MW
Posted By
Matt_Wiley
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have to design poster in Photoshop CS to hang on a wall in an arena, it is 1690 x 900 inches and unlike a billboard people will be going right up to touch it, so lower resolutions won’t cut it.

I have a new Dual 2 GHz G5 (only 512 mb of ram) and is painfully slow even when I take the image down to a quarter of the size (450×225"x300 dpi). Is there a plugin that will allow me to create proxies so I can manipulate the images at a managable size and render at the end?

I usually design for web and video so this is a real headsplitter for me so any help would be appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
bonniej
May 28, 2004
You need to take with the printer who will be printing it & find out what resolution he wants the final piece at.

Photoshop has a pixel limit.

So if you really do need it at a high resolution & that large… you may have to do it in tiled pieces.
MW
Matt_Wiley
May 28, 2004
I just talked to the printer and he said he has good results with 100 – 150 dpi which is why I am designing at 450×225"x300 dpi. I have ordered some more ram however a designer friend told me to look into a program like Live Picture to do the final comp but importing the psd layers as tiffs. Unfortunately I can’t find it (I think the company is defunct) so I was wondering if there is a plugin for Photoshop that is comparable.

I thought about doing tiled pieces but that won’t really help with development time as laying down a simple background gradient on the template is taking 20 minutes or more even before I put the images into it which will need to manipulated as well because they were shot on digital and not for this specific project.
P
Phosphor
May 28, 2004
Go to Julian Calverly’s LivePicture Discussion Groups’s Home Page. <http://www.calverley.co.uk/LP-GROUP/lpg_home.html>

Sign up for the mailing list, and ask there if anyone knows about legitimate copies of L.P. for sale anywhere. Check eBay.

I got a copy sent to me by someone who used to frequent these Forums awhikle back. He bought it off eBay for about US$20, and it was brand new, sealed in the package, with all the books and collateral material.

LivePicture really sounds like the best option for you, but the learning curve is steep. It doesn’t work the same way as Photoshop, so it might be too late for this prroject. Might come in handy if you learn it in time for your next gigantic one, though.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
May 28, 2004
Matt,

You may be able to work smaller than 450×225 inches at 300ppi, then rez up to the size needed for final output.

Do some tests on a chunk of your piece to see how small you can go before the up-rez to final size becomes a problem.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
I would also recommend LP for this.
There are currently four copies on eBay which are going for about $30. (This was originally a $4,000 program!)

Four copies of LP are listed here < http://search.ebay.com/live-picture_Software_W0QQbsZSearchQQ catrefZC6QQfromZR2QQgotopageZQQlopgZQQsacategoryZ18793QQsapr icehiZQQsapriceloZQQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbsQQsosortorderZ2QQso sortpropertyZ2QQsotrZ2>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections