? ? ? Twiggy ? ? ?

Oh yeah… lol…

No, this one is based on a different deal my husband is making…

Want to hear about it?
C
Cindy
Aug 16, 2004
Want to hear about it?

Maybe yes…Will it tick me off?
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 16, 2004
(Hmm… If you think it would tick someone off… maybe : )

I don’t need to know, to wish you good luck.

Good Luck!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 16, 2004
<< Any word on G5 laptops coming? >>

There is a major problem with cooling G5s in a laptop so go for that G4 Powerbookย—in addition to a G5 Desktop.

But what else does the "Deal" involve ?
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
My husband wants to hire me to work for him 5 days a week, 4 hours a day. I will be stationed at another location where I will serve as a receptionist and do some secretarial work. In order to keep up with my own business I will have to have carry my own computer with me.
Z
Zeb
Aug 16, 2004
Carrying an Apple G5 tower should make you lose some weight.
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
Oh yes…
C
Cindy
Aug 16, 2004
Linda,

It all depends on whether or not you need to personally establish some independance. It has been my experience that there are some major advantages to NOT working for a husband or wife (whichever the case). Even partnerships are difficult but working for is even worse in my estimation.
R
Ram
Aug 16, 2004
Can you spell C-O-N-T-R-O-L F-R-E-A-K?
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
I know exactly what you’re saying Cindy… I’ve done it before and… well… hm…

However, the pressure is on… and…
C
Cindy
Aug 16, 2004
However, the pressure is on… and…

I refer you to what Ramon said…
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
Hey friends… I appreciate ya’ll looking out for me but I really can’t complain. I am very blessed… so let’s talk about the 17" Powerbook… which is pretty pricey, isn’t it…
L
Larryr544
Aug 17, 2004
It’s so much more expensive than a tower given the performance, which has always been the case for portables.
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
It really is Larry… I really want to stay where I am… but then I don’t want to be selfish… However I really don’t want to give up my own business. ๐Ÿ™
C
Cindy
Aug 17, 2004
However I really don’t want to give up my own business.

Not to be a receptionist….not that there is anything wrong with receptionists but I do think your business is taking off isnt it? ๐Ÿ˜‰
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
My business is very rewarding… first because it’s what I love to do… and yes, I do seem to keep getting work. I’ve invested years of study and practice into learning as much as I can. I still study every chance I get that I’m not actually working… I study on my exercise bike, when riding in the car, when sitting out in the sun… ๐Ÿ™‚ Besides I really enjoy the community of creative people I’ve come to know through these forums. There is way too much going on right now to give up what I do. If I have end up working somewhere else I might just have to get that laptop.

Question: Does anyone know how much, if any, faster the 17" Powerbook might be than my G4 1 Ghz DP?
R
Ram
Aug 17, 2004
Linda,

Does anyone know how much, if any, faster the 17" Powerbook might be than my G4 1 Ghz DP?

Interesting question. I’ll wait to see what experienced Power users have to say, but I wouldn’t expect the laptop to be faster, frankly. Given that Photoshop does take advantage of the dual processors, and considering the smaller (512K) L2 cache of the 17" Powerbook, I doubt that the difference in clock speed can make up the difference.
R
Ram
Aug 17, 2004
But my opinion doesn’t count; I’ve never had any use for a laptop. I’ve got a Powerbook G3 series sitting in the closet that I’m sure I used for less than two hours total, including software installation time.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 17, 2004
Linda-

The PB will be slower; the nature of laptop architecture. That said, it should be totally workable, and laptops are not a bad deal when you consider the cost of a 17" monitor.

I too have a dual GB G4, and may be replacing my 800 MHz TiBook with a 17" later this week if I can sell the TiBook to a client…
L
Larryr544
Aug 17, 2004
Linda – It will be slower. It’s a 1.25 GHZ single.

Selfish…OK it’s time for me to come out. I’m a therapist and my web page is at larryrogers.com. I was an engineer many years ago and wrote some of the original specs for some of the filters that we are included in PS CS including the one that we hate the most.

My hobby is photography and I have studied and even used PS commercially for many years.

Selfish – what do you mean. It’s not selfish for you to pursue your dreams. If you are studying PS etc. as much as you say then don’t stop. You’ll be miserable as a secretary.

Your husband can afford to pay a secretary if he can afford to get you a new machine if you lose weight. Something else is going on here. And I’m not saying that your husband is a bad guy either. I don’t know him. Just don’t take on selfish. If you love what you are doing the pursue it and you will be sucessful! From what I have seen here you must have great customer relationships as you tend to make friends with everyone here.

My email is on my web page if you want to communicate privatly about this.
L
LRK
Aug 17, 2004
Thank you Larry…
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 18, 2004
Linda-

I am ordering a 17" PowerBook tomorrow, now starting a new thread to find the best RAM source.
L
LRK
Aug 18, 2004
That is exciting Allen!!! I can’t wait to hear how you like it…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections