GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Nov 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The 42nd Challenge is now up. Parri (aka Patti) 🙂 Anderson graces us this week with the Challenge Image. It is early for Christmas but the tintinnabulation of keys pressing should peal forth the joys of Elements. Please have fun whit this one in spite of my terrible puns

http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Challenges.html

Present and Past Challenges will remain Until tomorrow at 7:00 pm the then the Present will be Past and new images will be posted.

* Important notice to all the new people in this forum. This is not a close shop you are all invited to submit an image. If you don’t think you are good enough this is your first mistake, I think most have found that working on the Challenge has improved their personal level. So young and old, hot shots and cool dudes now is you time to post.

Grant

Home Pages http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Challenge Pages: http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 21, 2003
Oh Parri, I’m going to have to sleep on this one….so many thoughts hitting my brain, knocking me off my chair ! Grant, mentioned that holiday and now ‘silver bells’ is playing in my head.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 21, 2003
Jodi, I can’t wait to see what you come up with! I’ll have to sleep on it too, I just sent this to Grant today so I haven’t had time to think ahead!

BTW, this lovely ol’ bell is in my yard. Our house (a.k.a. parsonage) shares the yard with the church where my hubby is the pastor. I’ve always wanted to plant flowers around it, but my dog won’t let me. 😉

Hmm…I’m getting an inspiration now…

Patti
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 21, 2003
When Grant says the new challenge is up, does that mean there’s a place we can go to get the challenge picture, or do we wait until Friday sometime?

Confused, as usual. lol

Lorace

ps – I still have to print and scan in order to get the pictures. Sure don’t know why.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 21, 2003
Lorace

Send my your email address and I will send you the challenge. for some reason I have misplaced your address. and yes the image is up and can be reached with the link I supplied if you only see the last link click refresh.

Grant
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 21, 2003
The image is *appealing*

🙂
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 21, 2003
Thanks, Grant

Appreciate it.

Lorace
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 21, 2003
Patti,

What’s that upright thingie on the left side of the bell frame?

Shan
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 22, 2003
The Challenge is now off and running with a very very nice start. It seems the harder the Challenge the greater the images.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 22, 2003
Shan

Do you mean the bell pull?

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
Grant, you didn’t get my image ? I sent it a long while ago. I just re-sent it…hope you get it ;(
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 22, 2003
Jodi I am not sure if my server is having trouble you see it has been very quiet at this end.

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
so you didn’t get the second one either ? I guess I’ll wait a while and see what happens.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
Grant, i just replied to your e-mail but you probably wont get it..i think i can’t send at the moment ;(
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 22, 2003
You mean I can send emails and you can’t reply …oh my god think of the possibilities 🙂

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
no, don’t think of the possibilities…gosh that was a long word. Besides, what fun would that be 😉
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 22, 2003
What’s that upright thingie on the left side of the bell frame?

That’s the pulley (wheel) that the rope went over that was used to ring the bell. You are looking at it straight on, so you can see the spokes. The bell used to be in the old church steeple. It’s a VERY BIG bell. 🙂

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
Parri, when Grant gets my image and posts it….please don’t take it to portray something it isn’t ( like anything bad,,,please ). Just a Jodi moment is all it was and all it is.

I’m having problems sending mail so not sure when it will be posted…just warning you ahead of time 😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 22, 2003
Grant, I’m going to go lay on my you know what and relax now that the house is quiet ( along with the forum ;( ) but I’ll try sending that again in the morning. Thanks
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 22, 2003
Jodi,

Have you considered changing IPs? Yours seems to be at the bottom of the pile with regards to email dependability. I have used two different ones in about 5 years and have NEVER had a problem with email, something to think about.

Nancy
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 22, 2003
Jodi, For some reason, when I go to the Challenge site, I see just the cute little boy #41. I even refresh and still don’t get the new one.

Can you see it?

Lorace
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 22, 2003
Lorace,

Does this link get you there??

<http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Present/index.html>

Nancy
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 22, 2003
Thanks, Nancy. It does get me there.

But I think I found my problem. I was trying to access from AOL browser, but when I went to IE, it was okay.

Live and learn. Thanks a lot.

Lorace

what beautiful entries! Whew!
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 22, 2003
Nancy that coloured bell is glorious – the colours and textures are so vibrant!

Susan S.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 22, 2003
Patti, you described the rope so I had to incorporate it into an entry.

Pete
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 22, 2003
I am lovin’ this — I will probably will never look at this bell the same again!

Patti
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 22, 2003
I haven’t really checked this out – I think it’s easier to ask you. LOL But Bob and JP, your gold letters are beautiful in your challenge pictures.

I’m wondering how to achieve them?

Thanks,

Lorace
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Nov 22, 2003
Lorace —
The gold in mine is just a metal layer style from the One Click WOW set. Bob Warren
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 23, 2003
Patti & Grant,

Ahh! Should have thought of that because it looks like a pulley wheel.

Shan
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 23, 2003
Is there something strange with Marty’s rendering? the thumbnail looks looks a couple of street lamps and different from the big image.
I hope it’s not my puter acting up! 😉

Shan
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 23, 2003
oh my what happened there.

grant
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Nov 23, 2003
Pete D. – Cute! 🙂

MLee
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 23, 2003
Terri Foster:

I *love* the corrugated Antique one.
How did you do that?

Cheers,
Wally from Australia
JK
JP Kabala
Nov 23, 2003
My metals are a little more complicated– I start with the lighting filter, gradient map and
recolor. In full PS, I can do it with curves, too 🙂

and that bow is made with liquify and airbrushes.

Keep in mind that I am old and learned to do most stuff pre layer styles. Sally Beacham (Filter Munky) and I have joked about writing a book together– she uses
a plug-in and drinks a beer while I demo how to do the same thing with native features.

You should see my recipe for wood grain. LOL

wrote in message
Lorace —
The gold in mine is just a metal layer style from the One Click WOW set. Bob Warren
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 23, 2003
Wally

Thank you..I was going for the look of an old antique sign made out of tin. Unfortunately, I didn’t do justice to the filter I was using Jamma 3-D. I also used it on the one that looks like it’s been crumpled. Guess what….it’s FREE. I love free stuff but I really really love it when I get good free stuff. It’s in a set of 7 filters put out by Redfield. Four are freeware…three demos. I just can’t express how awesome these filters are. Of the freeware, one is 3-D, one is water effects (I mean goooooooood water effects), one is lattice or weave, and one is lighting effects. If I was you, I’d download this set before they come to their senses. All of the filters in pack outstanding. Okay, I’ll give you two addresses. To get there directly go to www.redfieldplugins.com….or if you want to do it the roundabout way go to http//:wwwfreephotoshop.com/index.htm. Jodi directed me to this place. Filters, filters, and more filters. This set was the very best one I found (and I found a lot…).
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 23, 2003
Terri, Thanks. I downloaded them this morning, and yes, they are very good. I’ll probably spend the next week exploring them 🙂

cheers,
Wally from Australia
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 23, 2003
Wally, Have fun playing with them. I’m sure you’ll use those to submit something really unique based on your artist portrait. Great concept…you through your eyes.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 23, 2003
Wendy- Oh, that is so pretty! So, how did you get a mossaic to look that good? I know that’s not the prepackaged mossaic filter!

Terr1
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 23, 2003
Wendy – nice stained glass – I’ve been working on one with a similar theme for the last couple of days but I’ve been too busy to get it done. Maybe today…!
Susan S.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 23, 2003
Hi Terri,

Its all done by hand, basically on a new layer you draw over an image then on another layer you colour and texture it. Repeat the process for each individual image to make up the picture and finally you draw a background and colour it using the same method … just wish I could have found a filter to do it for me as it took a while to do 🙂

Everyone sends such good entries for the Challenge its great to browse them and get new ideas.

Wendy
J
JodiFrye
Nov 24, 2003
Wendy, there aint no filter that could have done that and if there is it still would not have turned out this well. ya did a fantastic job on that. Great stuff. Besides, one click wonders get boring 😉
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 24, 2003
SHAN,
Hope you got rid of the street lamps.
I imagine you saw the sky beyond the trees. It was a very foggy morning when I took that picture. Marty
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 24, 2003
Hmmmm – just got mine thrown back as spam too…I’ll try again, new title.

Susan S.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 24, 2003
Wendy, I guess I’ll have to ask Santa for one of those drawing gizmos or a scanner if I want to make a decent Mossaic. By the way, I’m even more impressed by your entry knowing that it’s hand drawn.

Terri
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 24, 2003
Apparently all emails from my ISP’s (Internode) email server were being blocked by SORB (the spam protection system that Grant’s ISP uses) because a single user from Internode had been infected by the Sven virus and sent out a virus/spam email which got picked up – if the spamblocking is commonly that that inflexible it would seem we are all going to have problems…(the guy who runs Internode had a few choice words to say about other ISPs who use such poorly designed spamblockers)

I still don’t know why resending the email got it through though. Susan S.
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 24, 2003
Marty,

Your #40
Before Grant got it fixed, the thumbnail looked like street lamps, especially the light color bell on the left. My bad eyesight is to blame. 😉
I like your original image.

Shan
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 24, 2003
Please try this address

I do not use this often but it seems to be very stable
JD
Juergen_D
Nov 24, 2003
Susan,

The water with the ripples and the reflections looks great in your #2. How did you do that?

Thanks,
Juergen
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Nov 24, 2003
Looks like folks have rung the changes on this
challenge.

BRYON G: Interesting idea of putting the bell and
background onto a rock surface — the continuation of
the crack through the bell is neat.

CHRIS R: I like the burning bell & the contrast with the black & white background in #1. The falling bell in #2 is a gas.

DICK S: Nice cleanup and color job in #1. The nested
color bells in #2 are a nice touch.

FRAN: I like the way you incorporated the clip art in
the ‘card’ design — did you create the curlicues?

IRENE K: Very nice design in #1 — the drop shadows on
the textured background produce a striking effect of
depth. Looks like you used one of the distort filters to change the brick wall into arches in #2 — which one?

JAMES H: The upturned bell as brazier in a great idea
— reminds me of old Hollywood Bible epics.

JODI F: Interesting batch of images this week — I like
your stone wall and reflections in #1, the lightning in
#2, the receding bell line in #3, the really cool
lettering in #4 and, of course, the Texas slogan in #5.

JP K: Great bow! Could you elaborate on how you
achieved the effect?

JUERGEN D: I love the way you’ve abstracted the bell
into a 3-dimensional space.

LORACE G: Interesting incorporation of the bell into
scenes from the Holy Land.

MARYILYN L: I like the way you matched the white snow in the background with the white of the bride’s dress and
cake icing — I was reminded of those sugar Easter Eggs
that you could look into and see an entire scene.

MARTY L: Interesting use of a common texture to unite
some disparate objects in the same theme in #1. Where
are the original bells in #2?

NANCY S: Nice use of color and texture in #1 — a
custom gradiant? I love the way you put the rusty bell
in among the vines in #2 — very nicely done.

PETE D: Are they ringing in duck season or rabbit
season in #1 — cute! I like the cut-away job in #2 and
the way you extended the bell frame.

ROBERT J: Nice use of the bell to comment on modern
fashion design — I especially like the little cutout
for the eyes.

SHAN K: Glad someone thought of using the bell in a
suit of armor!

SUSAN S: Oooh! and also Ahhh! — very nice triple-bell
image (#1). Is that the flood filter in #2?

TERRI F: Nice set of scene insertions. I particularly
like what you did in #4 — the face in the sand is cool.

WALLY A: Interesting images — the tessellation in the
background in #3 is very neat — any hints on your
technique?

WENDY W: As others have already remarked, this is a
great image — I really like what you’ve done there.

Bob Warren
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 24, 2003
wrote in message

<SNIP>

WALLY A: Interesting images — the tessellation in the
background in #3 is very neat — any hints on your
technique?

Thanks for your comment..

It was pretty simple to do in the end.

It came about because of the effect I was going for in #2 (the "winged bell). I knew what I wanted to achieve, and #3 is a midway step with the red light added for effect.

So:

1: I cut the bell, and turned it into a 100×100 pattern, then poured the pattern into a new page. This left white spaces between the bells, that was an upside down bell shape.

2:I then rotated the 100×100 copy of the bell 180%. On the main image, I selected the individual white spaces, and "pasted into" them.

Now that was a bugger to do, because I did it one at a time. If anyone could come up with a better way to do it, I’d appreciate it. I guess I could have made a 100×200 pattern file of two bells, one rotated. Now that I think of it, that would probably work!.

Anyway,it took a looong time :-)) The full page effect is very hypnotic, but I cut it back to the dimensions you see, and added a red spotlight.

So for #2, I did a simple spherise on the whole picture. I suspected the effect would come up something like that, and I wanted the colours of the "background bells" to match the "foreground bell", but be distorted in the way you see.

I just thought the shape and colours of the bell lent itself to a repeating pattern.

Cheers,
Wally from Australia.
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 24, 2003
wrote
BRYON G: Interesting idea of putting the bell and
background onto a rock surface — the continuation of
the crack through the bell is neat.

Bob,

LOL !!

The effect I was shooting for was to have a ragged, wrinkled, scarred piece of an old b/w image, curled up a bit, against a pale version of the colored original.

….guess I need to test-screen my images better before I send ’em in… just because it looks like something to me, doesn’t mean I’ve ensured the same interpretation by others. Hahahaha…

At least the frame is unmistakably Jodi’s Wood Style 6.

I truly appreciate your comments, both for your positive observations, and for the opportunity to reflect. (And for the good giggle I had at myself!!)

Byron
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 24, 2003
My second one was indeed done with the Flaming Pear flood filter – it works for a month without paying for it, and it isn’t extremely expensive after that (altho’ I think the novelty will have worn off by then!). Available for both Mac and PC. I flooded St Pauls’s Cathedral (photo taken on the pedestrian bridge across the river to Tate Modern) and then added the cut out bells and flooded those with the same settings, having first recoloured them to match the stone work – only took about five minutes. It is possible to do these flood effects by hand but it takes much longer.

My first one was done by cutting out and selecting the bells, then on a new layer stroking around the outline in black. On another new layer I drew random vaguely star shaped lines at the same width as the stroked lines. Created a blue back ground layer, added monchrome noise to this, then radial blurred. Then added a lot of pretty lighting effects in various colours to the background and to the bells (using the blue channel as the texture map). Then finally added a metal layer style to the stroked layers to make the leading.

I’m glad people liked them – I had a lot of fun with these!
J
JodiFrye
Nov 24, 2003
Bob W. Thanks for all the replies to everyone…again, you are spoiling us ! All your images are fab as well. I’m torn between #2 and the bunny 😉 By the way, my first one…all the rocks were created from the one rock in the original image. It was a rockin’ challenge 🙂
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 24, 2003
Susan Stewart:

Awesome fooded city.
Cheers,
Wally from Australia

Lots of talent brought out by these challenges.

Someone should think of putting out a CD. :-))
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 24, 2003
Thanks Wally – altho’ the credit for that one really goes to the guys who created that flood filter…

Susan S
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 24, 2003
Hi Everyone,

I have just noticed something peculiar about my challenge entry. When I finished it the size was 13.25 cm by 19.88 cm (1565 pixels by 2348 pixels) 1.2MB tiff so I did a save for web 533 pixels by 800 pixels, quality 45 to reduce the file size to 91KB.

The odd thing is that when I look at the new jpg size in cm it is 18.8 by 28.22 ! … and its not just a one off as I tried it again and the same thing happened.

How can the size increase like that? I am most confused …. has anyone any ideas about what is happening?
Wendy
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 24, 2003
Wendy

It is just a trick of mathematics. You original image was a tiff and your graphics program had it pegged at 300 dpi.

The one on the web being was interoperated by your graphics program as being 72.dpi.

If you tell Elements that you want it printed at 300 dpi the image will drop to 4.5cm by 6.8cm

Grant
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks Grant,

It had me totally fooled 🙂

Wendy
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 25, 2003
Bob,

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them.

Dick Smith
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 25, 2003
SHAN,
Glad it got fixed, and thanks for looking!
PATTI,
My side yard bell is no longer lonely…they are getting along ding dong dandy. Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 25, 2003
JODI,
The aging bell on a stone fence reminds me of some wonderful visits in Connecticut and their charming countryside. I sat in awe looking at "Patti’s Bell", the colors were captivating. All your work (play) has been A#1 (except for that ugly hairy cowboy!).
I haven’t made a brush yet but have the "how to" still sitting on my computer desk. Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 25, 2003
Wally A.
The shading and tones in the pink bell make it especially interesting. I also likes the stain glass window, a beautiful rendition. You certainly have an artistic mind. Marty
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 25, 2003
wrote in message
Wally A.
The shading and tones in the pink bell make it especially interesting.

Thanks Marty, it was fun getting that one out.

I also likes the stain glass window, a beautiful rendition. You certainly
have an artistic mind.

Can’t take credit, that’s Wendy Williams’ work. I wish I could figure that out, because I’d love to do something like that for some Xmas cards I’m producing for family members.

Cheers,
Wally from Oz.
IK
Irene_K
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks for your comments again, Bob. It is always so nice to read your comments on everybody’s images, and look the pictures again. I can’t decide between your images, they are all good, balanced ones. The #1 originally caught my eye when it was posted, then you posted the other pictures and of course the bunny … 🙂

I used the Polar Coordinates filter in #2 with the same cut down image as in #1 but with colours. It seems to me that I’m using it quite often, as well as the Diffuse Glow.

Irene K
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks for the compliment Bob. Out of your entries, I like your rabbit entry the best . The added texture to the flowers really catches the eye and makes your entry "pop". I also liked your Christmas bells…nicely arranged…would look beautiful on a card.

Wally, LOVED the spinning bell…or is it a half moon. At any rate, it’s beautiful…done to perfection…would look nice hanging on a wall. I also liked the #3…nice tiling and use of color.

Chris R. Is that Lars under that bell? It gave me a laugh when I saw it. I really liked your bell of fire. Very realistic effect. Did you learn this in that Fire Tutorial there was a thread about several weeks ago? At any rate, it’s very well executed.

Robert J. I got a laugh out of your entry. I think you have been watching E!

Nancy S. I like the way you incorporated the bell into the truck’s grill.

Susan S. I can’t decide if I like your glow or water better. I LOVE both of those entries.

Fran. I like your eye for composition.

Jodi. Beautiful work as ever…I particularly like patti’s bell entry. I liked the way it had a glowing ember look.

Ann T. That’s cute the way you made the bell into little mushrooms.

Shan K. Loved the Armor. At first, I thought you had sent something else into the challenge by mistake…but then I saw it. So natural I almost overlooked it.

Irene. Your’s are beautiful enough to be Christmas cards.

Marti. If a bell rang in the forest, would you hear it ring? A very lonely piece. I’m seeing a gate or fence of some sort at the bottom…that’s not a cemetary fence is it?

Marilyn. That is so sweet. That would look lovely on anyone’s wedding album. Is that your wedding picture?

Dick I like the transparency you gave the flag in the background.

Byron. I’m amazed by how much that actually looks like paper.

James. I like your use of colors and bevel. It has kind of an Art Deco feel to it. I also like that up close it had a nice texture to bell and flames…very nice.

Lorace. I enjoyed your piece with the fairy. So mystical. Very nicely put together.

Pete. Your loony toon entry is soooo cute.

Juergin. I like the way you transitioned into several different textures and colors…very smoothly accomplished.

Again, Wendy….beautiful stain glass!
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 25, 2003
Bob W.,

Re:- Your #47
I got a little greedy with showing more of the background interior. The armor figure is too small. There is a face mask under the "bell" helmet, making like Darf Fader. May be I should do a closeup. ??

Shan
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 25, 2003
Nancy,

Re; your Image #2
Almost missed seeing the bell at first glance. Must have spent quite some time selecting the interstices among the vines. Did you use the Magic Wand or some new-fangle secret weapon?

Shan
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 25, 2003
Wally, LOVED the spinning bell…or is it a half moon. At any rate, it’s
beautiful…done to perfection…would look nice hanging on a wall. I also liked the #3…nice tiling and use of color.

I set it up as kind of a "flyng bell" I was working on something like Mike Oldfileds Tubular bells at the time, and figured that a spherical filter would make it happen, Funy you should say something about hanging on a wall. My sister in law wants a print of it. I’m going to centre it a bit more, then do it. The background is the same tiling on number 3, but with the sperise on as well.

I think everyones was was vvery good. I mean everyones.

sory about mispellings. Got some awesome news tofay, and been on red wine for a bit.
cheers,
Wally
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 25, 2003
Shan,

I tried to find a secret weapon, but to no avail.
No matter which approach I used (like all the blending modes) I couldn’t get the grey inbetween the vines to "drop out" and leave the vines reasonably intact. I didn’t select the vines, I erased around them and actually deleted quite a few so as to better see the bell. It was tedious but I was in a patient mood.

Nancy
JD
Juergen_D
Nov 25, 2003
Terri, Bob,

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I wanted to try something different and thought the result was interesting enough to post.

Juergen
IK
Irene_K
Nov 25, 2003
Thanks, Terri. I especially like your beach scene.

Irene K
PD
Pete_D
Nov 25, 2003
Bob,

Appreciate your comments! Thanks.

Pete
PD
Pete_D
Nov 25, 2003
Oh, and Bob,

I always like seeing what you have conjured up 🙂 The bell tunnel is my favorite 🙂

Pete
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 26, 2003
Hi everyone. I am checking via my archaic desktop (28k modem). My laptop went on the blink (literally) last night — arrggghhh! I was actually working on my challenge entry and the screen went black, as if it went into sleep mode/hibernation. I was working on battery power, playing with a scanned image of an old postcard of the actual church this lovely bell came from. Apparently…I should have been on AC power! I am hoping it’s nothing serious, because having a computer break down during a holiday week is bad. 🙁

This has happened before (Compaq Presario 700Z) and I was able to have it fixed…but my local computer guru is out of town until tomorrow. No, of course it’s not under warranty anymore and of course I was planning on getting a new laptop next spring. I have done all the usual easy fixes for laptop power problems, remove battery, hard reset, remove/re-seat RAM. Still no go.

I won’t be able to install Elements on this ‘puter, it just doesn’t have the juice. If push comes to shove, I will still send in my entry late or I will post it in my PBase gallery.

Say a little prayer for my laptop…
🙂 Patti
R
Ray
Nov 26, 2003
Patti, I do hope that whatever the reason it is for your computer to have got down, it won’t cost you big $$$ to get it back 🙁

Ray
BE
Bob_E._Warren
Nov 26, 2003
Pete —
Thanks for the comment on the ‘bell tunnel’ — I had some fun with that one! Bob Warren
ML
Marilyn_Lee
Nov 26, 2003
Bob Warren and Terri Foster – Thanks for taking the time to comment on my picture. The couple in my wedding bell are my sister and brother-in-law. I, instead, got married in jeans and cowboy boots 🙂

I liked your bunny picture, Bob; it would make a nice greeting card. And your beach scene was really extraordinary, Terri. Certainly lots of variety this time around.

MLee
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 26, 2003
BETH,
You Christmas card looks so real that I can smell the pine. It’s given me a great idea for a similar card using one of my White Pine trees (Thanks).
ANNE with an "e",
Wonder if those little mushrooms are the edible type??? I’m curious…what kind of camera do you use to get such detail in the tree bark?
TERRI,
The bell on the right is mine and in the side yard. Beyond those bells is a field of Pines. One night about 11 PM my 15 yr old son played taps from that field. That was such a ‘goose pimply’ moment.
Marty
B
bethC
Nov 26, 2003
Marty, I love the idea of a card using white pine trees.. . sounds great. I like the bells in your side yard. 🙂

beth
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 26, 2003
Wally,

Some time back I found a tutorial for doing stained glass … I will try to find the link again and post it for you.

Hopefully in time for you to do your Christmas Cards 🙂

Wendy
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Nov 27, 2003
Wendy,
Thanks, much appreciated.

Wally from OZ.
CS
carl_sutherland
Nov 29, 2003
Grant,

Did you get any of the messages I sent with my Challenge entry? The last I sent to seemed to go through. However, I get so many "returned messages" that I could have overlooked it.

Carl
GD
Grant_Dixon
Nov 29, 2003
Carl

I am so sorry I have not got into the habit of checking I have had the address for a long time but have never used it. While it is very secure almost to secure as I do have to do a little reaching to get it. You are more than welcome to use this address. as well as everyone else, but for fast results please tell me it has been used. At least until I get my act in gear.

You great image is now on line.

Grant
CS
carl_sutherland
Dec 1, 2003
Grant,

Thank you for your all too kind comments. I will continue to use the regular URL’s unless I have trouble like this time then use this one and leave a message here on the Challenge thread.

Thanks for all your wonderful work.

Carl
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jan 26, 2004
Marty,

I have just discovered the forums. Thought I’d answer your question even though it’s MONTHS old. My camera is a Canon G2 (4mp). It really does take great pictures.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
Hi Anne, tell us, where are you from ?
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Jodi,

Anne’s from just up the road from me, in the Asheville, NC area.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
cool ! So i guess she got sprinkled on with the white stuff as well…Thanks Dick 😉
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Yep, I’m sure she did. Anne was a student of mine at a local community college. She really added a lot to the class with her knowlege of Elements.
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jan 30, 2004
Yes, I’m from Asheville and am a retired EPA librarian. Dick is a GREAT teacher;I learned SO much from him. And participating in the Challenges has really improved my knowledge of Elements–it is SO much fun. My 16-year-old granddaughter Margueritte Pelissier, who entered a few of the Challenges before Christmas is back in the game with an entry in Challenge #51. She and I are probably the youngest and oldest of the challengers, and our styles probably reflect that. Thanks to everyone for their nice remarks about my past entries.
P.S. I live up a steep driveway on the side of a mountain and have just escaped after three snowbound days! I promise my future comments won’t be so long!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections