Posted By
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, first I should introduce myself…
My name is Theresa, and I am a mother of 2, and a wife to the military and to a wonderful husband who supports all my "techno" addictions. So glad to be a part of this talented and knowledgeable group of people!!

MY QUESTION IS: (probably simple to you pro’s who do it already!) How do I archive the photos I take on a weekly basis?
Here is what I know…
I should burn all my digital photos in their "raw" or "negative" state onto a CD…I do that. BUT – do I have to use a new CD every time I want to add those few I took during the week? I am CONFUSED! LOL or just thick?! LOL Do I use the CD-RW’s?? Or just the CD-R’s??
ARGHHHHH!!!
Please help! I need a good run down here. LOL
Thanks,
Trese

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 25, 2003
Hi Trese! And welcome. I’m a Mac user so I won’t be able to give you specific instructions, but I do know you can burn different "sessions" on CD-RWs. Post your OS, and I’m sure there’s someone here who can tell you exactly how to do it on your computer.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 25, 2003
Trese,

If you’re planing to burn a multi-session CD, some apps (namely Photoshop Album) have had difficulties retreiving information stored on the second (third, fourth and so forth) sessions.

What I do is I store everything on RW disks as well as on the hard drive, untill I can fill an entire DVD (I did the same thing with CDs). Once there, I burn everything on a DVD-R (or CD-R), check to make sure everything got copied correctly, and erase what’s on my hard drive. Then, I use PSA to catalog everything.

Hope this helps!

Ray
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 25, 2003
I use Easy CD Creator. Whenever I burn a CD I have the option to finalize the session or finalize the CD. If the CD is finalized then I cannot add any more files to the disk. However, if I simply finalize the session can leave the CD "open" then I can add more groups of pictures until the CD is full. It is my understanding that Nero has this same type of option. But I do know that the multisession option in Easy CD Creator is not compatible with Nero. I tried that and got an "incompatible" error message. So you should probably look for either Nero or Easy CD Creator more some other software that appeals to you that will give you the multi-session capabilities because I don’t believe the Windows CD burning feature will allow you to do what you want to do.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 25, 2003
And, whoops, I should have said that if you still want to burn sessions after reading Ray’s post, also tell us what kind of software you use for burning – whether something within your OS or a standalone application.

That’s interesting, Ray, that some apps can’t retrieve the files. However, I assume that doesn’t mean you have trouble downloading various sessions back on to the hard drive, does it?

I use a variation of your method. I copy everything to an external hard drive until I’m ready to burn a full CD, leaving the originals on the main drive or the second internal. But we’ve already covered the fact that I’m pretty obsessive about making sure nothing gets lost! 🙂
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks Beth and Ray…
I just got a new computer: Gateway with XP Home Edition, 512mb ram, and using Photoshop Album, and Elements 2.

So, what is the difference in using DVD-R or CD-R? I am assuming it is just size? What does a DVD-R hold? Boy, I feel stupid! LOL

My computer has a DVD writer drive so if I it size, I will use them instead! As my final archive step.

When you say PSA to catalog everything, what do you mean by that? Please be patient with me, I am really wanting to learn this! LOL Trese
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 25, 2003
Another sidenote after reading Ray’s comments, some programs will not read multisession CDs. Fortunately, I have enough hard drive space that I can stockpile photographs until I have enough to fill a CD. By the time I have that many, I am usually through working with most of them so it’s easy to just move them on to CDs and clear the hard drive space.
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
I am using XP’s burning options. It asks if I want to burn these files to a CD and I go from there. 🙂
Trese
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 25, 2003
For DVD will hold over 4 GB of information as compared to 700 MB on a CD-ROM. If you have a DVD burner, that is probably a much better way for you to go. You could add files to a DVD RW disk and to you have enough to fill the disk and then do a simple disk copy with your DVD software.
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 25, 2003
Hi, Trese… welcome!

I am in the midst of re-evaluating my own practice with regard to archiving, so I can share my thoughts about how I have been doing it in the past, and how I am considering doing it, going forward.

After each download session from my camera, I immediately save the images to CD as a single session, leaving the CD open as long as there is significant space left over for a future session, or closing the CD if the slack space is relatively minor. Each session is organized in folders, for reference.

I began this practice because it was the most efficient use of CDs for me.

Of late, there has been some debate as to the longevity of CD-Rs. I don’t have the facts, but accept that CD-Rs have a limited lifespan.

There’s also the possibility of accidental damage to a disc during normal usage.

So I am considering devoting a whole CD-R to each download session. This would reduce the number of photos impacted by a damaged or lost disc, in the future. (The old adage about too many eggs in one basket…) Given all of the disc space, I have also considered duplicating the images on the same disc, as a redundant safety measure, in case of a future surface flaw on the disc.

I am also thinking about starting a regular re-burning of my archives onto fresh discs… i.e. every other New Year, duplicate all of my archive discs onto fresh CD-R blanks… or something of the kind.

I recognize that I will be using up lots more CD-Rs going forward, if I implement these ideas. I do not expect the cost to be significant, given the bulk prices available for blank discs, but storage and organization will be a challenge.

I doubt I’ve given you the answers you seek, but I thought it may be useful for you to know that you are not the only one pondering the issue. In my case, I’m going through it for a second time, as I shift my processes around to prioritize the security of my original photos.

Oh, yes… CD-RWs… I don’t have any data to quote. I use them the same way I used to use floppy discs — quick, temporary, portable. I used to use them as interim storage for my download sessions, until I figured out the multi-session burning trick.

Let us know how you end up setting your work flow – it will be good to have your thoughts.

Byron
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 25, 2003
In my opinion, Microsoft seems to be content just giving you the basic capabilities you are looking for. It seems to me that they seldom concern themselves with efficiency or high productivity .
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
Jim,
What software do you suggest? I too, find the Microsoft way a little too generic for my liking. I was using Roxio I believe on my Windows 98 computer, and I always had that option of "closing the disc" or leaving it open – as mentioned in Byron’s post. (it may have been HP’s software that came with the burner we bought for that computer, I am not sure now.)

Byron, I am contemplating on just using a new disc each time I add photos, as well. I think that might be the easiest – but I am going to try both methods (leaving the disc open, and writing to it each time) I will let you know which works out best.

Trese
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 25, 2003
Beth,

Windows can read mutli-sessions CDs, so there’s no problem getting them on the hard drive or in a graphics software (PSE, PS7, etc.) To my knowledge, so far, only Album has had a problem with multi-sessions disks. It seems to have been corrected for some drives in version 2.0, but since I don’t frequent PSA boards anymore, I can’t tell for sure which ones.

And no, you’re in no way weird about precious digital negatives. Mines are also backed up on another set of disks, the bi monthly backup procedure (done with "Stomp Backup My PC!" software).

Ray
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 25, 2003
Photoshop Album 1 fails to recognize a multi-session CD as the source of previously-imported offline images, once a new session is added to the disc. It reads the disc perfectly, though, as it recognizes the same images as duplicates in it’s catalog, if another import is attempted… you just can no longer access them through PSA1.

Neither Adobe, nor any end user, has responded to my queries as to whether this same flaw exists in Photoshop Album 2.

Byron
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 25, 2003
Trese,

Cataloguing into PSA is when I put a caption, a tag and do some other cataloguing funtions within this application, for every pictures. Photoshop Album (PSA) is a nice software to help you remember where your pictures are, when they were shot, help you find that precise picture you’ve been looking for. However, if you’re running version 1.0, there are major bugs. Better upgrade to version 2.0.

I have two catalogs, each containing roughly 5000 pictures. As soon as they will reach the 5000 mark, I’ll create a third one (this my weird paranoia against PSA… !)

PSA 2.0 can help you create a Video CD (a CD disc) containing pictures, to be played on a regular DVD player (with VCD capabilities), for example. It can also help you make a calendar, do a computer slide show (in PDF format), etc.

And you’re questions are all very legitimate. Especially if you just got all of this, it sure is overwhelming. Rest assured, post every question you have here, you’ll likely find an answer just a few moments later 🙂

Ray
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 25, 2003
Theresa,

You asked what software I would recommend. Personally, I have had very good success with Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. I have not had a single problem with it. However, I follow another user group that deals with video editing, and they seem to hate Roxio and preferred using Nero. Those are the two software packages that I would suggest you look at. Since I haven’t had any problems with my software I haven’t been motivated to look at anything else.
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
OK! I found I have the latest version of Nero on my new computer! So, I went ahead and burned all of this year’s photos to a CD. It was almost at 700mb! LOL!

I have another question:
I use an Olympus D-560 Camera, and when I put my photos on my computer, I open and use the Camedia Master 4.0 software.

Do you all recommend renaming my images as soon as I put them on the computer? I have read it is not good to rename them until after I have saved them first, as there is "loss". As of right now, I transfer them to folders by month and days.
Example:
Folder NOVEMBER 2003> Nov23 2003
I have not been renaming them, but I sure would like to! I would like to be able to know what is in the picture just by reading the name of it. Example: 2003_Nov23_Jett’sBirthday_001

By the way,
THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help, ALL OF YOU! What a great group of people here! I am looking forward to the comraderie and friendship with you all!
Trese
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
Ray,
I downloaded the STARTER edition of PSAlbum they are offering for free on their website. I love it so far. I think the only features they list that it doesn’t have – I don’t really need, as I have them in other programs. I use the ULEAD Pictureshow program and it does GREAT DVD or VCD slideshows as well. I just love making those, adding great soundtracks, and sending them to family and freinds, as all my family is thousands of miles away! 🙂

"I have two catalogs, each containing roughly 5000 pictures." Not sure what Catalogs are, Ray. LOL Gotta open my program and check that out!
Thanks,
Trese
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 25, 2003
I’m not familiar with the Camedia software, because most of us regulars here on the forum use card readers. I copy my image files to the hard drive, open them in a viewer, and then rename them after closing. If all you’re doing is opening, looking, and changing the file name, there shouldn’t be any loss of image quality. You get that when you open a JPEG in, for example, Elements, do some editing and then save changes that were made to the image itself.
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
Beth,
Thank you. I, too, use a card reader, however I forgot I can just transfer the files to my hard drive to the appropriate folders. I WAS doing that with my old Olympus camera, and such. I hate how confusing some of these programs can be! I sometimes forget the "SIMPLE" and EFFICIENT way of doing things!

I will do that from now on, and be much happier knowing I can find my pictures! LOL!

Trese
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
Ray,
I went to the Adobe Photoshop Album web site, and then took another look at my "starter edition" of Album – I STAND CORRECTED!
There are lots of options I cannot perform without the FULL version, and they are convenient options I could really use! I guess Santa will be getting my wish list after all –
and here I thought I had everything a girl could need! LOL

Trese 🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 25, 2003
Finding pictures is ALWAYS important! 🙂
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 25, 2003
Trese,

Catalogs are like album (an image, I mean). Once it’s filled, you add pages or open a new one. I prefer to keep my catalogs smaller because PSA has had (and I believe still have, on some occasions) problems with larger catalogs. The top number of pictures is 20,000. But several smaller catalogs over a big one doesn’t really bother me.

Ray
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 25, 2003
My take on this one – I don’t have any software that allows multisession CD burning so I burn onto CD-Rs (gold ones – I started off with cheapies but found I was making a small but annoying percentage of drinks coasters so switched to a name brand) in one hit. I try to do weekly back-ups but it doesn’t always happen – but I ensure that I always have at least one copy of each phto somewhere else than on my hard drive, even if i haven’t got around to burnign the CD. At the moment I’m making sure that any photos that aren’t burnt onto a CD are still on one of my compact flash cards – I only reformat the cards once a copy of the files has been safely burnt. IF there are too many in any session then I make copies onto my husband’ laptop. Hard drive crashes do happen and back ups are important!

Susan S
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 26, 2003
Susan, don’t you have OS X? You can burn multisession cds if you have jaguar or higher, but not in 10.1.x.

EDIT well, you can in 10.1.x but you need Toast or something to be able to.
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 26, 2003
I have used Roxio for a while and then began having problems with it. Probably related to cheao CD’s more than anything.

For the last several months I’ve been using a little program called BurnQuick (www.burnquick.com/) that gives you the option to burn to cd from a right-click menu on any file or folder. It is a format that is readable on any PC without having to close it permanently and does allow for muti-session recording.

Dick
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 26, 2003
Barbara – 10.1.5…. I’m still umming and ahing about updating as (a) I’m suffering a temporary cash flow problem (at least as far as discretionary expenditures go – I’ve spent a lot of money on toys this year and my husband decided that it was his turn … how many guitars/speaker boxes does one person need anyway?…)

(b) everything I use regularly works, and I’m a bit wary of changing that situation. Every time I’ve upgraded in the past something has stopped functioning and I’ve been up for yet more expenditure
Susan S
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 26, 2003
Hi, Susan. It’s another reason to go for that 20" imac-you’ll get panther preinstalled. 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 26, 2003
<Every time I’ve upgraded in the past something has stopped functioning >

Susan, isn’t there some economic law or principle describing that phenomenon? I would have suggested The Law of Unintended Consequences, but I’m not sure it’s really unintended…..

🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections