BE
Posted By
Barry_E._Levin
Dec 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using "Attach To Email" places a photo in the body of Apple Mail v1.2.5 (OS 10.2.8). Windows users do not receive, or sometimes do receive but can not open, the attachment. Any suggestions?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 1, 2003
Barry,

When you say "attach" places a photo into the message, does it also attach the message as a separate file?

If you are sending tha email to folks who do not use an email program capable of displaying the picture, they won’t be able to see it in the message itself but might be able to open the "attachment."

If you are sending the email to folks on AOL, I don’t believe they will see it at all.

I’m not to sure I have answered your question so please ask for clarification if necessary.

Dick
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 1, 2003
OS X’s Mail does in fact display the image in the body of the email while it’s on the senders Mac even though it’s treated just like a regular attachment (Thanks Quartz). When a Windows user receives the email, the image will most likely show up as an attachment.

Here are a couple of reason’s why the recipient might not be able to open the attachment:

1. The image is too big for the recipients email account. Many low cost or "free" email accounts can only handle up to x amount of email (including any other mail and or attachments). If I remember right, Juno for example, has a 3mb mailbox limit (correct me if I’m wrong).

2. The image wasn’t converted to .jpg format. If the image was attached as a PSD file, for example, the recipient would have to have Elements or Photoshop (or another utility) installed in order to open the image.

Mail doesn’t do anything special to an image that would render the image un openable in Windows. As long as the image is converted to and attached as a jpg, anyone should be able to open the image.

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 1, 2003
Yes, but Joe "attach to e-mail in PE automatically sizes the attachment down and converts to jpg, so that shouldn’t be Barry’s problem.

Barry, ask them to erase the jpg extension and add it back again (preferably all in caps) when that happens. Sometimes that will force XP, at least, to recognize a recalcitrant JPG.

I myself prefer to zip the file before sending rather than use attach to email, because there’s nothing in attach to email or any mail application that prevents the receiver’s mail server from wreaking havoc on attachments of any sort if it can access them.
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
I notice now in Mail in Panther (10.3) that there is a "Make compatible for Windows" checkbox. And I do recall issues with Windows users receiving photo attachments in 10.2. A search over in Apple’s forums for 10.2 show that EXIF data and thumbnails both cause problems. So, Barry, maybe if you used Photoshop Elements’ Save For Web feature it would work since it should remove all that extraneous junk.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 1, 2003
Hi, Lou. Just FYI, I helped Ernie with the testing for EXIF data problems and we came up with no real evidence on that one, just the usual resource fork/data fork issues. Anyway, save for web, then zip, is a good idea.
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
OK, that’s good to know, Barbara. Thanks.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Dec 1, 2003
Barb,

Yes, but Joe "attach to e-mail in PE automatically sizes the attachment down and converts to jpg, so that shouldn’t be Barry’s problem.

Well, sort of. He first has to "Auto Convert" or "Send as is" if the file he’s sending is fairly large to make it small enough to email and to convert it to a jpg. If he accidentally (or purposely) hit the "Send as is" button, he’d be sending it in what ever format the original is (PSD, tiff, ect.). I’ve done this myself because I’m so used to just hitting the Return key instead of mousing to a dialog box button. If he were to do this, he’d send as is because that’s the default.

You’re probably right Barb, but I just wanted to make sure he was reading the conversion dialog box and not just hitting the return key.

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 1, 2003
Ah, good point, Joe. Being on dialup I can’t make that mistake without realizing it while wondering why it’s taking 20+minutes to send mail, but I guess you could do that easily if you have broadband.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections