Posted By
Ann_Shelbourne
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
<http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040525/D82PL2I80.html>

Not that I am trying to start a film versus digicam argument, or anything like thatΒ…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 25, 2004
That’s a great article. I’d love to see some of the work!
P
PShock
May 25, 2004
Each image yields a 2.6-gigabyte file – huge for a single image.

Yawn. I call your piddly 2.6 GB image and raise you 1.4 GB. (3.99 GB …. from a what, 6mp DSLR?)

<http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm>

πŸ™‚
JF
john_findley
May 26, 2004
Nice panos, Bruce. As a former San Franciscan, I found Fort Point nostalgic; as an old-time Floridian, I found the Everglades shot amusing.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 26, 2004
mmmh…Stitching hi-rez segments of an image for larger capture.

Wondering if I could do that with 35mm negs with my old scanner’s optical 600 ppi instead of upsampling in PS. Maybe scan the neg in 600 ppi thirds of about 1/2" each and piece together in PS.

Stop me before I build.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
May 26, 2004
Photomerge works fairly well as a starting point. You’ll likely have to do some handwork.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
Tim:

You would STILL have only 600 ppi in each of your sections: when stitched, that would remain as only 600 ppi for the complete image.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 26, 2004
Ann, I’m trying to figure the math on that one. If I place 600 pixels in a 1/4 space and multiply it by 4 wouldn’t that give me 2400 pixels in an inch?
P
PShock
May 26, 2004
Tim –

No. Each section will simply be smaller pieces of a 600 ppi image. When you combine (stitch) them, it’ll be no different than if you scanned it all at once.

You have to SHOOT in segments and scan those – in essence, making a larger neg out of several small ones.

-phil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
NO!

You are just placing four 1/4 inch "bricks" side by side. Each "brick" will be 150 pixels wide.
Four "bricks" will measure 600 pixels across.
And only 600 pixels!
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 26, 2004
That’s what I meant-600 pixels crammed into 1/4 inch segments stitched together or whatever size segments equally divisable for the length of a 35mm neg.

You’re right, it doesn’t make sense.

Photomerge, is that a shareware app? Thanks for the suggestion, Bruce.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 26, 2004
I need a Bayer aspirin for this. Wait…Bayer makes my scanner CCD filtering. I wonder if they make the aspirin as well.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
<< That’s what I meant-600 pixels crammed into 1/4 inch segments >>

You can’t "cram" 600 pixels into a quarter-inch slice!

Your quarter-inch slice is being scanned by only 150 sensors: they are on a rigid matrix not on a piece of elastic. Each slice can only contain 150 pixels across.

Think of your segments as bricks in a wall: each has a set WIDTH which cannot be changed: in your case, that is 150 pixels.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 26, 2004
Why do I feel like the time when I first heard that I could time travel when first hearing and understanding Einsteins theory of relativety.

Sounds good on paper, but reality says different.

Thanks for the clarification, Ann.

I feel like a hoe handle right now.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
Hoe handles have value too — it just depends on what you want to use it for.

:~)
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 26, 2004
Thanks for the link as well. Ross is my kind of artist. I’ve often wanted to capture the majesty of the landscapes I’ve tried to photograph or paint. Small prints and canvases just don’t do it justice.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 27, 2004
Tim – no, PhotoMerge is the merge tool that ships with Photoshop CS.
TT
Toby_Thain
May 27, 2004
TT
Toby_Thain
May 27, 2004
According to some researches, slow speed 35mm is up to 124.76 megapixel equiv.! Details here <http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/filmwins.html>. On a conservative estimate, 2.25" transparency is at least 150 megapixels <http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm> equivalent, so one doesn’t need to try very hard to beat digital πŸ˜‰

Then, of course, you can always go to 4×5" or 8×10" film…
CC
Chris_Cox
May 27, 2004
Toby – that first article has all sorts of mistakes in it, and appears to be written by someone with a pretty strong bias towards film.

And the Arizona Highways piece makes the mistake of assuming MegaBytes is equal to image detail (much of the film scans are just grain).

Both of those estimates are excessively high for the information content in 35mm film. In a simple side-by-side comparison: 11MP blows away 35mm film, and 6MP can come awfully close to meeting or beating 35mm film.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections