PN
Posted By
Patti_Nykamp
Nov 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I read in the paper that photoshop album 2.0 was a good way to organize your digital photos and it wasn’t very expensive. I have so many photos on my computer, that I had wondered how to organize them.
Has anyone had experience with this product. Would you recommend it? I have PSE 6.0, but I didn’t get it with the album.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PN
Patti_Nykamp
Nov 25, 2003
I meant to say I had Photoshop Elements 2.0, not 6.0……….sorry.
BK
Barb_K
Nov 25, 2003
Patti-

Adobe has a tryout version with limited functionality available for download. Unfortunately, I’ve that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

-Barb
TJ
Theresa_J.
Nov 25, 2003
Patti,
I downloaded the Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition and I LOVE IT! It does everything I need to organize all my digital photos! I tagged everything, and can get to whatever pictures I need in just seconds! They even gave you a comparison on the website between the FULL version and the STARTER one, and I found I don’t need the FULL version as I have other software that does what it does! Good Luck! It’s FUN!
Theresa
PN
Patti_Nykamp
Nov 25, 2003
PN
Patti_Nykamp
Nov 25, 2003
Well, I found where to download, but unfortunately I have Windows 98 and that won’t work on mine – doggone it. I guess I will have to wait till I upgrade my computer.
Thanks.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 26, 2003
PATTI,
I got Album along with PSE so have used it for about a year now. I WILL get Album 2 as soon as I have all my PSA 1 stuff copied.
I’ve made up a very long version of Categories, subs and tags but that mekes finding pictures even easier. Don’t know about the PSA forum though??? So far they are of bunch of gripers. A few are really nice but I hate to go over to that sight and hear all their complaints.
Marty
R
Ray
Nov 26, 2003
Marty,

Make sure to try it before buying it… PSA2 has only one annoyance. The properties is now a floating screen. VideoCD does work now, though.

Ray
PN
Patti_Nykamp
Dec 5, 2003
Marty – do you know of anywahere I can download the album vs 1 for my windows 98? I will eventually upgrade my computer, but its not in the pocketbook right now. Thanks.
R
Ray
Dec 5, 2003
Patti,

As far as I can tell, Album 1 tryout was removed from Adobe’s site when Album 2 was made available. You might try computer stores, they are probably still carrying a few boxes of Album 1.0

Ray
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
The main problem is, Windows XP made such dramatic strides into the digital media world than all of the software companies are modifying their software to take advantage of what XP has to offer. And those who are using older versions of Windows are just going to be left behind. My brother is still using Windows 95, and he seems determined that he will be able to do everything he wants with that old operating system. I won’t even talk to him about it anymore.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 5, 2003
Good grief! Win 95?! I’d be afraid to ask about his system. 🙂
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
Honestly, you REALLY don’t want to know.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 5, 2003
I believe that! And here I thought I was the Queen of Obsolete! I bet his computer would make my stuff look downright state of the art. Ah. I feel better now. 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
I coudn’t imagine either. I don’t even like windows 98 compared to XP. OK, don’t start pounding me…once you get XP you’ll know what i mean.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
that wasn’t for the Mac people…my favorite people 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 5, 2003
No offense. I don’t choose to have Windows as my main system, but I have to admit XP’s a welcome improvement over previous versions. I only curse a little when I use it, and that’s a big improvement right there. 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
that’s cool 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
Beth, I need to tell ya…my 5 year old daughter is sitting here with a flyer and she’s not picking out toys…she’s picking out Cameras for gosh sakes ! So far she’s pointed at the Nikon and the Canon ( digitals of course )…I need help !
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 5, 2003
Patti

I just found a copy of the PSA tryout file on my hard drive. Wanna copy?

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 5, 2003
You are in BIG trouble! She’s probably gonna have to get a job soon, huh?
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
dam straight ! 😉
PN
Patti_Nykamp
Dec 6, 2003
Dick, is that a 30 day tryout copy or is it one to be used longer. Yeah, I would love to try it. Someone suggested ACDSee, but but I haven’t read anything about it. Just the Adobe Album.
Have you heard of others? But yeah, if you could send it to me somehow I would appreciate it. Thanks.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 6, 2003
Yes it is the trial package. Send me an email to the address under my name and I’ll get with you directly.

Dick
PN
Patti_Nykamp
Dec 6, 2003
Dick – my email is

Thanks a bunch.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 7, 2003
PATTI,
Sorry I haven’t been of help with PSA and win 98. It’s so hard to keep up-to-date without replacing nearly all the softwear. Guess that’s their plan!!
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 7, 2003
RAY R,
Again, I need your help. I’m ready to do some serious deleting but so afraid to hit that "Del" key. How can I be sure it’s OK to delete a picture from my hard drive or from a CD. I know I have put the titles in their place on PSA but since PSA doesn’t actually store the picture I don’t know how to be safe on the deleting process.
Marty
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 7, 2003
Marty, since PSA doesn’t store any pictures, you are going to have to use the same "method" of deciding what to delete and what not to as you would have used before getting it. You can’t delete anything from a CD anyway – once they’re burned on, they’re there. To be safe, don’t delete anything from the hard drive unless a) you know for a fact you don’t want it anymore, or b) you know for a fact that the image file has been backed up to a CD or other external device, like a second hard drive. It’s really not possible for anybody to tell you what to delete and what not to!
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 7, 2003
Marty,

In PSA-1, when you delete, you are only removing the item from your album, unless you select the "remove from hard drive" option… which will actually PERMANENTLY delete the file – bypassing the recycle bin.

Byron
R
Ray
Dec 7, 2003
Marty,

Just as Byron said, when you hit the Delete key, if PSA doesn’t ask for you to confirm to also remove the picture from your hard drive, consider that PSA is only removing it from its catalog.

Ray
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 8, 2003
BETH, BYRAN, RAY,
I think I have a little more clear idea but I did mislead you… I know I can’t delete from a CD-R but didn’t know about the CD-RWs. Can I delete from a Zip disk or re-format the whole disk? I have only the one CD-RW drive but believe I can still copy a picture from one CD and put it onto another CD …. I’ve never tried that.
I’m just making an attempt to organize my backups. For instance, gettig all Challenge images of #44 onto one CD-R. Right now I have pictures in about 4 different places.
Marty
CC
Chris_Christy
Dec 8, 2003
A thread a while back mentioned MyAlbumPro.com. I"ve downloaded it for free and find it very useful so far. It has been particularly useful for printing multiple copies of an image. I get 8 6×4 images on a single page of Super B paper (13×19). So far I’ve found that it’s much easier to work with than PSE, Microsoft PictureIt, or any of the other systems for printing multiple copies (not that I’ve tried them all). Anyway, this facility is an extra bonus alng with the album features.

Chris Christy
R
Ray
Dec 8, 2003
Marty,

If you want to delete from a Zip Disk within PSA, I’ve never done that, but deleting with regular OS
(Windows or Mac), that’s easily done. Deleting from a CD-RW is a little tricky because, while in fact it dees seem like the system erased the file, it didn’t erase it. At some point, after several
deletions or saving several files (same name, for example) in various sessions on the disk, you’ll have to erase the whole disk because it will show up to be full with only 200Mb of data. I’ve never
worked that way with PSA. I simply accumulate enough pictures on a CD-RW "outside" of PSA, then
once I have enough stock, I burn them on a regular CD-R (or DVR+R) and then import the proxies in PSA2.

Ray
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 8, 2003
RAY,
I can see that I need a new system for saving pictures. Mine were scattered around. About a year ago when I first got PSE and PSA I would save a picture, give it a title and delete the original… that sure should win a gold medal for stupidity.
With the suggestions here I think I can do a bit better. Marty
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
Naaa, Marty; we call that "lack of experience", not stupidity! 🙂
R
Ray
Dec 8, 2003
So true Beth. I just "hate it" when people call themselves stupid (and alike…) I mean there are
thousands of people outside that are just waiting to criticize every move one’s making…

Ray "who’s had a very bad day!"
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
Ray, sorry for your bad day. Hope you are OK. I know how you feel. I threw my back out last week and I’ve been dragging myself around the house ever since. Note to self; get better pain killers.
R
Ray
Dec 9, 2003
I’m better this morning Jodi !

I had an eye exam yesterday and the doctor put some liquid into my eyes making my vision totally blurry and awefully sensible to light (side note : I’ve always had only one functionning eye the left one, so it was very scary to loose sight in this one too!), then a guy at work totally messed an order and now nothing works anymore, Rick’s (my friend) getting a surgery tomorrow morning (8 weeks before he was officially scheduled), etc… One of those days 🙂

But, I was able to complete my classroom work : http://www.pbase.com/carbone/pse3_lesson_4

Also, take a look at this picture, we learned a few tricks to remove my (&*@!!) braces : http://www.pbase.com/image/23998644
I’m also very proud of the makeover : http://www.pbase.com/image/23997532

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
Ray, that is really great stuff !!!!! Bravo !
SK
Simon_Kleeger
Dec 9, 2003
Hi, downloaded trial PhotoShop album, and discovered it doesn’t cohabit with Win 98SE. Had Win2k on my machine awhile back as dual OS, but removed it and reinstalled Win98SE as only OS as I felt Win2k was overkill. If there is workaround, I’d go for it, otherwise I will shoot the weekend reinstalling W2k.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 9, 2003
According to earlier posts (I run a Mac mostly so have no firsthand knowledge) Album version 1 would run on Win 98, but Album version 2 does not. Have a nice weekend! 🙂
R
Ray
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks Jodi !

Ray
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 10, 2003
BETH and RAY,
Thank you for your proclamation stating that I am just "inexperienced" and NOT "Stupid". After all the helpful hints I have finally found a way to correct my awful methods of saving pictures.
I have made several new folders on my C drive. I will copy pictures to those folders keeping them in some logical order (probably similar to my PSA categories). Then I will copy the folders onto CD-Rs. That way will take some time but hopefully it will be an improvement.
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 10, 2003
RAY,
Your PSE homework is getting me interested in lessons again. I still want to repeat the First session. No wonder you are proud of your make over. The girl is so pretty but you have brought out the answer to WHY!
Marty
R
Ray
Dec 11, 2003
Marty,

PSA2 (and PSA1, but sometimes with bugs) can archive your pictures. No matter where they are. Consider this, it’s gonna be a lot easier to manage.

Thanks for the nice comment. It’d be fun for you if you’d join Level II as well. It’s so much fun!

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections