LL
Posted By
Linda_Levi
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I do my art work in Adobe Photoshop 6 they are vivid and what I want. I have to save to JPG or Giff for my web site and when I place them on the site the color is much less intense and some detail is lost. I have over 400 art pieces and I guess this has been happening all along but I hadn’t noticed. I have a Mac, OS 9.2.2, and my web site is thru Apple’s iDisk. The site is lindalevi.net, and I would appreciate any suggestions to be E-Mailed to me at

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
progress
May 25, 2004
first thing, people dont reply to email addresses here..its a forum, replies stay here.

save for web strips colour profiles off files, this may be what is happening, browsers are colour managed like PS…you need to work in a colour space such as sRGB that is closer to the colour space of the web.

detail loss is caused by compression…use less 🙂
LL
Linda_Levi
May 25, 2004
Don’t understand some of what you’re saying as I don’t know much about color management. Where, what or how do I save "for web strips color profiles off (of?) files. I checked under Color Settings and RGB was sRGBiec611966-2.1, Swop, Gray Gamma 2.2, and Dot Gain 20%. Under Color Management RGB,CYMK, and Gray were off. How do I use less compression in JPG? Use larger files? And what about Giff?
L
LRK
May 25, 2004
Hi Linda,

Your email does not seem to be working for me. I have PS 6 on my older Mac and was going to set up a file for you to compare notes.

If you want to send me a test file you may. Remove the junk before and after my email.

Anyway with PS6 you might get better results by jumping to ImageReady. Still you should set up your color management for Web using sRGB and turn it on. Just don’t embed the profile in your document if you are concerned about file size.

Linda
L
LRK
May 25, 2004
Good job G! Haven’t seen much of you in a while…
GB
g_ballard
May 25, 2004
Thanks! 🙂
J
jonf
May 25, 2004
RGB was sRGBiec611966-2.1, Swop, Gray Gamma 2.2, and Dot Gain 20%

Can someone who knows more about this clarify (not via email) for the forum. My impression is there must be something incorrect in his color profile, since I would not expect to see SWOP or dot gain settings in RGB for display. Those are press settings. What color profile should he be using for RGB for the Web?
L
LRK
May 25, 2004

[edited] Nevermind, looks like you got the answer you needed.
RW
Rene_Walling
May 25, 2004
jonf,

She is talking about her Photoshop colour settings. Those cover RGB, CMYK, Greyscale and spot colours.

Best propfile for the web is sRGB
LL
Linda_Levi
May 28, 2004
I figured out the problem and it had a simple solution. The Color Settings under Edit had the RGB set to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 which made the screen and thus the picture too bright for the Internet. I’ve switched it to either Apple Studio Display or ColorSync RGB. Both are compatible with the Internet. For future works it should be fine, but I had to make ones I had done brighter.
Linda
GB
g_ballard
May 28, 2004
switched (WorkingRGB from sRGB IEC61966-2.1) to either Apple Studio
Display or ColorSync RGB

This move suggests you missed the point, or you are targeting 1.8 Mac users? In any case, this is NOT a good move for most users and it confuses the issue…what is ColorSyncRGB?

Both are compatible with the Internet.

Okay, they show up, but if getting RGB right on the internet is important to you, try providing some links to your color for some feedback.

As 90% of the internet is on 2.2 gamma, I have a feeling your color will only display properly on 1.8 gamma monitors, trouble with that is 90% of the internet users are on 2.2 gamma monitors — and your color will look dark to them (for reasons outlined on my previous link).
R
Ram
May 28, 2004
Like G B, I am not sure what Linda Levi is doing.

One thing is the monitor profile (for instance the "Apple Studio Display" you mention, Linda), a very different thing is the color space or working space (e. g. Adobe RGB 1998 or sRGB). For print there is also the ICC paper profile, but let’s not go into that here because you just want images for the Web.

Linda, you should never embed a monitor profile in an image file, and it’s also far from an ideal or even appropriate working space,
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
May 29, 2004
Remember CM is a start to finish process for it to work. Once editing is thrown in the mix, file origination is most important.

Where did it come from and what space was it edited in. Without knowing this, PS color setting advice is uncertain.

What ever you did to make it look right on your system, you need to tag/assign the file with that space and convert to sRGB.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections