Hazel_Harrison
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there
Thought I’d posted this one but seems it didn’t go
I’m designing an invitation for my mother’s 100th birthday !!!!and wanted to put margins around the type. Showed up on print preview but didn’t print. Tried to reduce size of overall image cos i thought it might be outside printable area but still no joy. Any ideas?

Hazel

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 23, 2003
Hi Hazel,

Not too sure what you mean by margins … do you mean a border round the whole thing. If you do … then the way I do it is with Image>Resize>Canvas Size and it has always shown up when I printed.

I tried a search for "margins" within Elements and the only thing that came up was file://localhost/Applications/Adobe%20Photoshop%20Elements%2 02/Help/help.html

Hope this is of some use but if it isn’t what you are looking for then could you give us a bit more detail.

Wendy
HH
Hazel_Harrison
Nov 24, 2003
Hi Wendy
what I meant was the margin option in the printing menu – it’s one the little boxes you click on. Like I said, the 1mm black margin appeared both in the print preview window and the main PSE window but I can’t get it to print. It’s annoying, as it just put the finishing touch to my invite, but never mind – not the end of the world.

Hazel
B
BobHill
Nov 24, 2003
Hazel,

First you want to check your printer manual to see just what the No Print Zone is (a margin on each sidd that your printer will not print to .. and this can NOT be changed). In most cases, unless you use a printer that will print full bleed (check some of the Epson models), you should leave a ½" margin around your edges (for looks, even if you are doing a fold over, count the bend into this). Most printers do not have an even all around No Print area.

Bob
J
JodiFrye
Nov 24, 2003
Hazel, you can make your own margin before you go to print by making a rectangular marquee selection around your image and use the ‘stroke’ command under ‘edit’ in the toolbar. This will give you an option to put a 1 pixel size( or more if you want ) border around your image with choice of color. Best to apply this to a new layer so that you can lower the opacity if needed ( or move and re-size it etc…). As Bob suggested, not all printers will print to edge so take that into consideration when applying the stroke. Let us know how you make out.
HH
Hazel_Harrison
Nov 24, 2003
Bob and Jodi
Thanks so much – your method, Jodi, worked perfectly – at least I think it did until the program froze on me three times – seems you can’t mess with type layers once you’ve merged them. But at least I get the idea now, and will know next time.

Hazel
J
JodiFrye
Nov 24, 2003
Hazel, can you give us some OS info ? Freeze problems aren’t normal and you shouldn’t have to deal with them in Elements.
LB
lloyd_berger
Nov 27, 2003
Help! How do I adjust the bottom & top margins in a letter size print. I am not able to access these adjustments in page setup.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 27, 2003
Lloyd: What printer are you using? Also, which version of PE?
LB
lloyd_berger
Nov 27, 2003
Version 2.0
HP 6122
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 27, 2003
Lloyd, did you try File>Print Preview? If you uncheck the Center Image box, it will let you change the relative position (top and left).

Chuck
LB
lloyd_berger
Nov 27, 2003
Thanks for your reply. I did try that, but it is hit or miss. I would this I should be abel to actualy set the margins.
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 27, 2003
Lloyd,

You could build the margins into your image. Image>Canvas size. Fill in the height and width with values of the combined image plus border values in inches, click on the center white box for the extra area to be equal around the perimeter.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 27, 2003
Lloyd, if you’re running an HP be warned. They’re probably the worst of the lot in terms of printing with the proper margins. It’s usually not a problem unless you’re doing a large image that you need to have centered on a sheet. I had to run some experiments in order to figure out how to adjust the left margin and the top. It’s not hard to do, and I’ll post my "technique" if you want it. I have found I have slightly better luck by making sure "Center" is NOT checked. Go figure.
LB
lloyd_berger
Nov 28, 2003
I will try anything at this point. I do not understand why the box comes up, but I can not change the settings?
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
Lloyd, you’re referring to changing the margin settings from within the Print Preview box, correct? That’s the only place it can be done when printing from Elements. In order to adjust the margins manually, you have to make sure there is no checkmark in the box for "Center Image". Have you made sure that was out?

If this is what you’ve been doing and still can’t access the margin settings, try deleting the Elements Preference folder. On Win that would be done like this: With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a very quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. The folder will rebuild as Elements continues to launch.

If we still haven’t hit on the right solution, repost and give as much specific information as you can.
LB
lloyd_berger
Nov 29, 2003
I am refering to page setup. On letter size photo’s I get a 0.5" border @ the bottom. Can this be adjusted?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 29, 2003
lloyd, on an HP, no, unfortunately. That’s the paper grab space.

Same thing if you are printing something in landscape mode–you have a 1/2 inch margin on either the leading or the trailing edge–very annoying if you’re trying to print a brochure or something where you want to use all available space.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections