Dropping Slices from Imageready to Dreamweaver.

S
Posted By
S1artibartfast
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everyone.

I can’t seem to figure out how to take my entire [sliced] page in Imageready, and transport it to Dreamweaver. It seems I have to build tables in DW to match all the slices I created in IR–but that seems very inefficient.

Isn’t there a way to take the entire [sliced] page in IR, and drop it into DW?

If it has a few steps to the process, please, I ask that you list them. I am by no means a graphic beginner–I just can’t seem to find the (should be) short cut to building in IR, and pasting in DW.

Thank you for your time.

Michael
www.pentaworks.org

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 1, 2005
Personaly I would do all you want in DW, and just use PS for the base graphics.
S
S1artibartfast
Jun 1, 2005
Yes, but I design so much better in PS/IR. I prefer to set up and design, then slice the page accordingly. If I could take the entire page I designed and drop it in to DW, it would be easier then to take the slices and link from there. Plus, creating rollovers and such directly in IR is very easy.

Perhaps I can build the shape and design of the page in DW, and then build the graphics to match the cell dimensions…
JH
Jake_Hannam
Jun 1, 2005
Michael,

Try OPENing the ImageReady file in DreamWeaver rather than copying and pasting it. This works with FrontPage and may very well work with DreamWeaver.

Also, be aware that ImageReady puts slices (by default) in a subdirectory named Images so you need to make sure your HTML code is referencing that subdirectory. Otherwise, you will have blanks.

Jake
S
sammybee
Jun 1, 2005
Michael-

There’s a book that I just came across: Photoshop and Dreamweaver Integration by Colin Smith.

Here’s the link:
< http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0072255889/qid =1117637888/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-7023844-4455220?v=glance &s=books&n=507846>
CP
Chris_Perkins
Jun 1, 2005
And, you should probably check out SiteGrinder[*] too. It’s a plug-in that acts as an ImageReady replacement. The HTML is more modern, there is no slicing, and it has some nice features like direct conversion of Photoshop styled text to HTML/CSS, auto-linking, multi-page output, and more.

<http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder>

Chris Perkins
Media Lab, Inc
[*] – I helped write SiteGrinder
L
LenHewitt
Jun 1, 2005
Just save images and HTML from IR and open the HTML page in DW
S
S1artibartfast
Jun 2, 2005
LenHewitt–this was the method I finally came across yesterday. It’s quite easy. Although, when I create multiple pages and save, it asks if I want to replace certain images (a long list from the sliced page). If I chose "replace", I will find that I have over written older pages (even if I have re-named the .html page.

I tried to create a new folder for each page, but then DW doesn’t reference the folder, and I have broken image links. I’m pretty sure I can only link one site root to the "image" folder.

So then I went another route–I decided to create a new page in DW, and copy paste the older pages as a template…then I would re-create the slice in PS and IR, and open the individual slices in the new DW page. This works in most cases, although I am losing some triple rollover effects (some of my buttons don’t work now).

It’s really rather difficult to explain in type without mumbling on like a madman.

Should I create an "image" folder for each page? Is this possible? Can I get my DW site to recognize this, and link to the images in multiple folders? If I could do this, then I could safely keep all of my IR effects and html when I "save optimized" to DW…

Thanks everyone.

Here is the basic site I’m creating–under major construction.

www.broadwaypiano.com
L
LenHewitt
Jun 2, 2005
All you need to do is to ensure that the slices are named with unique names in IR which you can do from the output settings folder. You can then move all the images into a single /images directory
B
blonic
Jun 2, 2005
Easy man…

When saving select from the dropdown

SAVE HTML AND IMAGES, save them into your folder, go to Dreamweaver and open the HTML file, since both programs work with relative paths they will recognize the location for your images.

There is something I use to do, DW have a html clean up listen in the menu, this will remove the no necessary lines of code added by Image Ready.

Regards 😉

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections