CS
Posted By
Claude_Saccaro
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any way in CS or Image Ready to simulate multiple PC gamma profiles to test images to be output for the web? I find that PC monitors vary SO *wildly* in how they display my images created on Mac. I get anything on PCs from too dark with a green cast to too light with a magenta cast and everything in between.

Any tips for acheiving the best results given these variants? Calibrating one’s screen may be a start but based on what I see out there that really doesn’t get you very far… One thing that seems constant is that bright images with high contrast travel best…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
Calibrating one’s screen may be a start but based on what I see out there that really doesn’t get you very far

What on Earth are you saying? Calibrating your monitor is an absolute must. Some of us do it more than once a week, sometimes daily. If you’re primarily concerned with web images, calibrate to a target gamma of 2.2.

For the web, just work in sRGB. There’s no way to predict what monitor is going to be used to view them.
GB
g_ballard
Jun 1, 2004
R: "For the web, just work in sRGB. There’s no way to predict what monitor is going to be used to view them."

Yep…hit the target

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/srgbforwww.html>

BTW, PS> View> Proof Setup: Windows RGB

That’s the SoftProof…
CS
Claude_Saccaro
Jun 1, 2004
Ramon, what I’m saying is that no matter how accurately calibrated your monitor may be, what the end user may be seeing may be very different as I assume average end users have never even heard the term "calibrate".

Thanks for the link G. Looks interesting.
R
Ram
Jun 1, 2004
Claude,

Yes, that’s what I mean too. I never even bother to think in terms of "average" end users. There’s no such thing as an average person. The term average is problematic. If I had my left foot in a bucket of ice water and my right one in a pot of boiling water, it could be said that, on the average, I’d be pretty comfortable. In truth, I’d be 100% miserable.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jun 1, 2004
Pretend the Fuji minilabs at your one hour photo are the web-all are different and require custom profiles. I just discovered yesterday they drift within at least four days of recalibration.

Last Friday they were spot on neutral. On Monday the same file had a red cast.

Doh! And here I was touting the quality of predictable output here in these forums by using profiles from similar machines around the country.

However, I have to say I do like the quality of laser exposed glossy photo paper. With a loupe you can see pixel for pixel screen to print density accuracey that’s amazing. You can’t on an inkjet.

Before you start saying what’s the use of CM from these exchanges, I’ld still take the slight color variances of today’s imagers (web or print) with CM technology over what it used to be without it. There has been great strides in making these imaging companies (display and imagers) do something about nonproprietizing color quality. Coming up with sRGB was their best attempt it seems.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections