BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Could someone try this and see if it’s working for you? Since upgrading to panther I can no longer use the attach to e-mail function in PE (not that it matters much).

When I try to use it, it asks to autoconvert, then launches mail, but only gives me a blank mail document with no attachment. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 12, 2003
It’s working for me, ‘cept Photoshop Elements crashed once the email was completed. I’ll try it again and see if it’s consistent in crashing.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 12, 2003
Thanks, Mark. With me, it does convert the photo, but the attachment just evaporates before it gets put into the mail doc.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 12, 2003
Barbara

I did see that evaporation effect that you mention on one of my attempts.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 12, 2003
You know…..the recent threads on the various ‘challenges’ with Panther are not creating a groundswell of interest in switching. Has Mac lost its legendary simplicity and reliability??
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 12, 2003
Hi, Chuck. No, not at all, but there is still plenty of truth in the old saying that if you want to stay on the cutting edge of technology you’re gonna bleed a little. 🙂

Left to my own devices I would have waited a couple of months to go to Panther or to do any major system upgrade. By then they’ve found the bugs and fixed them.

I waited quite a while to go to jaguar and didn’t have a single problem with it. I presume that if I had given panther a bit more time to grow up (had no choice–told to upgrade), it would have been as smooth.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 12, 2003
Well not that this helps much, but it works just fine for me. No PSE crash and the image is attached and waiting to be sent.

Joe
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 12, 2003
Barbara, OK. Just seems like there have been a few more ‘hiccups’ on the Mac scene lately than I saw a year ago. The price of progress, I suppose… For me, XP has represented a sea change in ‘puter reliability vs. 98SE, so I’m a happy camper on the other side of the tracks.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 13, 2003
Joe, are you using mail.app or Entourage or something?

seems like there have been a few more ‘hiccups’ on the Mac scene lately than I saw a year ago.

Actually, I would say that overall things are more stable. I think it’s just that more people are daring to jump right in these days. The number of panther complaints is a lot less than the amount of jaguar whining last year over at apple, that’s for sure.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 13, 2003
Well, this is very strange. I’ve been trying again, and what it is doing now is that I still have the blank doc when it’s done, but if I leave that one open and run attach to email again, it will paste the new conversion into the old document and create a blank new one on top of it.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 13, 2003
Barb,

I’m using Mail.

Now that I think of it, the Attach to Email exhibited the same behavior, inlcuding your last post, during one of the 10.2.x updates. I can’t remember which one but a subsequent update fixed it. It wasn’t a big deal because I generally don’t use the feature (due to the single image limit).

It’s weird, though, that you’re experiencing the same thing in Panther, that I did in Jag. Hmmm…

Joe
MR
Mark_Reibman
Nov 13, 2003
Barbara,

My lastest attempt to send a larger file via attach email once again crashed Elements. Fortunately it is not one of my favorite feature of Elements and I send my photos via iPhoto.

Otherwise my experience of Panther has been very positive.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 13, 2003
Well, and Mark seems to be seeing something similar, too. I talked to someone using Entourage and he was fine, so who knows? Thanks, Joe.
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 13, 2003
I’m not sure how to do it, but we (you) should post bug reports to Apple and Adobe regarding this repeatable bug.

Bob? Mark Hiers?

Steve
LM
Lou_M
Nov 13, 2003
Wow, that is really strange, Barbara.

I just tried testing Elements and Mail–I didn’t even realize that feature existed before–and I’m seeing pretty much what you and Henry reported. And one more thing: If an empty Mail message is open and I try to send a picture from Elements, then the image appears–just for a second–in the e-mail, then a new empty mail message pops up on top, then the picture disappears(!) from the first e-mail.

The first time I did this, Elements crashed and the Panther error report screen popped up and I logged the error with Apple. The second time I tried this, after I go back into Elements, the File menu pops up but it’s BLANK. All the other menus are fine, but the File menu is completely blank. Looks like it’s waiting for a return message from Mail but never gets it.

But wait, there’s more. The File menu is blank, but apparently it still works. I can get submenus to show (such as recently opened files list, import/scanning options, Picture Package, etc.) and they even work fine. Very bizarre.
B
BobHill
Nov 17, 2003
Stephen,

Perhaps Mark Hiers can help with this one. I don’t do MAC so can’t help with problems specific to that platform. I don’t see a problem with sending via mail on a PC with Outlook or Outlook Express however.

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 17, 2003
Hi, Bob. No the problem appears to be specific to mail.app in Panther. Entourage or others are fine, even in panther, and attach to e-mail worked fine in jaguar. But I’ve had a bunch of people try this, and they are having trouble at the rate of about 5 people with problems to 2 okay if they use apple mail in panther.
B
BobHill
Nov 17, 2003
Barbara,

It may well be due to the specific email option being used. The email direct option of Elements on a PC pretty much depends upon the use of Outlook or Outlook Express. Could this be the situation on a MAC? (not being Outlook, but something more common to the MAC)?

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 17, 2003
No. It has worked fine with apple mail, which is the mac system mail (there is no OE for mac os x) in every version of X till panther.
B
BobHill
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks, Barbara

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 17, 2003
Thank you, Bob. If you could pass that along–I doubt they’ll bother about it for PE2, but it’s probably something that the engineers for PE 3 should be looking at.
B
BobHill
Nov 17, 2003
I shall, Barbara, but you can too, you know, by noting this into Feature Requests and <http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html> for Adobe REPORT A BUG.

Bob
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 17, 2003
Thanks, Bob. Will do.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections