Whats the difference between trim, live and bleed?

KS
Posted By
Kate_Schimpf
Nov 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whats the difference between trim, live and bleed? and how do i set each one? HELP!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 12, 2003
I am afraid your terminology doesn’t relate to anything for me as far as Photoshop Elements is concerned. Could you please clarify your question for us?
KS
Kate_Schimpf
Nov 12, 2003
I have specs from a company to do a page layout with a 22 inch bleed, 21 inch trim and 20 inch live area….but i dont know what that means, or how to set up those measurements.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 12, 2003
I think those specs might be something found in full Photoshop. Are you sure you’re on the right forum? Elements normally isn’t used for things to be published commercially.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 12, 2003
Wow! I am not in the page layout business, so I cannot help you much on this question. My guess would be as far as the "live" terminology is concerned is that it would be the essential content that must be printed. However, I’m not that all familiar with any of the terminology. Hopefully by generating some activity on this thread we will find someone who will be able to help you.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 12, 2003
The following is a quote from the Photoshop 7.0 help file. Apparently, in full Photoshop, you are able to print crop marks and other markings that are essential in the printing industry. However, I don’t believe these kinds of features are available in Photoshop Elements. I may be wrong, but I believe that Elements has been geared primarily toward digital photographers. It will probably be necessary for you to get additional help from a different forum.

Bleed
Lets you print crop marks inside rather than outside the image. Use this option when you want to trim the image within the graphic. Type a number and choose a unit value to specify the width of the bleed.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 12, 2003
Answered in your other post, Kate

Kate Schimpf "Whats the difference between trim, live and bleed? and how do i set each one? HELP!" 11/12/03 9:24am </cgi-bin/webx?14>
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 12, 2003
Honestly.. if you don’t know the terms though.. you shouldn’t be doing the layout. They are basic terms used everyday.
KS
Kate_Schimpf
Nov 12, 2003
thanks
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 12, 2003
Congratulations Scott,

Yours is the first offhand message I have read on this forum. We tend to support each other here and give help … eveyone has to learn sometime … sad that you don’t feel the same way.

Kate … if you need anymore help just ask.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Nov 12, 2003
wrote…
I have specs from a company to do a page layout with a 22 inch bleed, 21
inch trim and 20 inch live area….but i dont know what that means, or how to set up those measurements.

What the company will expect is a layout where:

– the canvas size is at least 22 inches.
– there are crop marks at 21 inches.
– the primary area for design is 20 inches.

What they are implying is that if your design requires it, any bleeds will extend past the crop (trim) marks.

Ed
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
3 cheers for Ed ! She’ll appreciate your response and i copy/pasted it just in case 😉
KS
Kate_Schimpf
Nov 12, 2003
thanks guys, problem solved!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections