CS
Posted By
Claude_Saccaro
May 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop CS the airbrush tool doesn’t seem to work as it should. When attempting to use it on a layer with a mask it is either not available (crossed circle icon) when the mask is selected and trying to use it when the main layer is selected I get unpredicable results. the layer appears to get brighter (?) What is going on and how can I get the airbrush to work like it used to? (Assuming the airbrush tool burried in the history brush tool sub menu is the right airbrush tool)?…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 21, 2004
Use the Brush tool and click on the airbrush icon in the Options Bar.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 21, 2004
The airbrush is now just an option of the Brush tool in CS.

This thread might be helpful:
progress "no separate airbrush tool in photoshop CS. WHY!" 2/10/04 4:22am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
CS
Claude_Saccaro
May 21, 2004
Right I see the airbrush is now inconveniently stuck there but… why doesn’t it want to work on layer masks?? What am I missing here?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
The brush and airbrush work just fine on layer masks.

Are you trying to use them on a vector mask?
CS
Claude_Saccaro
May 21, 2004
No, just a regular mask on a regular bitmap layer. Is there a new default in CS that makes a layer uneditable when you first create it? This makes no sense at all. (PS I’m upgrading from version 5 so I don’t know what may have been changed since).
CS
Claude_Saccaro
May 21, 2004
I’ve tried again. Now the brush outline appears normal when going over the image but the paint has no effect using either black or white. This is in normal edit mode. Choosing quickmask mode at the bottom of the tool pallette results in the airbrush being unavailable again.

In PS5 when you select the layer mask , the color palette turns to black and white only to pick for the airbrush. This doesn’t happen here….

Update:

Neither the history brush or the airbrush work on ANY layers. The brush size outline appears but no effect. Only the "art history" brush works (if that kind of liquid blur effect is what the art history brush is supposed to do). OSX.2.6
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 22, 2004
Claude:

In the Layers palette, are you clicking on the icon for the Mask (rather than the image)?

And it IS a non-Background layer isn’t it?

And you are using the Brush [B] and not the History brush?

And you have values (other than zero) for opacity and flow?

And you have checked the Brush palette to set the Brush tip and other options to the ones that you want?
CS
Claude_Saccaro
May 22, 2004
Update 2:

Opening a brand new document I fill the only layer with a color using the paint bucket then try to paint over that regular layer with the airbrush and a different color and the effect is like a mask! (the color disappears where I paint!) WTF??? This is with all settings at default as was installed… CS upgrade version / Mac OSX.2.6 / Powerbook G4

Other tools appear to work normally…
CS
Claude_Saccaro
May 22, 2004
Ann, the brush "B"? I only see the "history/ art history" brush in the tool box…

….Bloody hell there is a proper brush in the tool box (hidden with the pencil) and that works. Ghaadd the joys of upgrading… Thanks Ann.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 22, 2004
I hate to say it — but you might want to buy the Manual!
[ If you bought the CS "Suite", the Manuals are (disgracefully!) not included and have to be purchased separately.]
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 22, 2004
As I said back in #1 of 10. Sorry I just assumed you knew the Brush and Pencil shared the same "space"
R
Ram
May 22, 2004
Ann,

I do not count that PDF on the CD as a "Manual!

Well, I don’t count the printed User Guide as a manual either. To me it seems to be some sort of boring collection of reminders to look further in the Help files. 🙁

I’m heading down to Borders tomorrow hoping to find a copy of Photoshop CS Classroom in a Book to thumb through and buy it if it’s anything like the previous editions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 22, 2004
I actually agree with you Ramón.

The current CS Manual just says "See page x" after every three sentences until it eventually dumps you in "See Online Help" — which is not much help when you are sitting in a comfortable chair far away from the computer.

The Manuals which came with earlier editions were better, fatter and included (FREE) in the box!
T
Todie
May 22, 2004
Claude, Pay attention to the slew of FX the Brush is capable of and are checked by (misguided) default.
(it’s good that they are there, but shouldn’t "by default")
CS
Claude_Saccaro
May 22, 2004
It seems a trend then that manufacturers will no longer supply printed manuals for upgrade products. Macromedia does the same thing now. (Cut cost / increase profits). At least the Adobe upgrade policies haven’t changed. Macromedia are becoming VERY greedy (discontinuing upgrade paths for earlier versions and overpriced upgrades). To try to sell an application’s manual separately is really tacky. (This is the price for the car. Steering wheel sold separately).

About the brushes, there are indeed a bunch of new brushes in there since version 5. The healing brush seems interesting. My problem is that if they move anything even a half inch away from where it was I’m NOT gonna find it!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections