SS
Posted By
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to register my brand new perfectly legitimate, straight out of the shrink wrap, copy of Photoshop CS online. I fill in the form details as requested, make sure I’ve got the right password so it goes under my exisisting Adobe acount, I hit return and I get a java error. :Error:An exception has occurred: java.lang.NullPointerException" and I can’t go any further.

I’ve checked my customer account and I can see my existing copy of Photoshop Elements registered there, but the CS registration is not recorded. I tried the telephone support (I’m in Australia) and the only suggestion I can get from them is to fill in the postcard and register by mail – as far as I could tell from the chap I was talking to the serial number is fine. But I’d rather have my software all registerd on-line on the same account.

Any ideas? (I get the same error in IE and Camino so it’s not just Safari). As far as I know I’ve got the latest and greatest version of everything (running OS10.3.4, software update down’t indicate anything new available).

The software has installed and is running fine otherwise

Susan S.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SW
Scott_Weichert
May 31, 2004
Have you run any system maintentence recently? If not it might be worthwile to repair permissions, clear all caches and try again.
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
Thanks Scott – I did repair permissions before and after installing CS to be on the safe side any way. I’ve now cleared out all the caches… And shut down and rebooted (just in case) Still no joy. All the googles I’ve tried on the error message lead me to stuff about java which I can’t understand.

Susan S.
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
Susan,

Try bypassing the registration utility that comes with CS. Just log in to your account page and add a new registration (Register New Product) manually.
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
Ramon – I’ve tried that. Same error…
Edit; actually it’s not the same error – it just throws me out – I can type in the registration but when I put in photshop in the pull down, it just takes me back to the previous screen, and the registration number has vanished
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
Susan,

I feel your frustration. Try again later, it may be a temporary glitch. And, if it’s any consolation, if you register by mail, the registration does end up on the same account on the web site.
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
Thanks Ramon – I’m hoping it’s just a glitch in the matrix…at the moment I can’t think of anything else to do apart from use a stamp and the postcard!
Susan S
SS
Susan_S.
May 31, 2004
A new user account fixed the problem. No idea why. So I’ve ended up with two different user accounts but I can at least check them online and it is registered…..
B
Buko
May 31, 2004
You can call Adobe and they can consolidate the accounts for you.
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
There has been something strange going on with the user accounts at the Adobe site for quite some time. I have had to create several over time; but, as Buko points out, Adobe customer services consolidated all of them into one.
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
I’m having a similar problem with logging into Adobe Studio Exchange.

Adobe Customer Service can log in using my ID, but I can’t – from 3 Macs and 3 different browser.
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
Rene,

Did you ever have an Adobe user account or product registration with an ID that included an accent or any other diacritical mark? That was one of the reasons that my accounts had to be consolidated into one by Adobe customer service.
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
Did you ever have an Adobe user account or product registration with an ID that included an accent or any other diacritical mark?

No, my e-mail addres (Adobe ID) has a "2" in it.

Would that "2" throw everything off?
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
Rene,

Anything is possible, of course; but I doubt a digit like a 2 would make any difference. I was thinking more in terms of something like René. 🙂
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
I was thinking more in terms of something like René.

No nothing odd like that. : )

I just created a new ID with my work e-mail address and it works. Let’s see if it will work next week, next month! (because the other ID worked for a while and then 6 or 8 months after I last used it, it didn’t work anymore).
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
Huh!

My new registration account doesn’t work anymore.

It worked when I first registered, but if I want to log-in through the Adobe Studio Exchange Login page, it doesn’t work.

< http://share.studio.adobe.com/axLogin.asp?next=http%3A%2F%2F share%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxDownloadSingle%2Easp%3FaID% 3D4851%26next%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fshare%252Estudio%252Eadob e%252Ecom%252FaxBrowseSubmit%252Easp%253Fc%253D149>
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
Rene,

You need a separate ID for the Studio Exchange. If you were a member of the Action Xchange, that doesn’t work any more either.

If you can still edit your previous message, try making a shorter link. You broke the margins.
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 31, 2004
Ramon, thanks for the code.

Like this:
Adobe Studio Exchange Login page < http://share.studio.adobe.com/axLogin.asp?next=http%3A%2F%2F share%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxDownloadSingle%2Easp%3FaID% 3D4851%26next%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fshare%252Estudio%252Eadob e%252Ecom%252FaxBrowseSubmit%252Easp%253Fc%253D149 >

I just created a new one today; when I wanted to log in again later, it didn’t work anymore.
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
Rene,

I’ve been in your shoes several times before. Adobe customer service has to consolidate your accounts.

One thing you might try is deleting all Adobe cookies and see if that helps. The down side is that you’ll have to log in to the forums again.
SW
Scott_Weichert
May 31, 2004
Be aware folks.. multiple accoutns confuses Adobe a great deal. I had 4 (though how I don’t know) and it’s been a laborous procedure to try and get them consolidated. Every time I call Adobe it takes an additional 30 minutes to once again, try to get the correct acount information set. I wouldn’t go creating new accounts haphazardly.
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
Scott,

Multiple accounts are sometimes created by Adobe, without any user input.

For years, I was plain "Ramón G Castañeda" at Adobe. Then at one point the software ceased to recognize characters above ASCII 256, so it arbitrarily created an account for RAM G CASTA, without notifying me. Then middle initials were dropped, so by the time I noticed something wrong, Adobe had FOUR different accounts for me which had to be consolidated (Ramón G Castañeda, RAM G CASTA, RAM CASTA, Ramón Castañeda).

Then a log in page recommended that you set up your email as your login user ID, and, lo and behold, a fifth account had to be consolidated.

Then, once again, the Adobe site began showing my email (also user login ID) in ALL CAPS, and customer service had to consolidate a sixth account for me.

A seventh account had to be consolidated when it was discovered that my ATM Deluxe had been registered eons ago under Ramon G Castaneda (no diacriticals).

An eighth ID had to be created by me as «Temporary Identity» when I couldn’t log into the forums. Mercifully, this one was just deleted by one of the sysops, a forum host, rather than consolidated into my account, but Adobe customer service had to re-consolidate the previous seven.

Like Rene, I can’t log in to the Adobe Studio Exchange today, so I’ll be calling customer service tomorrow or wednesday rather than create yet a ninth user ID.
R
Ram
May 31, 2004
And then Buko wonders that I’m paranoid.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections