Repair Permissions BEFORE AND AFTER installing software (for the FAQs?)

R
Posted By
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It is absolutely essential to repair permissions before and after you run any update that uses Apple’s installer application!

Any installer that asks you for your password needs to do so, because it has to write to files or folders that are usually not available to users other than administrator or root. In order to do so the permissions have to be exactly as expected by the installer application, otherwise it cannot finish the installation and may even damage your system.

There are certain files whose permissions get more easily changed than others. This is the reason why some installations are immune to this sort of problems and others are very sensible – depending on which files and folders get changed. You can tell by the number of trouble-reports on [the Apple] discussion board.

Permissions can get broken by installations of third-party applications that use Apple’s installer app. This did happen e.g. with Norton Antivirus 9.0.0, LimeWire and many others. If people use their OS 9 Classic folder to boot into OS 9 natively (e.g. to install required firmware upgrades) they also have a high probability of permissions being changed.

Furthermore there are many users who did simple upgrades since 10.0. 10.0 and 10.1 are known to do weird things to permissions.

So you might not need to repair permissions if you:

1. Never installed an application that asked for your password

2. Never did a simple upgrade

3. Never booted into OS 9 natively from the same system folder that you use as Classic.

======

The above is from this thread (CLICK HERE) <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?128@@.6890d19d> at the Apple boards.

======

For more tips on routine maintenance, CLICK HERE <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?128@@.6890d19d>.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
The first link in the above post should be THIS ONE [click here] <http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@@.68941aef/1>. Scroll down to message 2.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 2, 2004
Fortunately, somehow, I have survived software installations with system intact. Possibly this is because, If I repair permissions after doing an installation, that will also become the repaired permissions which will allow me to successfully make the next installation.
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
You’ve just been lucky, Ken. 🙂
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 2, 2004
"MacOS X has a set of routine tasks (CRON-scripts) that are run automatically – between 3:15am and 5:30am."

So, if I leave my computer on, once a week, overnight, then it will run the scripts at night as reliably as if I had run them manually?
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
I don’t know about "once a week", but 24/7 will. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 2, 2004
You would have to leave it running on the right night because there are daily, weekly and monthly scripts to be run.

A better idea would be to get Cocktail which can run these scripts, as well as doing several other vital maintenance tasks, at any time you like.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 2, 2004
I have Cocktail but it tells me I have to ask Ann for permission to know which menu to go to to run these secret scripts. Cocktail does a lot. I hate to go through and indiscriminately tell it to run everything it knows how to do because some of it looks like trouble.

Today is computer maintenance day, thanks to Ramón G Castañeda for starting this thread in the first place. I just got back from the computer store with a shiny new copy of Disk Warrior which I just ran and now the computer runs faster. Slick.

Thank You,

Ken
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 2, 2004
My Cocktail (shaken not stirred):

Click on "Pilot";
Click on "Tasks";
Check everything;
Click on "Options";
Click everything except "Cookies";
Close "Options" dialog;
Click "Run".

Serve with a twist …
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 2, 2004
Mmm… it’s that twist that makes the difference…

Thank You,

k
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 3, 2004
You also need ice.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 3, 2004
for the lump on your head from the most advanced OS ever made.

Or, so Steve says.

If this is what one would call advanced, I think a rewrite is needed.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jun 3, 2004
"repair permissions" and any other directory or disk-related action should be part of EVERY program installer routine… a well-written installer would check the status of destination drive and would confirm that all folders necessary for trouble-free installation were in the correct place on the destination drive. Any hint of trouble would halt the install process and prompt for user-action or would have the ability to perform the corrective action from within the installer program.

This is TOTALLY up to Apple to implement and manage. I certainly hope they spend a little more time on "thinking smarter" in the coming months.

Don’t get me started on the lack of a native, un-installer….
R
Ram
Jun 3, 2004
Again, while hardly anyone would disagree with Paul’s sentiments, complaining and ranting here doesn’t solve a thing. It’s preaching to the choir.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 3, 2004
get on your knees sinner and pray that Apple exists.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jun 3, 2004
moment of weakness… I’m better now.

Anyone want Jello?
R
Ram
Jun 25, 2004
Here’s a good article at MacFixit advocating Repairing Permissions before and after a System Update:

Special Report: Troubleshooting Mac OS X 10.3.4 <http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20040622074121695>

Update reminders

As usual, we recommend the following procedure when applying a system Update:

1. Make sure your hard drive is in good shape: Boot from the OS X Install CD and run Disk Utility’s Repair Disk function (or use a third-party drive utility such as DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro).

2. When booted from the volume containing Mac OS X, run Disk Utility’s Repair Disk Permissions function.

3. Install the update.

4. After rebooting, again run Repair Disk Permissions.

We’ve found that using this update procedure avoids many of the common problems reported by readers after each update to OS X.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections