Help: This "layer" thing I’m attempting…

D
Posted By
DHWood
May 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a screenshot on which I want to highlight several elements for some documentation. I found it easy enough to use an adustment layer (-50 Brightness, -50 Contrast) and then select and delete a portion so the selected part looks brighter and clearer. I ended up with a page containing five such knockouts. I even found it was easy to use a layer style to get red circles around those parts to further highlight them.

Then I thought about it, and realized that I might want to highlight each one individually, so the first idea I had was to duplicate the adjustment layer several times, each with one item highlighted. But then I tried turning them all on, and the adjustment layer got applied to everything five times. (Can you say "blackout," boys and girls? I knew you could!)

So what I need is a way to create an adjustment layer, and then mask out parts of its effect. How would I set something like that up?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 29, 2004
When you created the Adjusment Layer a blank Layer Mask should have been automatically added to it. If there isn’t one, add one to the AL.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 29, 2004
When you use the adjustment layer, in the layer’s palette there will be a Mask included in the adjustment layer. Click on that. It starts as pure white to indicate that the adjustment layer is affecting the whole layer. Once highlighted there will be a black border around the mask. Then just paint with black (or fill selections with black…whatever) on your image and the effects will be blocked out where you paint. Shades of grey will partially block the effect.

Is that an answer to your needs?
D
DHWood
May 29, 2004
Kind of, Welles — the idea is that I want to create an adjustment layer, and then be able to turn areas on and off which aren’t affected. I suppose what I want to do is create pieces of mask to hide parts of the adjustment layer.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections