JF
Posted By
Jodi_Frye
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working on creating more styles and I need your thoughts. What sort of frames would you prefer ? Would you like the matt included in the frame styles or seperate matt styles ? would you like soft shadows or more pronounced shadows or none at all ? Would you prefer patterned styles or basic wood styles or metal or all types ? Should I have seperate categories for frame types or just mix them up ? Your voice will be my primary path. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 4, 2003
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:04:12 -0800, wrote:

I’m working on creating more styles and I need your thoughts. What sort of frames would you prefer ?

Jodi,

I’d like to see some matt styles that would be separate but could be combined with frames. Otherwise, I’d just say, have at it, we’ll all obviusly benefit.

Dick
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 4, 2003
Jodi,
i would like to see the matte included with the frame style. as for the frame type, i like all differant types, wood, patterns, metal etc. seperate categories would be nice but for me anyway, that isn’t really nessacary
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 4, 2003
Hi Jodi,

I find it much easier if there are separate categories for frame styles … so that they are easier to find. As I love natural things wood is my main choice … but rich polished woods are the ones I like best.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 4, 2003
I would like to see separate mattes. I would like to be able to use them on my printed pictures…and then put them in a REAL frame. 🙂

Patti
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 4, 2003
Jodi, I’d like separate mattes and frames, too. I haven’t had good luck with the ones that are "packaged"! Besides, I’ve always like the "mix and match" thing. 🙂 Glad to see you’re at it again!
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 4, 2003
Jodi,

Firstly — Thanks!!

I would prefer to have separate frames/mattes, so that they can be stacked in any combination.

Would the shadows be editable? If so, I’d say just put in a "medium" shadow and then let us tweak it on our own.

I like all types of frames.

I’m also a fan of categories… I also like to have an "all" category, when I can’t make up my mind which category I’m after.

Byron
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 5, 2003
Jodi,

That’s great news! I’ll look forward to your frame style collection.

Categories and separate mattes sound good to me.

Nancy
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Nov 5, 2003
Jodi,
Look forward to additional frames and matts. Would prefer separate ones – may want to add adjustment layer, especially to matt.
Ken
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 5, 2003
thank you all for your comments. The consensus appears to be seperate matt styles with seperate categories for frame styles. Will do the best i can to please. Thanks again.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 5, 2003
No, no, Jodi – thank YOU!! 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 5, 2003
OK, after much trial and error I’m afraid I cannot make the mat styles as ‘seperate’ styles. They will have to be in the same option with the frame styles. However, I will put them at the bottom of the list which should make them easier to find and use. Sorry ;(
I
imacgirl
Nov 5, 2003
There are also some Actions for creating mattes in PSE 2 by Bud Guinn that are included in this free download found here <http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff2.html> from Ling’s Things , these appear under Bud’s Action Central, in my ‘How to’ palette, as I have the Richard Lynch Hidden Power III as my Welcome Screen…I’m big into these add-ons! :-). They can be adjusted as the Action runs or the color of the matte can be changed afterwards by double clicking on the Hue/Sat adjustment layer.

Barb
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 5, 2003
I had Bud’s frames as well as other add-ons from Ling’s Things on the How To palette, but when I installed Hidden Elements from the book CD I lost them. Anyone know how I can get them back?

Patti
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 5, 2003
Patti,

Have you tried re-executing snapActions.exe? On my Win98SE installation it is located in
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2\HTMLPalettes\Recipes

Byron
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 5, 2003
Yes, I tried that first, Byron. And all of Ling’s files are in their place in the Photoshop Elements\HTMLPalettes\Recipes folder. Funny thing is, the new files from the CD are not under HTMLPalettes, they’re in the Photoshop Elements 2\Recipes folder.

I think what I’m going to have to do in uninstall the Ling files, which will be a pain, and reinstall them from scratch. I’ll hold off and see if anyone else has a solution this evening. I should also go check the forum for Hidden Elements.

I was just using those frames yesterday, so I know they were there and working fine. I just got Richard’s book today and installed the Hidden Elements 2 files.

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 8, 2003
I have a couple of sets of frame styles ready. the wood ones are not available yet but have metallics and basic painted/contemporary type. If you’re interested drop me a line. I’ll be very busy this weekend but will try to keep up with my mail and check on it when I can. Please be patient with me 😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
I’m sorry but i cannot share my wood frame styles. I had forgotten that creating styles using patterns makes for monstrous file sizes( I have dial up and one single wooden frame style is 1mb ! )and so all i have available at the moment are metallics and painted/contemporary type frames. Please forgive me ;(
I do have plenty of other layer styles as well so feel free to drop me a line for a request and I’ll let you know what I have or what i can do. ’03-’04…winter indoor sports for Jodi ! ….again, i am sorry
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 12, 2003
And they’re great, folks! I got to test drive them late last week, to make sure they’d work on a Mac and PSE 2. Fun! She outdid herself, as usual.
R
Ray
Nov 12, 2003
Jodi,

Try to zip them and let me know how big they are. I could deposit one file at a time, for a week say, on my private web site. You’d have only one sending to do (to me) and people could download it
from my site directly (no webpage, only the a direct link like pages.infinit.net/carbone/jodi_wood_frame.zip).

I can even make the *.sit file for Mac users.

Let me know what you think,

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 12, 2003
Ray, sounds like a great plan!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
Ray, sounds like a plan ! I’ll send them to you as soon as I can…THANKS !
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 12, 2003
Yeh, Ray, thanks!!!
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 12, 2003
This thing reminds me of how a very dynamic and helpfull little community we are! Glad to be part of it 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 12, 2003
Oh I can’t wait to see them …. Mac version sounds fantastic 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

I think that this is one of the nicest forums around, people are so friendly and helpful … I just love it here and I am so glad that I found you all.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 12, 2003
Hi Jodi and all, This would be awesome for me and my Mac! Try as I might, I cannot get the Hidden Powers to work, even tho I finally got them inside my computer, so I gave up on them. (That is another Mac sad story, they work fine on PCs.)

I will love to learn how to use your frames or anything that you have made. Thanks, Ray for offering to make the Mac downloads. I know I am a bit beyond my ability trying to use these great new tools, but I sure will try!
This stuff is new to me, but it sure looks great!
Jane
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 12, 2003
Wendy,

You have a great attitude, I’m sure you’re one of those delightfully appreciative people. I’m glad you’re here also.

Ray,

Nice offer! Thanks, you’re a sweetie!

Jodi,

I look forward to your creations, I have always been an admirer of yours. Sounds like good teamwork, designs by Jodi and implementation by Ray.

Nancy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
I sent Ray the styles today and he agreed that the wood frame set was way large as far as mb’s so he’s figuring out a plan to seperate them a bit. I also told him it was no rush and that I truly appreciated his help in this. I also gave him the metallic frame styles and the other type neat frames which both have the mats included ( seperately ). The mat styles are actually ‘inner glows’ that can be adjusted with the cursive ‘ f ‘ option on that layer….was not able to add a shadow to an inner glow but I’ll give you a quick tip on how to make the mat look realistic with a beveled edge look and slight shadow;>on a new layer just above the frame layer make a rectangular marquee selection around the edge of the inside of the mat>stroke>3 to 6 pixels ( depends on your image resolution )center>black>multiply 55%…then deselect the stroke layer and use the gaussian blur on it at a low setting…very cool and real looking ! The frames can be made larger or smaller by using the ‘scale effects’ option in the toolbar under ‘layer’>layer style>scale effects. Anyways, hope you like them. The wood frames were tricky since i had to use ’tile’ on the patterns so that the edges wouldn’t show….they aren’t your typical conventional wood frames…a wee bit weird ( some )so don’t expect glamour with them ;).
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
Thanks Nancy, been meaning to mail you for days but I keep getting side-tracked…hope all is working out well for you…you know what i mean 😉
R
Ray
Nov 13, 2003
People, here’s the deal :

I’ve seperated the layers styles in two groups (they are 5MB compressed, 8MB uncompressed). Group one will be up untill Sunday. Group two will be up Sunday morning (or when I woke up, depending on the activities on the preceeding evening..!)

Point your browser to this address : http://pages.infinit.net/carbone/jodi/jodi.htm

When I said I would make the thing available for Mac as well, I meant the compression. I don’t know
if PC created layer styles will work on a Mac.. You’ll let us know if you have problems, I still have a few tricks up my sleeve.

The PC layer style compressed file was created using winzip (an evaluation version may be downloaded
here : http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm)
The Mac layer style compressed archive was created using Aladin Stuffit (free decompressing utility can be downloaded here :
http://www.stuffit.com/cgi-bin/stuffit/stuffit_loginpage.cgi ?standardmacexp)

Write to me if you require assistance or if the download doesn’t work. My ISP isn’t really geared for commercial and heavy traffic, so you might encounter slowdowns at times. But, I have high speed
internet access, and I am ready to e-mail those of you whose ISPs can support 2MB or more files attached to e-mail.

Jodi’s optional metallic layer style will be uploaded on Sunday as well.

My e-mail address :

Enjoy!

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 13, 2003
Ray, wow ! You are the man !!! Looks great ! THANK YOU !!!! <kisses> BTW Beth tested my metallic frame styles on her Mac and they worked fine so hopefully the wood ones will co-operate. You also don’t have to wait t’il Sunday for the metallics and contemporary frame styles…those aren’t big and I can mail them to you direct. Just click on my name up here for my e-mail address. Thank You Ray !
R
Ray
Nov 13, 2003
My pleasure, Jodi 🙂

I couldn’t post them all because I need to keep space for my needs (CorelDraw lessons… http://pages.infinit.net/carbone/cdr_lesson1.htm)

For the first who downloads them, please here and tell us if everything is ok. I’m a bit nervous, it’s the first time I do this kind of stuff. Thanks.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 13, 2003
Ray and Jodi: Downloaded in less than 10 seconds, unzipped in about 2 seconds, and applied successfully to a test image. Great job both of you!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 13, 2003
Yep, mac version works, too. Thanks!
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 13, 2003
Ray,

Everything works just fine … I am using Mac OSX 10.2.4 and no problems whatsoever.

Jodi … great frames … thank you so much for doing them.

Will play around with them more tomorrow but for now I must go to bed as its past 1 a.m.

Wendy
R
Ray
Nov 13, 2003
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!

And, more thanks to Jodi for sharing her work!!!
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 13, 2003
I have a slower computer, so it took me about 45 seconds to get them downloaded, unzipped, and installed. Thank you to both Jodi and Ray!!
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 13, 2003
Thank you Jodi and Ray, I have downloaded them, (Mac,) unzipped and installed and used one already. Wonderful. I think the gods of beginners have jinxed Hidden Power tools for me. But these of yours took me less than 10 minutes to actually have a picture done and framed!
You guys are the greatest! Ever think of doing a book?
Jane
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 13, 2003
Success!

Downloaded and installed hitchlessly… Thanks Jodi and Ray!!

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 13, 2003
Thanks for everyone …especially Ray !! 🙂 The wood ones aren’t so great but I’m happy with my other 2 frame sets…don’t forget to download those when Ray posts them or just mail me for them.

Glad I have made some happiness 🙂
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Nov 13, 2003
Jodi and Ray,
Downloaded and installed without a hitch. The frames are great. Thanks to both of you.
Ken
CM
Charles_Muhlbauer
Nov 13, 2003
OK, there always has to be one. I d/l Jodi’s styles and when I tried to use them, I got the message. "Could not load styles because file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.

I have PSE1 and Windows XP. Have d/l other things but this is first time this has happened.

Thanks, Charlie
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 13, 2003
Does anybody else running PSE1, have installed them successfully ? I think they might not be compatible with PSE1 since I believe they’re made in PS7.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 13, 2003
I still have PSE 1 on my laptop and checked it out. Yes, they do work nicely. You do have to have the background layer simplified before a frame will install. Did you do that?

Jodi uses PSE 1 and Photoshop 6.0, so it shouldn’t matter which she used to create them.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Nov 13, 2003
I have PE #1, Windows XP and it functions for me. I did work on the duplicate of my background layer, as is my custom.
Ken
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 13, 2003
they were created with PS6 and will work in PE1.

When first bringing in an image to PE it is called a ‘background’ layer. Frame styles will not work on this sort of layer. Double click on that layer and a pop up will appear asking you to name the layer then click OK. Now it is an editable layer and the styles should work.

Charles, I do not understand the message you are receiving though. This would happen if I created the styles using the new engine which I did not. Please keep me posted on this. It baffles me.
R
Ray
Nov 13, 2003
Charles,

Please let us know the specifics of your machine (free space on hard drive, memory, etc). Also, if you could post a printscreen of the error message, I’m really curious about this message.

Thanks,

Ray
CM
Charles_Muhlbauer
Nov 14, 2003
Ray, I have a Dell 4500 series, Pentium 4, 256 DDR SDRAM. 14GB used and 60GB free. I do not know how to attach a picture here so I put it on the web page I use for Eclectic Academy classes. It is at
<http://chasm30.tripod.com>. Look for a page called "Screen shot for Ray"

Charlie
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 14, 2003
I just played around again, and I noticed one thing about your screenshot that might be significant. In that screenshot with showing the error message, you have a transparent layer highlighted. I can’t account for the error message you’re getting, but have you tried applying the style with the background layer selected? When I tried to recreate what you had, I didn’t get an error message, but I couldn’t apply the style to a transparent layer either; I had to have the background layer selected.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 14, 2003
Let me hop in here and join Wendy and Jane in praising you people.

I truly know only one other forum that has so many helpful, friendly people – and that’s a compliment.

I just downloaded Jodi’s frames for my PC and it went without a hitch. Thanks, Raymond. How neat. I have Winzip and don’t know how anyone operates without it.

Jodi, I’m glad you mentioned the cursive F. Ha ha. I was searching for it last night and finally discovered it. I had thought it was a picture of the top of a screw – where you place the screwdriver. lol Oh, it’s fun learning.

Thanks, again to both of you,

Lorace
R
Ray
Nov 14, 2003
Just to make sure, you did uncompressed them, right ?

It’s as though the transfer got corrupted or that your computer can’t handle something all others can. You can’t load the layer style in Elements… Rename the layer for something shorter (like jodi001.asl). Or download them again, and make sure to remove the existing one before decompressing
the new download. Report back.

I had to load the style and break it in two groups, so they transited in PS7 for a short time… But then, all others running PSE1 would have had the same results (sorry guys, I’m thinking loud…).

Ok… do you have high speed internet access ? I could send you the complete style over e-mail, zipped as I have received it. Your ISP must accept 5mb attachements. Else, I could send them one a
time, uncompressed. Let me know. I might not be on-line tomorrow evening (beer with the guys) If it’s the case, I’ll be back on Saturday morning. With a headache 😉

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 14, 2003
is it possible a reset prefs would clear up the error ? Other than that maybe some marbles got left in the playground from the download as Ray suggested. If all else fails mail me and I’ll send you the wood frame styles direct and you can delete the ones you installed and start over.
CM
Charles_Muhlbauer
Nov 14, 2003
Beth,

I tried them on different photos and different layers. Same message.

Ray,

Uninstalled Jodi’s files and d/l them again and this time used WinZip but get the same message.

Jodi,

I deleted the preferences but that did not make a difference. When I get a chance, I will have Ray e-mail the files as he suggested.

Thanks to all for the help.

Charlie
R
Ray
Nov 14, 2003
Charlier, I e-mailed you the first of 10 layer styles Jodi created.

Ray

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections