Any recommendations for books re: TAKING great photographs.

BW
Posted By
Brett_Watson
Nov 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve purchased the few books generally considered the best in the realm of using Photoshop Elements to edit photos. However, I’d like to go back and refine my skills and actually learn to take better photos so that it might not be necessary to use PSE as much. Does anybody have any books re: digital photography that doesn’t focus on after-the-fact editing that they can recommend? Thanks in advance.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 18, 2003
I followed a recommendation on a book that I like very much for general understanding of photography. The KISS guide to Photography by John Garrett. I would also suggest you do an Amazon search find the most popular books on photography and check out customer reviews.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to review my readings.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 18, 2003
One new book you might want to browse is "Shooting Digital: Pro Tips for Taking Great Pictures with Your Digital Camera" by Mikkel Aaland. Mr. Aaland is the author of the highly recommended "Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions", and his new book is focused (oops – no pun intended) on photographic techniques more so than editing. I don’t have the book; just thumbed through it at B&N on Saturday. You might want to read the reviews on amazon.com, then pick it up and look at it at a bricks-and-mortar bookstore before making a decision.

Chuck
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 18, 2003
I’d call that a draw, wouldn’t you Chuck?
BW
Brett_Watson
Nov 18, 2003
Thanks guys. I didn’t know about the new Aaland book. I have his "Solutions" books and like it a lot. I’ll take a look at this new one. Thanks.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 18, 2003
The KISS guide to Photography

Interesting title. "KISS" is a saying I have heard for many years for both artists and photographers.

Pete
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 18, 2003
KISS = Keep It Simple Series
EM
Eric_Matthes
Nov 18, 2003
I always go back to Mountain Light by Galen Rowell. It’s old, but it always reminds me of a couple ways to find better images.
PD
Pete_D
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah Mark, I heard it stated that way but more often keep it simple, Stupid. (meaning that it is not smart to complicate the art by having too much in there).

KISS = Keep It Simple Series
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 18, 2003
<>

Sounds like a local beer we have around here, Eric. 🙂 Hmmm…I wonder if it would help me find better images?

Patti
WB
W_Bobrowski
Nov 19, 2003
Pick up the latest copy of "PC Photo" magazine, December 2003. An excellent article on using your camera’s ‘automatic’ features. It’s just one component of taking better pictures! The number one technique is "learning how to see", and paying attention to detail and composition, all within a split second. It simply takes time and some practice, but you’ll suddenly go from ‘snapshots’ to photographs. Have fun.

Walt
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 19, 2003
Walt, re ‘snapshots’ to ‘photographs’….I’m still waiting for that sudden shift….

🙂

Chuck
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 6, 2004
I’m reviving this thread because I need a good intro to digital photography (including possibly image manipulation with PSE) book for my Mom. We (my sibs and I) just got my parents their first digital camera this last Christmas and I think my Mom could benefit from a good reference book. I want to avoid those books that spend to much time talking about what to buy and/or digital technology. She has no interest in this info and she already has a camera. So I guess I’m looking for a book more geared to beginner digital photography technics. It’d be nice if it were Mac oriented particularly if it deals with iPhoto, but that’s not essential.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 6, 2004
Joe, the first 100 pages or so of the Missing Manual for iPhoto are devoted to digital photography. Lots of stuff about camera features, but quite a bit about taking pictures, too. Might be worth a look.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Mar 6, 2004
Joe

If your mom has is plugged in then Kodak has a wonderful site for beginner photographers. Well intermediate and advanced can learn a trick or two from the site as well. The site is based on taking better photographs and doesn’t make a big distinction between digital and film. Finally at free the price is right.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=38& pq-locale=en_US

Grant
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 7, 2004
Barb,

Thanks for the tip, I ordered it from Amazon for $18.00. It’s for iPhoto 2 but that’s ok, there really isn’t a whole lot of new features in 4. It looks like just the right book for her.

Grant,

I’ll get her over to Kodak’s site. I’ve actually read through most of that site but until you mentioned it, I’d completely forgotten about it. The price is certainly right!

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Mar 7, 2004
Joe, geeze, i thought a bunch of new features were added to iP 4….slideshow, transitons,audio
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 7, 2004
Joe, I think the iphoto 4 book was just released, but you’re probably better off with the older one. The new book combines iphoto and itunes, so it probably dumped the photography section in the interests of space.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 7, 2004
Joe, Mikkel Aaland, who wrote the excellent "Photoshop Elements 2 Solutions", has a new book out that may be worth looking into for your mother. It’s called "Shooting Digital: Pro Tips for Taking Great Pictures with Your Digital Camera" and it can be found at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0782141048/qid =1078631047//ref=pd_ka_2/102-9996600-9130541?v=glance&s= books&n=507846

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
Mar 7, 2004
Chuck,

I ordered that book earlier this week — with Amazon’s "super saver" shipping, I should have it by mid-July.

Byron
MR
Mark_Reibman
Mar 7, 2004
Joe, geeze, i thought a bunch of new features were added to iP 4….slideshow, transitons,audio

Jodi,

There are a few new features but they aren’t really significant. The main change, importantly, is that it finally has some speed. After two or three upgrades in two years they’ve finally got it to work like it should have originally. Better late than never.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Mar 7, 2004
Chuck,

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m actually going to get that one for myself! Mom can have it after I’m done with it. 😉

Jodi,

You’re right that iPhoto 4 did add some transitions (and a couple other minor features), but as Mark said the biggest improvement was speed. iPhoto 2 could do slide shows and use audio.

Joe
DR
Don_Reitz
Mar 7, 2004
Assuming you’re looking for something more than a "how to" book, I recommend Ansel Adams’s three-volume "Photography Series," particularly volume 2, "The Negative." Here is a man who knew every aspect of photography inside out. It gets fairly techincial, but if you want to learn both the art and craft of photography there’s no better way than through these books.

This series will help you learn how to make creative judgements (that is, visualize the photo you want) before taking the shot, thus reducing the need for corrective (as opposed to creative) digital alterations later on.

By the way, when referring to PE photo manuals you mentioned the "best in the realm." As a newcomer to digital photography and PE, I have to ask what are these?
Don
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 7, 2004
Don, here’s the best list going, brought to you courtesy of forum artiste extraordinaire Bob Warren:

<http://www.rewarren.com/challenge/books.htm>

Chuck

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections