N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Nov 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
prior to this morning all my prints were coming out fairly good. they matched what i saw on my monitor very well. now the problem starts. i thought i would get a custom printer profile from Cathys Profiles. i downloaded the targets and followed her instructions to a T. the printed targets are ready to be mailed out Monday morning. now when i go to print my saved and previously printed pics they come out differant. they are darker and the color is off. when i compare a pic i printed yesterday or last week to the same print i made this afternoon they are VERY differant in color. there appears to be more red in the new prints, but that could be because my blood is boiling and i am so mad at myself for messing up my printing. i thought i set everything back to the way is was prior to printing the targets for the custom printer profile. using PSE 2 i have color management set to "no color management" when i slect "print preview" and then select "more options" it says document source profile: sRGB IEC61966 – 2.1 below that it says "print space" then profile: sRGB IEC61966 – 2.1 then below that it says intent: relative colorimetric and below that the box is checked where it says use black point compensation. now i hit print and my print dialog box come up. in that it says printer: stylus 890, which is correct. below that it says presets: standard then below that it has a drop down menu which has the following:copies & pages, layout, output options, print settings, color management, summary. i then choose print settings, select my media type (epson premium glossy photo paper) ink:color, mode:advanced settings, print quality: photo 720dpi. looking under color management before printing it has a check mark by "color controls" which i believe is the way it was prior to this mornings printing of the targets. i then hit print and out comes a pic which does not look like the same print i made a few days ago. can someone PLEASE help me before i pull out what little hair i have left. one final note, my monitor was calibrated using a Pantone ColorVision spyder this morning but i did this AFTER i printed the targets from Cathys Profiles. i do calibrate my monitor every 2 weeks, but for some reason i did not calibrate it BEFORE printing her targets this morning.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent_bertram
Nov 22, 2003
George,
I’m probably in the minority around here, but I get excellent results with color management turned on. Turn Color management "on". Leave your Epson driver set to "color controls" and set the output space profile in Print Preview to " Printer Color Management". That should give you a decent pic . If you want to use a media profile as the output space profile, then instead of "color controls", check the " no color management" checkbox. This puts all the responsibility for color translation on the media profile that you select.

A good tutorial on the subject is at < http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.h tm> .

🙂

Brent
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 22, 2003
well i am FINALLY back to where i was yesterday or this morning. i changed a few setting, pulled some more hair out and then changed some more settings. it now appears that my prints are coming out the same as they were yesterday or this morning. now that i am back to getting "decent" results do any of you think i wil notice a differance once i get and install a custom printer profile from Cathys Profiles?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 22, 2003
George, why do you want this? For what purpose? According to your posts you were getting good prints without it–what are you hoping to accomplish by getting the custom profile that you were not able to do before?

I’m confused.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 22, 2003
George, tell us the truth here: Are you already going bald and trying to find something to blame it on?

Barbara’s right. When it comes to the subject of printing photos my philosophy is definitely "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!"

However, we do admire your spunk. 🙂
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 22, 2003
I have read that getting a custom made profile for your printer is MUCH better the using the "canned" profile that comes with your printer so I thought I would give it a try. once I get my custom made profile I will let you know how my prints come out compared to using the supplied Epson profile.
J
JodiFrye
Nov 22, 2003
OMG Beth! I was going to post the same thing…’ if it ain’t broke….’ too funny. I’m so happy with my epson prints…I would never attempt a different profile…..I’d screw something up for sure !
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 22, 2003
been there……… done that!!!!!!!!!!!
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 23, 2003
George,

You said your prints were coming out "fairly well" and later said you were getting "decent" prints. So actually, you see a lot of room for improvement in the quality of your prints, right? Which is why you are getting a custom printer profile made. Which printer do you have?

edit—and what is it that needs improvement? Presumably it is the color. Are the colors are too dull or what’s the problem?

Nancy
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 23, 2003
Nancy,
I am using an Epson photo 890 with a continuous flow system from MIS associates and there dye based ink. the colors are not dull, but in fact are very true to life. my photos are printing very well but I just wanted to try a custom printer profile. I guess I just want to get the best posiable print I can and since the cost of the printer profile is only $40.00 I thought I would give it a try. I’m not sure it will be an improvement over what i already have, but like i said i thought I would try it and see for myself if it makes any differance.
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
ah, so George just wants more toys to play with. Ok, we understand…I do anyways 🙂
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 23, 2003
Jodi…….you are oh so right. for some reason i just CAN’T leave well enough alone.
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
George, it’s all fine…keeps your mind in workin order…and that’s the best of it 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Nov 23, 2003
Sadly, you’re correct , Jodi ! 🙁

I doubt that there’s any hope for George now. Another $299 and he can have Monaco EZcolor and make his own profiles. He’s doomed . 🙁

🙂

RIP

Brent
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
Oh no, don’t give him any ideas. By Christmas he’ll be complaining that he’s too broke to buy his dog a bone 😉

George, it’s all fine 🙂
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 23, 2003
Christmas……..Monaco EZcolor & maybe a new Canon 300D……..i HAVE been very good you know 🙂
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 23, 2003
Yup, Santa’s keeping track of who’s naught and nice.

I like the Easter Bunny better.

He doesn’t make moral judgments!
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 23, 2003
George,

Toys, I understand the need of.
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
Nancy, I’m rolling…easter bunny ha ha ha

ya toys are good…no, they are great. The toys that make ya think are the best though 😉 Nothin’ wrong with taking a pile of digital images and takin’ notes on settings while your doing it. It’s a great way to learn to use your new ‘digital’ toys….I’m rambling again

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections