BM
Posted By
Bruce_McIlroy
Nov 17, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Many years ago, it was popular to print photos that had an overall "sepia" tone – it was a light brown tone that was used to enhance the entire image. Please (1) tell me how to create a sepia print with Elements 2 on Windows XP SP1 or (2) tell me where to look for instructions in online help or the User Guide. I have no experience in this aspect of the program.

Thank You

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 17, 2003
Bruce; as usual there are many ways. The easiest way is to create a new layer, go to Variations and create a sepia colour by mixing reds and yellows. Afterwards you can adjust the colour by means of either varying saturation and/or the opacity of the layer.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 17, 2003
Bruce, you can try an adjustment layer. In the toolbar go to ‘layer’>new adjustment layer>hue/saturation. For sepia set hue to 30 and saturation to 25 and check the ‘colorize’ box. You can play with those hue/sat sliders a bit to suit your ‘sepia’ taste.
PC
Pat_Coggin
Nov 17, 2003
Bruce, create a background copy layer. Go to Layer Styles, then photographic effects. There is a sepia tone that can be applied to this layer.
BM
Bruce_McIlroy
Nov 17, 2003
Wow! What a great and fast response. Thanks to Leen, Jodi and Pat.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 17, 2003
Bruce, if you do as Pat says in post #3 you can also tinker with the opacity by adjusting on the slider on layers palette…maybe even adjust the mode setting to get just the look that suits your taste.

Terri
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 17, 2003
Try both methods, Bruce. A lot of it is a matter of taste. I much prefer Jodi’s method because the built in sepia tone, even with adjustments, has a yellowish cast that I don’t care for. You might like it, but be fair to yourself and your photo and try both!
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 17, 2003
And if you want yet another method…I use a gradient map see <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.1de96459/32> for instructions (post no. 30…)

Susan S
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 18, 2003
This easy technique was included in lessons I took from Sara on the Eclectic Academy site. Remove the color from photo under "Enhance, adjust color. Still under adjust color, check color variations. Click on Increase red and then on decrease blue. Works really well on some photos. Do
MO
mat_of_the_mint
Nov 20, 2003
Go to <http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html>. Then click on Black & White, under that click Classic Tones, then download "these curves".
Just put them in their own folder under Adobe or Photoshop. To use them, under Adjust, Curves, click Load and the curves will come up. Click the one you want. After OK, you can makes adjustments.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 21, 2003
Regrettably, the Curves dialog in Elements doesn’t have the Load button. Not sure there’s a workaround…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections