Problem Accessing Help under Elements 2.0

Posted By
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I try accessing Help or the Tutorial, or do a search under Elements 2.0, I get a MS IE error like this — "Cannot find "\file:C:Program … Help1__6_2_0.html. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct".

Any advice would be appreciated. Adobe wants to charge my credit card $39 just in case their technicians determine this is not an installation error and hence does not qualify for their new "complimentary support".

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 10, 2003
What ISP are you using? If you’re on AOL, CompuServe, or the newest Yahoo one, they all use a version of Internet Explorer that has been created to non-standard specifications set by the them. If this pertains to you, go to the section of your Control Panel where you set internet options. Look for the "Web" options page and set the default browser to a plain vanilla version of IE. It should already by loaded as part of your Windows operating system. Changing this won’t effect your usual web activities, but it will allow you to access the HTML files for Help and Tutorials.

If this doesn’t help, please repost before calling Adobe.
Nov 10, 2003
Beth, thanks a bunch. You were right on target — I use AOL. For reference, I used the following sequence under XP Pro:
Start
Control Panel
Network & Internet Connections
Set up or change your Internet Connection
Internet Properties
Programs
Reset Web Settings.
KP
Ken_Pichon
Nov 19, 2003
Using Win98SE and PSE2, when I click on HELP or TUTORIALS, I get error message "NETSCAPE cannot find……." Any ideas on what is set wrong? Thanks in advance.
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 19, 2003
Ken,

Try this…

right click Start, choose Explore, navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Help. Choose any one of the help files but open it using IE. Create an icon for it in the Quick Launch area at bottom of screen. Now whenever you want the help file to open while working in PSE, just click your new icon. On every help page you can choose the Search or Contents option, so quick access to this one page will allow you to navigate the whole help file.

edit—let us know if this worked out for you
B
BobHill
Nov 20, 2003
Ken,

I don’t believe that Netscape is going to allow use of HTM(L) files in Elements. Has anyone had any luck with that? You can open them directly, of course in Netscape, but since the HTML files aren’t named logically, the ones you’d want would be hard to locate. Same would be true for other internet browsers such as Opera and Mosaic. You CAN, however use whatever internet browser you choose for going into the internet, just assign your HTML file association to full MSIE. That’ll work, including in AOL, which uses a modified version of MSIE.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 20, 2003
I don’t have any trouble using an old version of Netscape as my default browser on the Macs. I haven’t checked the newer versions of Netscape, but Mozilla works, and it’s based on Netscape. Except for the anomaly of access on Panther, almost any of the standard browsers should work, even though Adobe hasn’t tested on anything besides IE. I suspect the problem the poster is having is simply tied to paths, as Nancy suggests. If you get the right path, his Netscape should pull up Help, too.
B
BobHill
Nov 21, 2003
Thanks, Beth. Once again showing I know nothing about MACs<g>.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections