BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
One of the shots I muffed (out of focus) that I would really, really like to have gotten was very much dependent on the light, which is only in that spot a couple of days each year, kind of like the sun rising over the heelstone at Stonehenge on Midsummer’s day.

My question is this: knowing the date this fall that the light was perfect, what would be the most accurate way to figure when the light would be in the same spot again? (I realize that spring is going to look different from fall–here it’s much browner and drabber, but the difference isn’t as radical as it is up North.)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 28, 2003
Barbara, if you have just only a few days a year, my advice would be: use a sturdy tripod (I know it is heavy, nevertheless) bracket your exposure and shoot as many images as your cards allow you in the highest resolution.

BTW, you have ever been to Stonehenge? I’ve been there twice; once about 30 years ago and about 3 years ago. This wonderful monument has been almost unchanged for many centuries, but now unfortunately there are almost more fences than standing stones. You really need a clone tool.
Nevertheless it is still very impressive.

Leen
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 28, 2003
Hi, Leen.

I was lucky enough to be at Stonehenge many years ago when it was just isolated in a windy field and you could wander freely with nobody about anywhere.

Unfortunately, I have to stand in water for this one and a tripod would sink right into the muck. That’s one reason I muffed the shot–I was partly thinking about getting out before I mired down. Which means I’m not a true photographer, I realize. 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
I think we need an astronomer like Grant to answer that question, Barbara! However, I think the qualitative answer to your question is that the sun rises in the east on June 21st (the summer solstice), then rises slightly more to the south of east each day until Dec 21 (the winter solstice), then starts to rise further east again until the next June 21st. So I guess that would say there would be two days each year that the sun would rise from exactly the same direction…? NOAA has solar position calculators online that may help pinpoint the days – they made my eyes glaze over, however. Hope someone can come up with a better answer…!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 28, 2003
Thanks, Chuck. I’ll try NOAA. Visit their site daily in the summer, but never really looked at anything but the Hurricane Center.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 28, 2003
BTW, you have ever been to Stonehenge?

Back in 1988 I shot 3 rolls of film trying for the perfect angle/lighting etc., of Stonehenge. No kidding. 🙂 There was only one fence back then and yes, it is mighty impressive.

Joe
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
For anybody who’ll never make it to the real Stonehenge, there’s a replica on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River on the Washington side. Really interesting! And the view is gorgeous.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 28, 2003
That’s fascinating, Beth. Is it a full size replica? Can you see the sun on the solstice?

Barbara, Chuck’s logic makes a lot of sense. If you took the picture 20 days before the winter solstice, the sun should probably be in a similar position 20 days after the solstice.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
My Google search didn’t turn up anything very impressive, but here’s one that, I think, answers your question about the solstice. And, yes, it is a full size replica. I took some pictures when we were there in May, but they aren’t too good because I’m the one who takes snapshots and not photographs! I’ll look through the image files and see if I find anything worth posting.

<http://www.thebarrens.com/barrens-stonehenge.html>
JF
Jodi Frye
Nov 28, 2003
Beth, I think this is the same one that is on my XP machine…wallpaper. Geeze, and all this time I thought it was the actual stonehenge. The clouds are almost identical !
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
Really? I’ll have to go in and fire up the XP and see if I can find it!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
Jodi, I think the website offers free wallpaper of several images. Perhaps you have ventured there before…
EM
Eric_Matthes
Nov 29, 2003
Barbara,
I think there’s a fairly simple way to find the right date in the spring. The winter solstice this year is on December 22. Let’s say the right day this fall was December 20, 2 days before the solstice. The sun will be in the same position 2 days after the solstice, or the 24th.
If the right day was November 18, that’s 34 days before the solstice. So 34 days later is Jan 25. Fun math!
MM
Michael Moody
Nov 29, 2003
Speaking of Hurricanes. This typhoon recently passed south of Guam where I work about eight weeks a year. The winds near the center were over 210 mph and the storm itself was about 1,000 miles in diameter.
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/guam/GUAMIR.JPG

wrote in message
Thanks, Chuck. I’ll try NOAA. Visit their site daily in the summer, but
never really looked at anything but the Hurricane Center.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections