Posted By
Rich_Schnebly
Nov 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!
I’m a relative new user to Elements 2.0 but know my way around some what. As I was working on a photo set up I started to experience a kerning and line problem to all the text I was entering. It was not happening before. The kerning is wide and lots of space between letters. This started happening for no apparent reason. I can’t get rid of it. I tried typing in a new canvas and got the same results. Running XP. Closed everything out and re-booted. Tried re-installing Elements again but did not un-install it first. Re-Intalled fine with no errors. I checked my other graphics programs and they are handling text just fine. So this seems to be isolated to Elements alone. I read through your forum and knowledge base but couldn’t find any solutions.
Any ideas on what else I can try. I could un-install and then re-install but unsure if this would work. I can’t find anything in the Element"s tool bars to reset things.

Rich

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
Have you tried the universal fix of deleting the Elements Preference folder? This would not have come off your machine with an uninstall unless you did a Find for straggling files. There’s a shortcut that’s very easy, and it’s well worth trying before bothering with another uninstall/reinstall routine.

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the Control, Alt, and Shift keys. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes and let go of the keys. A new Preference folder will build as Elements continues to launch.

For some reason, that folder does have a tendency to become corrupted. I think I’ve seen kind of a pattern on my computer, but that might just be coincidence. Always try this first when something that used to work right doesn’t anymore.

Post back and let us know what happened.
RS
Rich_Schnebly
Nov 23, 2003
Thanks Beth for getting back. Late last night I did get the problem fixed but in a weird way. I did go through a complete un-install and totally re-installed everything. You would think that would have worked but no……. Same problem. I finally opened up an existing Elements file that I knew the text layers had been operating correctly. After selecting that layer, I then placed the cursor inside one of the words and began typing. The new text acted normally. I then tested the text typing outside of that layered area, creating a new text layer and everything was back to normal…. go figure. I tried it in a new canvas and it continued to work.
So for now…. I think the problem is fixed. I’ll keep your suggestion handy… just in case. Thanks again!

Rich

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections