Replies
Status
Closed
If you are having troubles emailing me please try using

I do not use this often but it seems to be very stable

Grant

Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Challenge Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 24, 2003
Grant,

I’m curious about "cavesofice.org" Could you ‘splain?

Dick, masquerading as Ricky Ricardo
SR
Schraven_Robert
Nov 24, 2003
Grant,

Any idea what is causing this?

Robert
R
RobertHJones
Nov 24, 2003
Any idea what is causing this?

Robert,

I’m having the same problem but not as bad, I can usually resend later and get through. My ISP has multiple mail servers and has them set up with load balancing. One of the servers is on a spam blacklist and whenever I get routed through that one, I get bounced back by Grant’s ISP who uses that black list.

I suspect that what is happening to you is similar. Someone spamming (either on purpose or innocently though a virus or worm infection) got picked up by the spam list and the whole mail server got blocked. Since you can’t get through at all, your ISP may have only one mail server or multiple ones that aren’t load balanced. It’s also possible that your ISP’s mail server is an open relay which allows spammers to route spam through it.

You should report the block to your ISP (include the bounce back message) and ask them if there is an alternate mail server you can use and how to set it up.

Good luck.

Bob
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 24, 2003
Hmmm explanations?!

The short answer is that I am not sure what is happening. I do not personally have an anti spammer set up that will bounce an email. I do have a very elaborate filtering system that I can and have over ridden. I suspect it is a combination of my provider the sender’s provider and a black list.

Caves of ices is the server that has the main body of the challenge on it. For me to access it directly I need a static ip address and I do not have one. But I can access it indirectly and if need be will set up a bounce on it to get directly to me.

Grant
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 24, 2003
My ISP gave me the same information that Bob Jones is telling us – only one of the email servers on my ISP is blocked by the anti spam list that Grant’s ISP is using, which is why I have only intermittent problems sending email – it appears to be a widely used list (we’ve had problems with other emails – mainly to educational institutions in Australia). I guess there are two things people need to do – one is for people whose legitimate emails are being blocked to complain to their own ISP who should then get their mail server removed from the list. The other thing is for Grant, and others who are suffering from poor email service, to complain to their ISPs about the inflexible nature of their spam blocking – it’s quite possible for ISPs to set up flexible systems that don’t give these problems

Susan S.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 25, 2003
Just throwing this out here but maybe it has to do with a word they are using in their e-mail address or message line. Some spam filters stop words with like free or ad…commercial sounding stuff. Just a thought.

Terri

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections