Posted By
Andrew_Lynch
Nov 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Folks,
I would like to know what the "Full color management Optimized for print" setting in elements 2 corresponds to in the color settings system of full photoshop.

Thanks,
Drew

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
Nov 14, 2003
Andrew,
"Full color management" mode simply sets the working space to the AdobeRGB colorspace, a medium gamut space well suited to printing to inkjet printers. Working in "limited color management" sets the Elements workspace to "sRGB" colorspace, which is better for the uncalibrated world of web graphics , and is not as rich in color as the AdobeRGB gamut . Hope this helps, great information on the colorspace subject at <http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html> .

No Photoshop Elements info available at the site, however.

🙂

Brent
AL
Andrew_Lynch
Nov 14, 2003
Thanks, Brent.
I did a little experiment last night after I posted.

I took one image and duplicated it three times. In one, I used the colorsync tools on OSX to remove the embedded profile. One one I embedded an sRGB-IEC… profile, and on another I embedded Adobe RGB 1998. I used the tool Image Info to verify that These removals and embedding succeeded. I installed the ignore exif colorspace plugin, an opened all three images. The three images showed up as "Adobe RGB", sRGB IEC…" and "Untagged RGB" as expected. While the differences were slight, they did appear different. The Adobe image was reddish, the rgb image was grayish, and the untagged image was in between, closer to the adobe image.

I then set the Print space to the custom profile I had made for my paper and printer (Ilford Galerie Classic Pearl and Epson Stylus Photo 870). I printed all three images the same way. The images on the paper reflected the differences I had noted on the screen. (Note that the source colorspace in the print preview matched the colorpsace I had embedded.

So… I’m not sure, but I think this contradicts your statement. Does it?

Thanks,
Drew
BB
brent_bertram
Nov 14, 2003
Drew,
Converting an image in Photoshop from 1 profile to another profile, should not change its appearance. I suspect that the untagged image behaved the way it did because having no reference profile to start with ( untagged image ), perhaps Photoshop "assigned " the AdobeRGB profile to the image, which would change the image’s appearance.

The convert option is designed to go from 1 defined colorspace to another. I really don’t know what happens when Photoshop "converts", but has no valid reference on what it’s converting from .

By the way, since you’re on a MAC , you should check out imbedding the ColorMatch RGB profile in your images. Elements should respect that tag, and I know of many instances where it seems to be a better colorspace for an image than either sRGB or AdobeRGB. The colorsync utilities give MAC users the ability to "softproof" images in various colorspaces ( albeit with a little more work <G> ) that we Windows Elements users miss out on.

🙂

Brent

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections