DB
Posted By
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am considering a new larger monitor,perhaps ViewSonic 17" or 19". I am using old 15" ViewSonic. Any advice is welcome regarding product or size.

I don’t even know if larger size actually will give me more workspace…not having any experience using a larger screen???? It is because of PSE2 that I think a larger screen could be a plus. Currently using PC-98 second edition…and will replace this computer next Spring if it lasts that long! Do Brinkmann

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Nov 10, 2003
I like ViewSonics. That’s what we used at a former employer. We did printed circuit board design. But there is another factor that can/will make a difference – your graphics card. Think of it like having a lovely photograph but a crappy printer.

I use a 19" monitor and I’d never go smaller. I have workspace coming out of my ears (or would that be eyes?)! I love it. I can view entire word documents and I can still read them. I can enlarge a picture for editing and still be able to see enough around it to make sure it looks right.

Do yourself a favor – look at a good graphics card, plenty of memory and as large a monitor as you can afford, even if you have to buy a new desk.

wrote in message
I am considering a new larger monitor,perhaps ViewSonic 17" or 19". I am
using old 15" ViewSonic. Any advice is welcome regarding product or size.
I don’t even know if larger size actually will give me more
workspace…not having any experience using a larger screen???? It is because of PSE2 that I think a larger screen could be a plus. Currently using PC-98 second edition…and will replace this computer next Spring if it lasts that long! Do Brinkmann
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 10, 2003
Hi Do,

I’m with JoAnn on the 19 incher, if it’s in the budget.

What is going to give you extra real estate, though, is the resolution that you can run the monitor at, and the resulting refresh rate.

Both of these, resolution and refresh rate, are going to be the result of your video card working in tandem with the monitor. Generally you don’t want the refresh rate to fall below about 75Hz (75 times per second) regardless of the resolution. If it gets down around 60Hz, you’re going to see flicker and it can get hard on the eyes very quickly. Many cheaper monitors in the 17" and 19" will run at high resolutions (17" at 1280 x 1024 pixels or 19" at 1600 x 1200) only at a low refresh rate, so you’d want to run them at 1024 x 760 and 1280 x 1024 respectively to try and get the refresh rate up to 75Hz to 85Hz. Also, the video card is going to need more memory in order to manipulate all these pixels so I’d go with a minimum 32MByte card, and preferably a 64MByte or 128MByte card.

I’ve got a NEC 95F, 19" flat CRT and a 64MByte video card and get 1600 x 1200 pixels at 75Hz refresh. Lots of real estate!

HTH
Kyle
R
Ray
Nov 10, 2003
I’m currently at my fourth ViewSonic monitor, so you can’t go wrong with them Dorothy 🙂 Lately I’ve switched from CRT to LCD and I stayed with ViewSonic. Make sure to check the available space on your desk for a 19" monitor. Those beauties are big, very big.

Ray
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 10, 2003
Thank you JoAnn, Kyle and Ray for your answers. Another question… When you have a bigger monitor do you need more ram? You can tell I’m a real whiz at computers!!!
R
Ray
Nov 10, 2003
Dorothy,

It’s been pointed out by someone in this thread that you should check your video display adapter (video card) for compatibility. You need to make sure your card can refresh fast enough at, say 1280 x 1024. That is, if you choose to set your current desktop at a different resolution. If you like what you currently see, then no need to change (things will only be bigger at 19" than they are
now). If, however, you want more space to work (I suppose you do), then you’re going to change the resolution to something higher.

This is when you’ll need to check your video card. Some card will not refresh the screen at the same rate at all resolutions. Some will do 100Hz at 1024 x 768, but will do 70Hz at 1280×1024. Someone suggested 75Hz, but some people, like me, have eyes sensible to flickering (the scanning of lines in the monitor to construct the image) and at this rate, I get a lot of eye incomfort and fatigue. I prefer 85Hz or 100Hz when possible. My computer at work runs at 100Hz and since then, my eye fatigue has been lowered a great deal.

So, it’s not as much a question of RAM, but a question of video card. If you have it, read the manual of your card or computer, and check out what’s the highest resolution it supports, and at what refresh rate it will do it. If it’s 70Hz or lower, it will be time to change the video card. ATI makes good ones, so does NVidia or Matrox. I currently have an ATI Radeon 7500 and I’m really satisfied with it. It allows me to play games and work on regular stuff with no slowdown.

Ray
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 10, 2003
Hi again,

In response to your last question: Do you need more RAM?

You don’t need more system RAM to support the higher resolutions, but it may be a limitation of your video card if it doesn’t have much memory on it. (Two different types of RAM involved in this – system and video.)

But, like closets and garages, you probably always want more system RAM and hard drive space!!! 😉

And Ray has the sense of it. I run my 19" at home at 1600×1200/75Hz and don’t have any problems, on an older system, (3 or 4 years) with a 19" monitor, at work I run it at 1280×1024/85Hz because even at 75Hz, with the ambient lighting conditions, the flicker was noticable.

Kyle
LK
Leen_Koper
Nov 10, 2003
Ray, look at it from the bright side. As soon as you notice the flickering fatigues your eyes it is time for a coffee break to prevent RSI.

Leen
R
Ray
Nov 10, 2003
Leen,

You’re right. 5 minutes every hour. But since my functions have changed, at work, I may now just turn and do some analysis stuff instead of actually taking a break. (My boss just loves this!)

Ray
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 11, 2003
I have a Viewsonic 19" A90f+. It runs great with my Mac Powerbook 12" G4. The support for the monitor was built-in. I did not need the supplied CD ROM. YMMV. It is listed as a Consumer Reports top choice. I got it at Best Buy for around $230. Get the in-store warranty, though. I had to send the first one back because it developed focus problems. Viewsonic replaced it without cost, but I had to be without it for a couple of weeks while it was being shipped.

Steve
R
Ray
Nov 11, 2003
Does YMMV means "Your Milleage May Vary" ?
Sorry to ask, my language isn’t English… thanks!
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 11, 2003
Hi Ray,

Yup, YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary

Kyle
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks again to Kyle and Ray…I have printed the info you sent me and will see if I can digest it! Also thanks for reminder about size of the 19", Ray.

Also Steve I am glad to hear from you…and that is the model I am considering…A90f+. glad to hear you are doing well with yours. The replacement was great, but disgusting too when you had to do without monitor for that long. Do
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 12, 2003
Ray,

Yeah..sorry. Internet shorthand…

Do: The A90f+ is huge sitting an arm’s length away. I am using it at Viewsonic’s recommended setting of 1280 x 960 @ 75 Hz. I’m really glad I got a bigger monitor for use at home. The 12" lcd is fine for traveling and toting to work.

Steve
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 12, 2003
I have a 4 year old ViewSonic 17 inch monitor, and it has been the best monitor I have ever had. I keep thinking that I would like to go up to a larger one, or a LCD. Just haven’t done it yet, nor have I gotten a new Mac…
But if you were to get a new one, GO ViewSonic. (And Mac). I have had very good luck with these quality products, and even tho I *want* new stuff, I don’t need it yet.

Can’t say that out loud as Christmas isn’t that far away,,,,,,, Jane
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 14, 2003
I also have a ViewSonic A90f+. They didn’t have a Sony 19" in and said this would be even better. Seems Sony has taken a back seat in my photo world. I don’t think any larger monitor would be necessary but this 19 is a lot better than my 17".
Marty
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 15, 2003
Hi Marty and Jane…thanks for the encouragement on getting the 19" ViewSonic as you both described. I will probably order from Office Depot next week…will be delivered to my door by Office Depot and I hope by tipping the guy amply he will bring it down to where my computer is! Understand it is a 50# or so monitor! More than I can handle anyway.

A Microsoft representative is directing the meeting of a somewhat local computer users group next week…interested to see what he has to say about XP second edition if there is such a thing coming up soon. I am still 98 sec. ed. and need to get a new computer. Someone told me to wait until March or April to get if it comes out at end of this year…let them get the bugs somewhat cleared up. Anyone have an opinion on this????? Do
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Nov 15, 2003
One of our 19" monitors (Keith’s) weighs closer to 60 pounds. Since my husband has a bad back, I bribed a co-worker to get him to take Keith’s out of the box and position it on the desk. AND to take my 19" monitor off of that same desk (in the basement) and put it on my desk (on the second floor). All that for a plate of roast beef, potatoes, and carrots. He thinks he got the better deal. 🙂

wrote in message
Hi Marty and Jane…thanks for the encouragement on getting the 19"
ViewSonic as you both described. I will probably order from Office Depot next week…will be delivered to my door by Office Depot and I hope by tipping the guy amply he will bring it down to where my computer is! Understand it is a 50# or so monitor! More than I can handle anyway.
A Microsoft representative is directing the meeting of a somewhat local
computer users group next week…interested to see what he has to say about XP second edition if there is such a thing coming up soon. I am still 98 sec. ed. and need to get a new computer. Someone told me to wait until March or April to get if it comes out at end of this year…let them get the bugs somewhat cleared up. Anyone have an opinion on this????? Do
R
Ray
Nov 15, 2003
Dorothy,

Windows XP will be around for at least another year, if not more. Next version is expected only in 2005, last time I checked.

Ray
R
Ray
Nov 15, 2003
JoAnn,

I’m positive he got a better deal !!!!! What’s 60lbs of plastic, metal and electronics compared to a delicately cooked, tender and juicy plate of beef and potatoes.. !!!! 🙂

Ray
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 15, 2003
I am in a similar situation with the new Mac OS X. It is supposed to be great and new, but I still use the old one OS 9.2.2 and have no problems. It is the end of the original OS, and there are no really no bugs at all they are all solved. Every software I use or want to use is completely compatible. Except that I can’t have Adobe Photo Album or its competitor, Mac iPhoto. But do I need them?, I think I do, but no, I really don’t.

But everywhere you look, the new Mac OS X is being raved about(UNIX), and it really is nice from what I have seen.
I would love to have something new and shiny like this, and one of the new Macs on the market, but would I really need it??????
This system I have does all I need. And the subject of this thread, the new monitors, yes we can get a new large 19" or more, and even hook up 2 monitors, (not only mirror but extended) with this older system.
My husband has been telling me to go out and buy a new Mac with OS X and all the goodies, but will my software, my printer, my scanner, my CD burner, my neat little software goodies that do fun things, and all my other stuff + utilities work,,,,I don’t know, so I stick with this system. From what I have read, I would have to purchase lots of new periferals, and software, to do what this system does now.
So I wouldn’t upgrade until I knew that everything would work like it does on the old system. I will make my husband read this, because he wants Santa to bring me a shiny new Mac with Panther. But I am going to wait until I really need it, like next year.
Boy, aren’t I just the Holiday basher, but I would rather spend the $ on stuff for the grandkids. And another monitor,
Jane
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 15, 2003
Hi Ray…I will stay tuned in to you! I had just heard rumor (I guess) that end of year would probably bring a new version of whatever the latest is! I am running out of gigabytes on my Cdrive and can’t put any more RAM on this computer I have.

I am constantly having to do the "surface scan" (the one that is on a tourquoise colored page & lasts well over an hour) on my computer. Nothing ever shows anything wrong with my C Drive. Ins. Co. encouraging me to let them direct me thru clearing off the C Drive and reloading Windows and everything I can save! They say my computer will be like new???? (it is actually 3 years old) They feel certain I have a software problem with Hewlett Packard.

You can tell how little I know by how I am stating this. Anyway If I am going to have to transfer all info to this computer again I might as well be doing it on a newer one…have plenty of drive space and more than 512 RAM if I want it?? Thanks for info. Ray.

JoAnn…Since I am not too hot a cook, $$$ will have to talk to get my new monitor down here…lower level can be accessed on ground level. Get the children’s old big red wagon out and let him pull it around the house maybe…I surely could balance it if needed! Might be better than him carrying down stairs. Thanks for starting me thinking more about how to solve the problem! Do
R
Ray
Nov 15, 2003
Dorothy,

Perhaps Microsoft has changed the release date of Longhorn (code name for the successor of current Windows XP).

Reloading everything, as you put it, would be a good thing. But if you can afford a new computer, you’d be on different grounds, sort of. Today, a 3 years old computer is pretty slow compared to what’s on the market currently. If you can afford it, I’d say buy a new computer, and transfer the data on the new one. Keep in mind that some hardware you have at home may not be compatible with the new computer (things like scanners, printers, etc.) Draw up a list of things connected to the computer, and bring it with you when you go to the store. Show it up to the merchant and ask him / her what will / will not work. If he/she says all will not work, get a second opinion (someone may try to take advantage of you and sell you stuff you don’t actually need).

As for RAM, the more the better, but up to 2GB, else I believe PSE might have problems. I know Photoshop has (seen this on a recent thread on the Photoshop forum). I have 1.25 Gb of RAM and the maximum I have loaded it was at 900MB (doing 3D designs).

Also, think of getting a DVD burner, or at least a CD burner. This will help you store precious things outside the computer for backup or archival purposes. This will free space on your hard drive as well. I have a DVD burner and put everything I do on DVDs nowadays. It saves lot of space
because a DVD can hold like 6 or 7 times what a single CD can.

Ray
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Nov 15, 2003
I don’t cook that well either but Keith does! Money talks but food is an international currency when Keith cooks. Our lower level is also accessed from outside but Keith had already slid the monitor box down the steps (slowly) before I got home from work. The problem comes in trying to slide a box UP four half-flights of steps. That’s where Pat came in. And Pat is a big guy! He just picked the monitor up off of the floor and asked "Where do you want this?"

I was impressed!

wrote in message
JoAnn…Since I am not too hot a cook, $$$ will have to talk to get my new
monitor down here…lower level can be accessed on ground level. Get the children’s old big red wagon out and let him pull it around the house maybe…I surely could balance it if needed! Might be better than him carrying down stairs. Thanks for starting me thinking more about how to solve the problem! Do
RG
Rich_Gosselin
Jan 2, 2004
I’m surprised no one in this "older" thread mentioned the difference between a dot matrix & slot mask monitor. I have a 19" Viewsonic slotmask, a P95, and two Samsung dox matrix monitors, both pro monitors as well. As you learned some months ago, ymmv, but I’m hooked on the additional light output of the slotmask as opposed to the dot matrix masking. Most monitors are dot matrix…

Some folks complain about the little line at the top & bottom third being distracting (they hold the "slot" material together), but I ignore it visually.

Rich

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections