JA
Posted By
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone else had the problem of Photoshop sucking up memory from the main drive? I’ve set my scratch disk to a dedicated "scratch" drive with 12 GB empty space plus I’ve also set additional scratch drives up. I’ve been using Photoshop since 1990 and until now (Photoshop CS) I’ve never experienced this problem. Basically, it seems that this new Photoshop is using my Scratch Disk AND my main drive. Does anyone know how to make it stop doing this and to run like previous versions? Maybe this is just a bug?

Thank you for your time.

-Jason

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 8, 2004
If you specify the scratch as somewhere other than the main drive, then Photoshop won’t use the main drive.

But the OS can use the system drive for it’s paging file.

And the system drive is most likely where your preferences are stored, plus caches (filebrowser, fonts, color data, etc.).
JA
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 8, 2004
Yeah that’s what I have done. I’m really annoyed at the fact that Photoshop CS does use the main drive’s space for needed cache and Photoshop 7 doesn’t. It’s actually better for me to just stay in 7 which sucks because the beauty of CS, for me, is using folders inside of folders when working with large multiple layer movie posters. Thanks for your time.

-Jason
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 8, 2004
Photoshop 7 used the main drive for cache just the same as CS.
JA
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 8, 2004
That may be, but obviously there is a problem when Photoshop CS’s cache increases with every file I open . . . exceeding 2 GB’s. That’s not right and IT IS different from 7.
L
Larryr544
Jun 8, 2004
Drives are inexpensive….get another large one.
R
Ram
Jun 8, 2004
Jason,

Welles Goodrich "Photoshop CS Adjusted Refresh plug-in now available" 6/2/04 7:05pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

The Adjusted Refresh plug-in will also reduce the initial scratch disk usage after you launch Photoshop.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 9, 2004
Jason – it works almost the same as 7, just with a larger initial allocation.

Yes, it is right, even if it is different.
JA
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 9, 2004
Well Chris, I’ve been doing comparisons all day. The Photoshop CS "swap files" grow at a much greater rate compared to the "swap files" generated by Photoshop 7. This has been confirmed by Apple and Adobe and an Apple programmer friend of mine. They said the only solution is to re-partition the hard drive back to only one partition (so that the scratch disk is the same as the main drive – then it only writes ONE file for the "swap" and scratch) or use Photoshop 7. Another solution is to re-route the "swap files" to a different partition or drive. This is explained at:
< http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200012150214401 38&query=swapfile>

Thank you for ALL your input though.

-Jason
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
Jason that link you posted has nothing to do with Photoshop Scratch disks.

that link is about System SWAP files.
R
Ram
Jun 9, 2004
Jason,

Buko is correct. The OS swap files are totally independent from Photoshop’s scratch disks.
L
Larryr544
Jun 9, 2004
jason – Ramon is correct that Buko is right.
B
Buko
Jun 9, 2004
Jason, if the photoshop scratch disk is on the same drive as the system SWAP file it will slow down photoshop, because a drive has only one set of read/write heads and can’t write both the SWAP file and the Photoshop Scratch disk at the same time.

Also the link is back from Dec 15 2000. OSX has evolved much since then. Moving the SWAP file to another drive is not recomended anymore. In fact it causes more trouble than its worth. I know, I’ve done it.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 10, 2004
Swap files are used by the OS.

Scratch files are used by Photoshop.

Both will act the same under Photoshop CS as they did under Photoshop 7, except immediately after launching where the Photoshop CS memory and scratch usage will be larger (due to larger tile sizes for better performance).

Nobody has confirmed that Photoshop CS’s scratch grows faster than 7, because it’s not true.
JA
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 10, 2004
Listen, the scratch file OR the scratch drive set-up IS NOT the problem. Pay attention. The problem is the Swap Files that the system creates from Photoshop CS and how rapidly they grow as a result of opening large layered files. I posted an article about changing the location of these Swap Files, but as Buko has pointed out, it is an old article and moving the location of Swap Files is not recommended. That’s it. Done.
R
Ram
Jun 10, 2004
Jason.

YOU pay attention.

Next time you launch Photoshop look at the splash screen and look for the name of Chris Cox there. That will give you an insight into whom you’re talking to. Alternatively click on his name on any of his posts.

Once you wipe the egg off your face, read his posts (and other posts) in this thread. You might even learn something.
JA
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 10, 2004
Well, how lame is Ramón G Castañeda??? Settle down Mr. Sensitive. All I was saying, so you can understand, is that the issue is over (the problem was Swap Files). ALL input except yours was appreciated and a big help. Please stop wasting everyone’s time with worthless posts.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 10, 2004
The problem, Jason, was that you fail/failed to grasp the difference between Swap Files and Scratch Disks — and you were less than polite to those who attempted to help you.
JA
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 10, 2004
Whatever Ann. I completely grasp "the difference". I was questioning it at the beginning, but quickly realized the problem wasn’t the Scratch Disk but the Swap Files. Why is it that the sensitive Photoshop users are the only ones that look at this forum? If I ever post again, I’ll make sure to be super sweet and send lots of hugs and kisses. Have a amazing and wonderful day Ann.
R
Ram
Jun 10, 2004
Hugs and kisses are not necessary or wanted. Basic decency and manners are.
JA
jason_a_schmidt
Jun 10, 2004
Does anyone have a sense of humor? Can anyone here loosen up? AND, stop being "yes men". It’s okay to gripe and get to the point without being overly polite. It’s fine to complain and criticize Apple or Adobe and especially Quark. This is how things change and become better.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections