JD
Posted By
Joel_Dames
May 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Following the steps in Bruce Fraser’s "Out of Gamut" article: www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html

1. I ran the Find Edges filter, found the edges, and inverted (using command i).
2. Using this mask as a selection I made a new layer set to luminosity.
3. I set the "Blend if" sliders exactly as shown in Figure 2, since I don’t know how to judge myself.

This resulted in a layer with nothing in it. Did the sharpening of the edges actually take place following these steps. I don’t see any change at all. Why did I end up with an empty layer when I used the inverted mask outline as a layer selection?

I have seen Bruce Fraser’s Creative Sharpening (dodge and burn,etc) and Global (end stage) Sharpening (Unsharp Mask) which were easy and logical to follow. Something seems to be missing in this explanation of the Capture stage edges sharpening as outlined in this article, at least for someone at my very basic level of understanding.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 26, 2004
Did you copy the selected area to a new layer or just make a new layer? You need to load the selection then copy (commend J) to a new layer and then run sharpening on that. Depending on your edges, you won’t have a lot of pixels on that layer, just the edges of the image.
JD
Joel_Dames
May 26, 2004
This time I loaded the selection (did not load before). But I could not do command J since "layer via copy" was greyed out. I couln’t select "layer via copy" and nothing happend when I tried "command j"
JS
Jeff_Schewe
May 27, 2004
Are you using CS or 7? 8 bit or 16 bit?
JD
Joel_Dames
May 28, 2004
I’m using CS, 16 bit. I just got the CS version of Real Life Photoshop which details this area more, but I haven’t had time to try it out in practice yet.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections