JF
Posted By
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
anyone use it and do I need it when i have firewalls up ? If I still need it is there a ‘free’ download to check and see what’s lurking in my system ? I’ve heard of Adware but isn’t that one a little confusing if you don’t know what belongs on your system and what doesn’t ? I was under the impression you have to tell Adware what you don’t want before it will be rid of it. I would like one that will just check my system and ‘know’ what’s not suppose to be there. Thanks.

No, I don’t have anything to hide but i like my privacy.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CR
Chris_Rankin
Nov 22, 2003
Jodi,
I use Spybot-Search and Destroy. It’s worked out very well for me. It will scan your disk for spy programs and list them . Then you can pick and choose what you want to get rid of. It will give a description of what the program is, how threatening it is, etc.

As a general rule of thumb, I don’t delete anything that is related to programs that I installed, that way I don’t inadvertantly mess anything up. So far it’s worked.

You can download it here: <http://spybot.safer-networking.de/>

CR
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
Hey thank you very much Chris ! Will do.
J
JodiFrye
Nov 22, 2003
Chris, there was around 6 of the ‘exploit’ ones that i trashed but all the rest were updaters and alot were from Compaq (my computer) so they got to stay since I would never know how to fix something if I screwed it up….go figure. Thanks again.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Nov 22, 2003
Spyware has nothing to do with firewall protection, Jodi..

Spyware usually comes with programs that you download on purpose (although some can be gotten by simply visiting certain websites and allowing an Active-X control to run or somesuch).

Go to Gator and read the license agreement some time for example. It loads 3-6 extra proggies, depending on when you download it. And some programs are more unscrupulous, in that they simply don’t tell.

The infamous Xupiter could also trash your Winsock if not removed in a certain way. Btw, it finally stepped on some BIG toes and has been shut down:
http://www.pcsympathy.com/article255.html

I use both AdAware AND SpyBot.

Mac
J
JodiFrye
Nov 22, 2003
Well, I was thinking ‘firewall’ because the info has to go back out doesn’t it ? My Norton fw pops up on occasion ( it’s rare but it happens) as soon as I go on-line ( dial up ) saying something is trying to go out….soooo, I was thinking it was the info…no ??
MM
Mac_McDougald
Nov 22, 2003
Yeah, firewall should alert you re any "phone home" spywares, but the worst of them don’t do that as much as other bad behavior: URL redirecting, homepage hijacking, setting DNS proxy server, etc. All of which is not "firewallable" 🙂

Mac
CR
Chris_Rankin
Nov 22, 2003
My biggest problem with firewalls has been that when the pop up comes up saying something is trying to go out, I don’t have a clue what it is. So I’m kinda relying on my anti-virus, Spy-bot, and AOL to keep things from getting out of hand. As bad as AOL can be with some stuff, they actually do a pretty good job of weeding out viruses before they get to you. Of course, when I finally get around to going broadband I’ll have to rely on a firewall.

CR
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 22, 2003
I’m presuming that this isn’t a problem if you are on a Mac? All the spyware type programs seem to be for Windows only. Urgh – if my husband ever gets the Windows box that he’s threatening me with I’ll have to learn about this stuff before I connect him up to my router!

Susan S.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Nov 22, 2003
I use cable, RCA modem.

Running the security test at Symantec, it shows I’m protected fine with no firewall (all ports are locked). Only diff if I run ZoneAlarm and the same test is that all ports are in "stealth" mode, meaning not seen at all. So I quit running ZA, as there is always a slight risk with it corrupting Winsock.

Also, many broadband DSL modems have built-in hardware firewalls that are activated by default. BellSouth uses the Westell (for single puter) and the 2Wire (for home networking), both of which are quite secure. You can configure them to unblock certain ports for interactive gaming and whatnot, if you know what you’re doing.

But as you mention, if you deactivate either of these modems firewall in using your own router, all bets are off.

Mac
EW
Ed_Wurster
Nov 22, 2003
wrote …
anyone use it and do I need it when i have firewalls up ? If I still need
it is there a ‘free’ download to check and see what’s lurking in my system ? I’ve heard of Adware but isn’t that one a little confusing if you don’t know what belongs on your system and what doesn’t ? I was under the impression you have to tell Adware what you don’t want before it will be rid of it. I would like one that will just check my system and ‘know’ what’s not suppose to be there. Thanks.

Use Ad-Aware as part of periodic maintenance. It works.

Install the free version. Update the definitions and run the program. You select what you want deleted.

Never had a problem with it. You can save, or quarantine, the results, and restore later.

It is not complicated at all.

Ed
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
I hope that I dont have to worry about this! I have a Mac, a cable ISP, my router with a firewall. I have never in all my computing years ever had a problem with any of this stuff. I do look at the router log, nothing, look at my ports, Stealth, and all I ever get is just nothing.

Hope that my computer is safe, all my Mac friends have never had trouble either, and tell me that I won’t. OS X is even safer, they say.
I really appreciate you letting us know when bad stuff is out there, and to avoid it.

My main complaint is spam. But that is harmless, delete, delete, delete and so forth, Jane
J
JodiFrye
Nov 23, 2003
well, it was obvious to me that I am being spied on when the only junk mail I get is for photo graphic software. 😉
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 23, 2003
Hi Jodi, You are lucky, as all my friends who have Earthlink( I have an account with them, as well as my cable ISP) get all sorts of stuff that has nothing to do with reality. I wish all I got was photo graphic stuff.
Jane
B
Brian
Nov 23, 2003
I use Adaware a LOT at work (road runner installer) and it works great. Just download for free from www.lavasoftusa.com and run it weekly. Let it delete everything it finds. The only thing I’ve seen it screw up is Kazaa, bacause Kazaa is spyware too… Then reinstall Kazaa if ya’ need too. B.

wrote in message
anyone use it and do I need it when i have firewalls up ? If I still need
it is there a ‘free’ download to check and see what’s lurking in my system ? I’ve heard of Adware but isn’t that one a little confusing if you don’t know what belongs on your system and what doesn’t ? I was under the impression you have to tell Adware what you don’t want before it will be rid of it. I would like one that will just check my system and ‘know’ what’s not suppose to be there. Thanks.
No, I don’t have anything to hide but i like my privacy.
N
notalwayshome
Nov 24, 2003
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:13:42 GMT, "Brian" wrote:

I use Adaware a LOT at work (road runner installer) and it works great. Just download for free from www.lavasoftusa.com and run it weekly. Let it delete everything it finds. The only thing I’ve seen it screw up is Kazaa, bacause Kazaa is spyware too… Then reinstall Kazaa if ya’ need too. B.

Use Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyblaster also………
D
Dimrilldell
Nov 25, 2003
I have on my Win Xp PC Sygate’s Firewall, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, all free for home use, and I feel well protected. Ad-Aware and Spybot overlap somewhat in coverage, but each finds stuff the other doesn’t. All three programs are real gems that get the job done with a minimum of fuss.

Dimrilldell

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections