BB
Posted By
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anyone tried this scanner? I saw it today and was wondering how well it would work. Sure was cool looking, but I wonder if photos would really stay where you put them, aside from light issues.

HP link is here < http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/15179-64195-21 5155-15202-f25-303640-303642-303643.html> for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PD
Pete_D
Nov 8, 2003
Wow. Sure would pick up some desktop space with it. Odd that they do not picture the film and slide adaptors. But interesting. Thanks Barbara.

Pete
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 8, 2003
Pete, if you click on "take a tour" you can see them.
R
Ray
Nov 8, 2003
Have you considered this one :
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/ho/WF06b/15179-64195-21 5155-15202-f25-303634-303636-303637.html
Better resolution and an adapter to scan pictures. Slightly higher price, but not much.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 8, 2003
Oh, but Ray, it’s so, soย…banal. <g>

Actually, I’d been thinking about a microtek, but I saw this one in the store today and wondered if it actually works.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 8, 2003
OK, will someone please explain the difference between the 2400X2400 and the 2400X4800? When a person is scanning a photo or slide, where does the difference show up? I always figured, in this case, 2400 was the max optical resolution.
R
Ray
Nov 8, 2003
I’m the practical guy… I saw it last week at Office Depot and kept wondering… "How do they think
people are gonna scan books with that ???"
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 8, 2003
Ray, evidently you can take it apart and lay it flat on the page. At least that’s what they showed in the "tour" on the web page.
R
Ray
Nov 8, 2003
I didn’t take the tour. I wasn’t really impressed by this unit. Too cute sometimes equals too fragile. I’ve recently had a few technological things gone down on me (Palm refuses to fire up, MP3
player skip a song, etc.) Nice stuff, but not very sturdy… ๐Ÿ˜‰
PD
Pete_D
Nov 8, 2003
Pete, if you click on "take a tour" you can see them.

I went back for the tour and that is very interesting Barbara. One minor drawback I can see is the 11 1/2" limitation. I don’t normally scan 14", but sometimes.

However the ability to lay the scanner on the work being scanned if need be is a real plus. (no more fighting to position a large item and try to close the lid ๐Ÿ™‚

Pete
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 8, 2003
Pete, have you found any reasonably priced scanners that will do 14"? I have an old UMAX Astra 1200S that I’ve been clinging to because it’s oversized. I haven’t found another large bed scanner that wasn’t in the "pro" category and way too expensive for my budget. If you’ve spotted anything, I’d like to know.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 8, 2003
Barbara,

I have the HP 4570 and it is fabulous.

You can go to Epinions.Com or Shopping.Com and check if they have any reviews on the one you’re asking about.

Lorace
Dec 23, 2003
Got it. After some days I wouldn’t miss it any more. It scans properly as it should, but it does more than any other scanner.
You can take the front off -the actual scanner- and put it on top of anything you want to scan, thick books, your own belly, large maps, name it. The fun is that you can see what you do.
You can turn it upside down and scan things on top of it. It feels sturdy, not flimsy at all.
Unfortunately the software is more complex but it does exactly the same as the 5370C. The slide adapter is a solid tool, it is easy to clean it from dust and it holds the film firmly. I miss the big area of the transparency adapter of my previous HP 5370C, but I gained a lot of desk space!
BB
brent_bertram
Dec 23, 2003
"will someone please explain the difference between the 2400X2400 and the 2400X4800? When a person is scanning a photo or slide, where does the difference show up? I always figured, in this case, 2400 was the max optical resolution. "

You’re right , Beth, the first number quoted is the optical resolution. <G>

On the subject of a nice , legal sized scanner like our 1200s, I just never see them ! ๐Ÿ™

This link is about a not-so-new Microtek, though. <http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,14846,00.asp>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections