VS
Posted By
Victor_Sandoval
Jun 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
is there a way to take a solid black image and rasterize it into a vector graphic through Photoshop CS, or is there a method to place the object in Illustrator and rasterize into a vector graphic?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
Victor,

There’s a little confusion here: you rasterize a vector into a bit-mapped image.

It sounds like what you want to do is the exact opposite, i. e. take a bit-mapped (rasterized) image and turn its edges into a vector, sort of like what Streamline does. If not, I’m not following you.
VS
Victor_Sandoval
Jun 2, 2004
correct, i want to go backwards so to say, i want to take a bitmap image and turn it back into vector, i don’t have streamline and i’m not sure if there is one for osX, i was wondering if photoshop or illustrator can perform that function.

said rasterize because i know that was the "term" in streamline if i’m not mistaken, sorry for the confusion.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 2, 2004
Illustrator and FreeHand have Autotrace features that will do this. Results vary.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 2, 2004
It is possible (but usually not wise) to make a selection from a bitmapped object and turn the Selection into a Path but it is usually better to draw the path with the pen tool.

I understand that Freehand does a far better job with Autotrace than Illustrator.

Streamline 4 will run in Classic but not in OSX.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections