WS
Posted By
Wally_Sheffey
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using photoshop elements: I have many small photos, width 165 px, height about 224 px, with a drop shadow adding another 14 px in width and in height. If I crop the photo to eliminate the drop shadow, using the "resize canvas" command, the shadow-less photo takes up about 12 kb more disk space. How is it that the smaller photo takes up so much more disk space? It should take up less. How can I remedy this?

Thanks,

Wally

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KW
Kyle_White
Nov 10, 2003
Hi Walley,

I’m going to assume that you are talking about JPEG files, and that you are saving them as such from Photoshop Elements (PE).

One thing that PE does is add an icon to the original, which will take up extra space, as well as other metadata that is not actually part of the image.

In order to not save all this additional information, try the "Save for Web…" option. In the "Save for Web…" window you can select the JPEG quality and other options and can see what the resulting file size will be before you actually save the image.

HTH
Kyle
AV
Aart van Wijk
Nov 10, 2003
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:24:59 -0800,
wrote:

Using photoshop elements: I have many small photos, width 165 px, height about 224 px, with a drop shadow adding another 14 px in width and in height. If I crop the photo to eliminate the drop shadow, using the "resize canvas" command, the shadow-less photo takes up about 12 kb more disk space. How is it that the smaller photo takes up so much more disk space? It should take up less. How can I remedy this?

Thanks,

Wally
Might have somthing to do with the cluster size – you might see this like putting small things in big compatments on your HD. You cannot put more items in each compartment.

Aart
WS
Wally_Sheffey
Nov 11, 2003
Dear Kyle,

Thanks a lot. I’ll look into it.

Wally
WS
Wally_Sheffey
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks a lot. It is just what I needed.

Wally
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 11, 2003
Goodo!

K

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections