AS
Posted By
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac OS 10.3.4 is available for downloading……

I have downloaded it but am too chicken to install it yet.
[Waiting for Buko to get roasted first.]

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
May 26, 2004
I’ll try it, about six weeks after Ann gives it the thumbs up.
B
Buko
May 26, 2004
I’m downloading it.
P
Phosphor
May 26, 2004
Early adopters and the MacFixit news items are my free R & D department.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
P
PShock
May 26, 2004
Downloaded and sitting in the Packages folder, calling out to me like some siren. I ain’t listening – I still have nightmares from getting stung by the iTunes2 update.

-phil
B
Buko
May 26, 2004
NOWICANONLYWRITEINALLCAPSANDTHESPACEBARDOESN’TWORKOTHERTHANT HATEVERYTHINGISPERFECT.
B
Buko
May 26, 2004
&*%$#NOWMYMONITORTURNEDREDARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
B
Buko
May 26, 2004
SMOKEISPOURINGOUTTHEBACKOFTHEG4
B
Buko
May 26, 2004
GIANTMUTANTANTSAREBREAKINGTHROUGHTHEDOORSANDWINDOWS
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
INEMERGENCY:BREAKTHEGLASS
L
LRK
May 26, 2004
OY!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
May 26, 2004
ITSWORKINGFINEFORME
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
wellirepairedpermissionsandnowitsalllowercaseistilldon’thave spacesbutthegiantmutantantsstopedattackingithinkitsokforyout ouseann
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
after downloading the new Cocktail 3.4.9 everything is back to normal
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
I am playing safe and making a spare (and complete) Retrospect Back-up first.

There are reports on Apple’s Discussions of alarming fan activity (seems to be on laptops) but I don’t know whether they are also blowing smoke and flames.
R
Ram
May 27, 2004
… alarming fan activity

That happens to me also when I boot into 9.2.2, so I can easily believe an OS upgrade could trigger that too.
VL
Venicia_L_2
May 27, 2004
I have installed the upgrade on a spare partition I keep just for this purpose. G4, 400, 1.5 Ghz RAM. So far, there has been no misbehavior.

One small note – the upgrade said it included all security patches to date. I had not yet installed Security patch 2004-05-03. After 10.3.4 was up and running, Software Update still said I needed to apply that patch. I did. All is stable so far.

VL
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
There is also a report of MIA fire-wire drives — but people may have left them connected while upgrading.

[Still watching from the sidelines.]
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
Mine works just fine.

It was connected during upgrade.
LP
Louise_Parrish
May 27, 2004
Just installed it from all appearances it seems OK. After the 10.2.8 problem, I was a little skeptical of installing. Hope it stays that way.

Louise Parrish
SS
Susan_S.
May 27, 2004
So far so good – external firewire seems to have survived the experience. Start up was very very slow though – hopefully next time around it will be quicker (the pretty little beach ball span for a while and I was worried that I had a dead Mac on my hands but eventually it got there)

Susan S.
P
Phosphor
May 27, 2004
Did you completely log out/shut down, Susan?

I updated my Mom’s iMac with (geez…I forget) a week ago or so, and it was slow as slugs on startup until I completely shut down and rebooted.
SS
Susan_S.
May 27, 2004
Phosphor – that’s a good point. I only did the restart that the software update does for you rather than a complete shut down. Next time I need to restart the computer (usually only happens when one of the kids wants to pay an old game that needs OS9!) I’ll make sure to shut down completely and see if that helps.

Susan S
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 27, 2004
You guys have lost it.

WELCOMEALLHEWHOHASSURVEDTHESEA!
RL
Ronald_Lanham
May 27, 2004
OS X 10.3.4 combo updater has also already been posted here… Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.4 <http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/>. (79MB)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 27, 2004
Mac OS X Combined (10.3.4) Update 10.3.4 The 10.3.4 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 “Panther”.

what a bunch of BS.

Why not just say, ……

it fixes broken crap that we failed to implement correctly the first time.
C
Cindy
May 27, 2004
Installed the combo and everything seems ok here.
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
I always install the combo after the regular update.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
I also installed using the Combo having first Repaired Permissions. (I know that Apple tell you that it is unnecessary if you are fully upgraded to 10.3.3 but it is usually the more fail-safe way to go.)
I then Repaired Permissions again.

Restart after installation was slow but having run Cocktail ( it is now at version 3.4.9); shut down and then restarted; the start up time was back up to speed.

My Firewire HD was disconnected prior to doing the upgrade, and it is fine too.

I haven’t run into any glitches …… so far ………
R
Ram
May 27, 2004
Thanks, Ann. If you don’t report any glitches in the next few weeks, I might brave the update over the 4th of July holiday.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 27, 2004
Yea,

Let me know when In Design stops vomiting when printing directly to a RIP due to OSX.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
Send that RIP to the hospital — or let it RIP in the graveyard?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
May 27, 2004
All installed, permissions repaired. The only bad part was the smell of the burning plastic on the monitor.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 27, 2004
you need to replace one of the hamster modules as well with the upgrade.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
Damned hamsters — they get into everything……
L
LRK
May 27, 2004
I’m downloading the update now. Hope it resolves some issues with Safari and GoLive 7. It did say the update includes a Safari update.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
I never had any problems with Safari and I haven’t had any with GoLive CS either: both are still working perfectly well after upgrading to 10.3.4. Safari is now at version1.2.2.

[But I don’t use FontBook and I do use Cocktail. Could there be a connection?]
L
LRK
May 27, 2004
Could be Ann… or maybe that spook came back to haunt my computer. 😉
B
Buko
May 27, 2004
The only bad part was the smell of the burning plastic on the monitor.

must be Ann’s dragon on the prowl
C
Cindy
May 27, 2004
I don’t have any problems with GoLive either. I use Dreamweaver (Don’t hit me, I couldn’t resist). 🙂
L
LRK
May 27, 2004
Cindy, I might starting hitting you with some questions when I’m ready to switch to Dreamweaver. I’m currently using GoLive 6 for most everything but a few web sites I did start with 7 for CSS purposes. I don’t like 7 and I’m about ready to start using DW, which I’ve been upgrading for years and yet to use it much.
C
Cindy
May 27, 2004
Ok Linda. Send me an email when you are ready.
VL
Venicia_L_2
May 27, 2004
I am seeing a huge speed boost over 10.2.8. Everything. Especially screen redraw and file I/O! G4, 400, 1.5 Gig

My old machine feels as responsive as it did with OS 9.

I had 10.3.3 installed, but didn’t really use it. This is going to be very nice!

VL
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
CAUTION !

I have repeatedly tried downloading the 10.3.4 Combined Update from the Apple site, and It consistently gives me a tiny 64K file. This leads me to believe that the update may have been withdrawn. (Remember the first release of 10.2.8?)

The regular update (39.5 MB) downloads normally, in about 5 minutes.
L
Larryr544
May 28, 2004
Ramon – There is a pattern here. You also were not able to download the MP Plugin.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Many others were not either, Larry. Chris Cox finally was able to replicate the problem with the MP Update, in that he was also asked to log in. There’s no pattern here, other than quirky updates.
RG
Rene_Garneau
May 28, 2004
I haven’t downloaded it yet, but Mac Fixit has good things to say about it. Here is a quote from their web site:

Being a troubleshooting site, MacFixIt normally receives far more negative reports than positive ones. In fact, if we aren’t receiving reports of problems with a piece of software, we usually aren’t receiving reports at all. However, the Mac OS X 10.3.4 Update has thus far been an exception: a significant majority of reader reports have been positive.
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Larry,

Additionally, attempts were made to download the Photoshop MP Update using five (5) different computers, including two (2) Windoze boxes, in three (3) different counties and using three (3) different ISPs. That leaves only the one download as it exists at the Adobe server and this three-county area in Northern California as the two possible culprits.

In the case of both the one particular Adobe update and this one particular Apple update, only this two particular files exhibit this behavior. Everything else downloads fine from both Apple and Adobe.

Are you aware of any possible pattern that would fit this picture?

I’d love to know. Thanks in advance.
L
LRK
May 28, 2004
My screen went blank for a few minutes tonight but I really don’t think it was related to the update. It’s happened before when I push my computer too hard. I was copying and pasting large Illustrator files along with running Photoshop and I forget what else… when the screen went blank everything quit on me. This happened once before when I was pushing the limits. The way I got the screen to come back was by attempted for force quit the finder. Once it came back I cancelled the force quit and ran Cache Out X followed by MacJanitor. I had only just run Permissions after installing the update. Tomorrow I may try what Ramon suggested with my Apple disk.
L
Larryr544
May 28, 2004
Ramon – It’s a new international pattern. Software companies that start with the letter ‘A" only in the Northern parts of countries that start with ‘C’. Of course CA is a country in this pattern. If you turn W upside down of course it’s an ‘M’ which of course is 2 a’s. That explains the Windoze machines. Haven’t you read the DaVinci code? And I’m running all of this on 10.3.4 and pushing it to the limits so that my screen is very dark….almost blank!
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Seriously, Larry. In the case of the Adobe download I still suspect there may be selective IP "bans" attached to it. I was running into a similar problem at the Kodak/ASF site, contacted tech support and asked them to have their webmaster remove the ban. Within minutes, the webmaster checked and did find a slew of bans in place. He removed all of them and my problem was fixed instantly.

I have no idea how or why such selective IP bans originate, but at least the error message was pointing me in the right direction over at that site.

As for Apple, I made another attempt before going to bed last night, and that one was successful, so it appears to have had something to do with an overloaded server somewhere along the path.
B
bonniej
May 29, 2004
Installed right thru s"oftware update" … all working fine here.

Linda– I too don’t see problems with Safari.. and I use Dreamweaver, so can’t give any input on that one..
L
LRK
May 29, 2004
Things seem to have improved since updating and running utilities.

But nobody else ever sees the spinning beach ball when using Safari? That’s a common occurance for me. However, it was just as bad or worse with IE so I’m sticking with Safari. I think it might be fonts — as Ann so gently reminds me from time to time. 🙂 I still sometimes end up installing older fonts for some projects.
L
Larryr544
May 30, 2004
Ramone and Linda – I hope that you didn’t mind me poking fun late (at my age anyway) on a Friday night. Glad that things are working better for both of you!!!!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 30, 2004
Hmm. I would be inclined to strangle those old fonts. Once and for all……
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Larry,

Who is Ramone?
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
As far as 10.3.4, I’m not braving it yet. I’ve downloaded the update but have not applied it. Way too many complaints on the Apple boards, so I’ll just wait a little longer.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 30, 2004
The complaints that I have seen on the Apple boards mainly seem to be due to incompetent users who have installed without taking the normal steps to eject external hard drives and to Repair Permissions fore and aft.

And who knows how many haxies, freebies and even bootlegged applications they have on their machines?!

If it re-assures you, I haven’t run into a single problem since doing the upgrade.
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Yes, who is Ramone? I have yet to learn the shortcut for Ram Øn. 😉
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Just for the record, installing the update did not adversely affect anything on my setup. If anything it might have sped things up a tad.
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Larry, If I seem distant it’s because my head is spinning lately and I’m preoccupied. Once I get past a certain point with the job I’m on I hope to return to more normal ADD. 🙂
L
Larryr544
May 30, 2004
Ramón G Castañeda – AKA Ramone. It’s been some 20 years since I lived in the Andes of Venezuela. My spanish is a little rusty.
L
Larryr544
May 30, 2004
Linda – AKA La chicka buena y linda que pesa poca. Tu estas muy bien sin problema con migo! Please don’t get mad when you translate that!!!!!! I don’t know how to make those simely faces.
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Okay, now where’s that translater place? 8)
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Ann,

Yes, your experience with 10.3.4 is very important to me. I’m just waiting a tiny bit longer to make sure nothing bad happens to you. 🙂
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Larry, This is what I got when I Babel Fished your text: "AKA chicka good and is contiguous that little weighs. Your these very well without problem with migo!"

Whatever that means? Oy! 8\
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Linda

"Ramon" is fine. As a matter of fact, after I became a US citizen more than 25 years ago, my legal name has been Ramon G Castaneda (no period after G). I just began using the ó and the ñ when computers, specifically the Mac, made it possible to type all characters, sort of like to let everyone know that computers had finally become aware of the rest of the world. 🙂

My first use of computers goes back to the early 1960s (Siemens and IBM behemoths), and it was a source of quiet irritation that they weren’t able to see anything beyond the letters of the English alphabet, so one had to enter the # whenever another character was encountered, regardless of what language was involved. Big relief now. 🙂 á é í ó ú ä ë ï ö ü â ê î ô û à è ì ò ù ã õ å æ œ ÿ fi fl A Ä Å À à  Á Æ E Ë É Ê È I Í Î Ï Ì O Ö Õ Ó Ô Ò Œ U Ü Ú Û Ù Ÿ Ç ç ñ Ñ ¡ ¿
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Larry,

Shall I guess?

AKA chicka good and is contiguous that little weighs. Your these very well without problem with migo!

"American Kennel Association says chicken is good and weighs little contiguously. You would do well to eat chicken to help with your memory."

How’d I do Larry? 😉
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Linda,

As I mentioned the other day, machine translation is worthless, but it would have helped a tiny bit if Larry hadn’t mistyped a few words. 🙂
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Ramon, Your computer history goes back much farther than mine. Our first Mac arrived by UPS in 1986. I didn’t touch it for about a year… I thought computers were "bad". 🙂
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
I want to know what Larry really said. 🙂
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Ask him.
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Aprovação, que você disse realmente Larry?
T
Todie
May 30, 2004
I’m still pissed at computer typography.
(I need comma-under-t for my first name)
<http://bucovina.chem.tue.nl/page_2.html>
L
Larryr544
May 30, 2004
Linda – AKA La chicka buena y linda que pesa poca. Tu estas muy bien sin problema con migo! Please don’t get mad when you translate that!!!!!! I don’t know how to make those simely faces.

AHA even Ramon doesn’t know my secret code…. Adjectives and verbs are reversed in Spanish so …. it says…. Linda is a good and nice chica (slang for fine woman) who weighs little. You are in good standing with me.

So how does one make those happy faces??
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Linda,

Sorry, I had to leave to take my wife to dinner shortly after my last post and we just got back.

I could have sworn I briefly saw a post of yours in Portuguese before I left, but I can’t seem to find it now. Was that the one you edited?

In any event, this is what Larry typed:

… La chicka buena y linda que pesa poca. Tú estas muy bien sin problema con migo!

and this is what I’m speculating he meant to type (I on’t want to put words in his mouth though, it’s my speculation only):
La chica buena y linda que pesa poco. ¡Tú estás muy bien, sin problema conmigo!

= “The good and beautiful girl who weighs [very] little. You’re fine, without a problem with me.”

Ask him, though.
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
What do you know, Larry showed up just as I was typing my previous post. Good timing.
L
Larryr544
May 30, 2004
linda means nice in Spanish.
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Linda means beautiful, pretty, gorgeous. You can use it in context and figuratively to pay a compliment, much as you would speak of “a beautiful person” in English. But its direct meaning is beautiful.
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Your Spanish is a little rusty, Larry. Don’t abandon it.
B
Buko
May 30, 2004
Ramone you are too paranoid. 10.3.4 runs like a charm.

I must agree with Ann all people having trouble are most likely idiots with computers full of haxies.

Go ahead Ramone install it you know you want to. B)
L
Larryr544
May 30, 2004
Now look what I started, Buko is called Ramon by his non-name also.

Buko – I agree 10.3.4 runs great. Although I’m have trouble printing 13 by 19 landscape mode prints on my 1280. I’m not sure when this started. Anyone else? One can try it in economy mode to save ink.
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Buko,

I’ll wait till those idiots with computers full of haxies quiet down. I’ll never know whether my custom software keyboard layouts can be considered haxies in that sense.
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Larry: I just got back and had time to catch up on this thread. I think my head just gained 5lbs. May as well enjoy that extra weight for a while. 😉
B
Buko
May 30, 2004
I’ll never know whether my custom software keyboard layouts can be considered haxies

I don’t think so.
L
LRK
May 30, 2004
Ramon: Thanks for helping to crack that code. Did I have some text in Portugese? I did. 😉
R
Ram
May 30, 2004
Buko,

I’m very glad I haven’t updated yet. A couple of applications have suddenly quit on me. If I had updated, I’d be blaming it on the update.

The first one to quit was Word X (not a shocking surprise, especially while reading a 6MB document). Microsoft confirmed they shipped my free upgrade to MS Office 2004, but it’s not here yet.

I repaired permissions, repaired the disk twice in a row while booting from another volume, and then VueScan 8.0.1 suddenly quit right after the splash screen.

I’m not concerned (yet), but I’m pretty sure I would have been blaming the 10.3.4 update if I had applied it.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
May 31, 2004
10.3.4 has been running fine for me since it was released. (I used the combo installer.)

It is noticeably snappier.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 31, 2004
Linda:
Don’t print in "Landscape" format.
Rotate Canvas 90° instead, and print it as "Portrait" because it prints a great deal faster if you do.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 31, 2004
Ann,

Don’t print in "Landscape" format. Rotate Canvas 90° instead, and print it as "Portrait" because it prints a great deal faster if you do.

As far as you know, is that universally true for Epson printers? I think this may be a great tip and I’d never heard it before.
L
LRK
May 31, 2004
Linda: Don’t print in "Landscape" format. Rotate Canvas 90° instead, and print it as "Portrait" because it prints a great deal faster if you do.

Huh? Good info but might have been posted to the wrong thread? A different Linda? 🙂

Larry: Did you really want to know how to make smiley faces? I can’t seem to find that Web page with all the keyboard combinations. Maybe someone else knows…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 31, 2004
Sorry Linda, it was Larry who posted the problem with landscape printing in message #82 — not you!

[Memo to self: go to bed at a reasonable time and don’t try to read the Forums when your eyes are half-closed from lack of sleep. (Both names start with "L" — at least I could see that bit!)]

Welles:

I think that this may hold true for all printers.
L
LRK
May 31, 2004
No problem Ann… I totally identify… 🙂 If ever I say the wrong thing or don’t say the right thing when I should it’s probably for the same reason… and I tell myself the same thing…
L
Larryr544
May 31, 2004
Ann – Thanks for the tip that’s what I’ll do.
L
Larryr544
May 31, 2004
PS: How about 🙂 that?
L
Larryr544
May 31, 2004
Once someonbe said keyboard combinations I remembered 🙂 THanks all!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections