Tooth whitening in PS – is this possible?

P
Posted By
PapaBear
Aug 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am looking to use PS or some other program to preview results of tooth whitening in a dental office. I am trying to replicate the following procedure, for which specialized ($$$) programs exist:

(1) In a picture of a smile the program/plugin/procedure should be able to *select the teeth area* automatically (by color or brightness – very different from lips, gums, etc.).
(2) The user can then *manipulate* the color saturation, color balance on the selection for the desired result.
(3) The selection can then be *combined* with the rest of the picture to be viewed and printed.

Is this possible in PS – or using some plugin, procedure etc. I am a total PS newbie, only recently bought a digital camera 🙂
I have seen past threads about manually doing this procedure. What I am trying to avoid is the process of manually selecting the tooth area, which is time consuming and imprecise.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bernie
Aug 14, 2003
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:52:16 -0400, "PapaBear" wrote:

I am looking to use PS or some other program to preview results of tooth whitening in a dental office. I am trying to replicate the following procedure, for which specialized ($$$) programs exist:

(1) In a picture of a smile the program/plugin/procedure should be able to *select the teeth area* automatically (by color or brightness – very different from lips, gums, etc.).
(2) The user can then *manipulate* the color saturation, color balance on the selection for the desired result.
(3) The selection can then be *combined* with the rest of the picture to be viewed and printed.

Is this possible in PS – or using some plugin, procedure etc. I am a total PS newbie, only recently bought a digital camera 🙂
I have seen past threads about manually doing this procedure. What I am trying to avoid is the process of manually selecting the tooth area, which is time consuming and imprecise.

================
Why go to all this trouble when you can very simple do a feathered selection of the teeth, turn off the marching ants with Ctrl or CMD-H and then do whatever you want with the tooth color.
Bernie
P
PapaBear
Aug 14, 2003
Thanks, I will follow this up.
I have not even installed PS yet, let alone learned how to use it 🙂

<Bernie> wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:52:16 -0400, "PapaBear" wrote:

(1) In a picture of a smile the program/plugin/procedure should be able
to
*select the teeth area* automatically (by color or brightness – very different from lips, gums, etc.).
(3) The selection can then be *combined* with the rest of the picture to
be
viewed and printed.

Is this possible in PS – or using some plugin, procedure etc. I am a
total
PS newbie, only recently bought a digital camera 🙂

================
Why go to all this trouble when you can very simple do a feathered selection of the teeth, turn off the marching ants with Ctrl or CMD-H and then do whatever you want with the tooth color.
Bernie
J
JBM
Aug 14, 2003
PapaBear wrote:

Don’t discount the fact that, while tooth color is very different than lips & gums when we look at them, several factors incl. ambient light and reflections, can blur the differences to an amazing degree when viewing/editing digital photographs. That would be a pretty complex operation to be able to really accurately, automatically select and adjust just teeth.

I’m afraid a manual selection using the pen tool, then convert path to selection, feather 2px, is the best method.

Jonny

“We do what we do because of who we are.

If we did otherwise, the we wouldn’t be ourselves.”

-Neil Gaiman, “Sandman”
B
BlackVelvet
Aug 14, 2003
duh?!
P
PapaBear
Aug 14, 2003
Don’t discount the fact that, while tooth color is very different than lips & gums when we look at them, several factors incl. ambient light and reflections, can blur the differences to an amazing degree when viewing/editing digital photographs. That would be a pretty complex operation to be able to really accurately, automatically select and adjust just teeth.

I’m afraid a manual selection using the pen tool, then convert path to selection, feather 2px, is the best method.

Thanks, this is useful.
What you suggest may very well be the case, but I have seen it done automatically very well by dedicated software.
First I have to see if PS or another program has the programmability necessary to do it.
Then I will tinker with the settings and see what happens.
J
JBM
Aug 14, 2003
PapaBear wrote:

Thanks, this is useful.
What you suggest may very well be the case, but I have seen it done automatically very well by dedicated software.
First I have to see if PS or another program has the programmability necessary to do it.
I’m a hobbyist, not a professsional, but I am also an actor, and anytime I submit a headshot, I whiten my teeth and eyes!!! 🙂

As a dentist, you’d probably recommend having the color adjustment made directly to my teeth! 🙂

Being in the industry, you are probably aware of products designed for just this purpose. But in my (limited) use of PS, I can’t imagine an automation technique like what you’re talking about.

It puts me in mind of those kiosks where they take your picture and put it on the body of Conan the Barbarian, or a Playboy model. They have apparently gotten some sort of system for quick color correction of skin tones so that heads and bodies will match. I saw once where a black man had his head put on Conan’s (Schwarzeneggar’s) body, and with what appeared to be a single click, the man’s face was lightened to (Practically) seamlessly match the skin tone of the body.

Sorry for the rambling –

Jonny

-Neil Gaiman, “Sandman”
P
PapaBear
Aug 14, 2003
I am not a dentist, my wife is.
And, there is special software that allows people to visualize all sorts of changes without high-level computer skills.
Such as – filling gaps, straightening teeth etc.
They’re just asking way too much for it.
There is similar software for orthodontics, plastic surgery, even hair salons.
Thanks and good luck.

"JBM" wrote in message
PapaBear wrote:

Thanks, this is useful.
Heyyyyy… is it possible that when my dentist leaves me alone in the chair listening to Celine Dion that he is really in his office practicing his photoshop skills??

Jonny

B
ben-dover
Aug 15, 2003
you can whiten teeth by lassoing them and feather under the select dropdown about 2 px then go to image drop down and select brightness and contrast. now to move teeth around your gonna have to go to the filter drop down and use the liquify filter its kind of tricky at first but does amazing work. "JBM" wrote in message
PapaBear wrote:
And, there is special software that allows people to visualize all sorts
of
changes without high-level computer skills.

I figured that was the case. All except for the wife part. Sorry for assuming. I am apparently not so good at sounding personable in a newsgroup posting! 🙂 Good luck yourself!

Jonny

J
JBM
Aug 15, 2003
ben-dover wrote:
you can whiten teeth by lassoing them and feather under the select dropdown about 2 px then go to image drop down and select brightness and contrast. now to move teeth around your gonna have to go to the filter drop down and use the liquify filter its kind of tricky at first but does amazing work.

/refers ben-dover to PapaBear and exits room.

Jonny

-Neil Gaiman, “Sandman”
P
PapaBear
Aug 15, 2003
Thanks very much, I will try it.

"ben-dover" <http://www.gilligan@theisle> wrote in message
you can whiten teeth by lassoing them and feather under the select
dropdown
about 2 px then go to image drop down and select brightness and contrast. now to move teeth around your gonna have to go to the filter drop down and use the liquify filter its kind of tricky at first but does amazing work. "JBM" wrote in message
PapaBear wrote:
And, there is special software that allows people to visualize all
sorts
of

I figured that was the case. All except for the wife part. Sorry for assuming. I am apparently not so good at sounding personable in a newsgroup posting! 🙂 Good luck yourself!

Jonny

"We do what we do because of who we are.

If we did otherwise, the we wouldn’t be ourselves."
-Neil Gaiman, "Sandman"

P
PapaBear
Aug 18, 2003
Thanks, I will look into it.

"Joe C" wrote in message
The Photoshop 7 WOW book has a bunch of actions on the included CD and one of them is to whiten teeth. Another is to remove red eye.
Joe C.

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:11:20 -0400, "PapaBear" wrote:

Thanks very much, I will try it.

"ben-dover" <http://www.gilligan@theisle> wrote in message
you can whiten teeth by lassoing them and feather under the select
dropdown
about 2 px then go to image drop down and select brightness and
contrast.
now to move teeth around your gonna have to go to the filter drop down
and
use the liquify filter its kind of tricky at first but does amazing
work.
"JBM" wrote in message
PapaBear wrote:
And, there is special software that allows people to visualize all
sorts
of
There is similar software for orthodontics, plastic surgery, even
hair
salons.

Jonny

"We do what we do because of who we are.

If we did otherwise, the we wouldn’t be ourselves."
-Neil Gaiman, "Sandman"

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections