JC
Posted By
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was trying the Distort<Shear filter, when I hit OK, it froze up the whole Mac. Tried it again and again on many different photos, same thing. Then went thru all my filters to see if any other had a problem, none.
A few days before, I had installed plug ins(EyeCandy 4000, Splat, and Xenoflex2) and they all work fine.

So I installed PSE 2 on my Powerbook this morning, tried Shear, and got the same problem. Froze up the little machine, had to shut it off and start all over again. Then when I tried to re-open PSE, got an error message, "PSE 2 could not be opened because of an error of type -199 occured."

I think that this is quite interesting, the same problem on 2 different computers.

I haven’t ever re-set the preferences, so I don’t know how to do that. Should I take PSE out of the Powerbook and reinstall it? Or should I try the reset thing first?
I thought I would not do anything yet until I saw if anybody here has had a similar problem, or knew about it.
I can get along without Shear, I guess,,,,
Thanks in advance, Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
I just tried using it on an 8MB PSD file, and I didn’t have any trouble at all. It was also pretty fast. How big were the files you were experimenting with?

I’d look for some kind of conflict. Did you put the same addons in Elements on both of those computers?

According to the Apple site, Error 199 is "map inconsistent with operation". Great. No I don’t have a clue.

On the PowerBook, try deleting the Preference folder and see if Elements will launch. The keyboard shortcut is to hold down the Command, Option, and Shift keys immediately after clicking on the start up icon. Keep all three down until you get the screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes.

Or, just go into System>Preferences while Elements is still closed and drag the Elements Preferences folder to the trash. Then try opening it. Let’s see if you can get Elements to launch on the PowerBook before going any further.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
Hi Beth, The file I used for the experiment was 56kb, a small picture of a tree. Tried it on others, all small.
This PSE 2 has no add ons at all, just installed it a couple of hours ago. The add ons are only on the big Mac.
Tried to delete the pref folder by holding those 3 keys, nothing at all. So I deleted them manually.
Still nothing,,,,

This is getting to be interesting, unusual, it will be fun to see what actually is wrong with this one filter.

I won’t do anything to the big Mac until we see what the problem in by using the Powerbook. Strange that Shear is the only filter out of all of them that does this. I suppose I could get along without Shear, I didn’t even know I had it until yesterday’s lesson. I did the lesson using another filter and it came out OK.
I have Conflict Catcher, but didnt attempt that, because that is supposed to ferret out problems between programs, not inside single programs, I think,,,,,
Thanks, Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 23, 2003
Jane,

I have just tried it on our Mac and no problems at all … sounds a real mystery.

Wendy
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
Jane, are you sure there’s nothing about that filter that’s incompatible with the image format you’re using? Since you’re doing this as part of a class, I doubt it, but if you haven’t experimented yet with various formats you might want to see if that makes any difference.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
Hi Beth, I tried it on .jpgs and .psds, and tried it on about 10 different pictures, mostly small ones.
I’m using OS 9.2.2, would that make a difference? But if every other filter works, that couldn’t be it.
This is getting to be really a mystery. Seeing that deleting preferences had no effect, that makes it even more interesting.
Should I try to re-install it on the Powerbook?
Thanks again, Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
You still can’t get it to even launch on the PowerBook, is that right? If so, yes, take it completely off, including the Preference folder, and try again. It’s almost like that filter itself is corrupted, since you’re getting the same problem on both computers.

I made a copy of that Shear plugin from my application folder, and I’m e-mailing it to you. Maybe you could try moving the old one out and replacing it with the one I’m sending. At least we could see if the corruption comes from the plugin itself.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
Here goes,,,,,,
Thanks, Jane
J
jhjl1
Nov 23, 2003
There is a specific .dll that often causes problems with filters on windows machines (msvcrt10.dll). I do not know what the corresponding file would be for a Mac, if any. Just a stab in the dark.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
Well, OK, so that was a bad idea!!! 🙂 I just e-mailed myself the same thing I sent you, and I couldn’t figure out how to get it in the Elements application folder, either. You’re right – the plugin I copied and zipped does have the yellow sunflower icon on it, but it sure doesn’t look like that after it’s gone through zipping and e-mail! I’m sorry; I tried. And now I’m out of ideas, because I don’t know what the equivalent would be that James is referring to.

Why don’t you put a post on the Apple forum? Maybe somebody there will know how to get around this. And if you figure it out, let us know!
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
Hi Beth, I just re-installed PSE on the Powerbook and it went fine. I took Shear out, and left it sitting on the desktop and everything else is working fine. Thanks for trying to send it anyway. I do have an old, where is it,,,,,

Wow, yes, I found an old Photoshop 5 on the powerbook and tried shear from it and it worked fine!!! Thankyou so much for giving me that idea of taking shear out of another program! Now I wonder if I can copy it into PSE? It sure wont hurt to try, here goes,,,,,, Jane
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
Hi Beth, It worked!! The old shear filter that I took out of my old Photoshop 5 worked in PSE! It looked different, sort of like a tuning fork lying on its side. Now I am going to stuff it onto my external hard drive and put it into my Big Mac.
Tried to e-mail it over to my Mac, won’t e-mail for some reason, so here it goes to the ext hd. Here it is, and my goodness it works perfectly in PSE 2!

Thank you! I am going to post your solution to all my classmates and my instructor, as this will probably happen again for somebody. The Shear was probably corrupt on the CD right from the beginning, and I never noticed as I had never used it.
Thank you!!!!
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 23, 2003
Way to go, Jane. I followed this thread both here and your post on the class board. I’m certainly going to remember it as well. Who knows when the gremlins will strike!

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
I’m sure glad you got everything up and running again Jane! I’ve never heard of anything like this happening, but the signs just pointed to a corruption of the filter. Good show that you had a replacement!

Now if only I could figure out why I couldn’t e-mail that danged thing.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
I tried to e-mail it to my other computer(I do this frequently for a picture or 2) but for some reason, they don’t like to be sent thru the mail. I forgot I have this little keychain flash memory usb thingie, could have used it too. My desk is one drastic mess of wires and stuff gets wound up and buried.
Thanks for everything,
Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections