M
Posted By
marklyon
Jun 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey! Can someone give me an idiots guide to using colour, or no colour or anything that will slve this problem: Colours are different in Photshop to Quark, i’v read pages on the internet and followed it to the letter but the colours are still different. Is there a dummies guide to setting up Photshop and Quark anywhere? Why don’t they teach you this in universitys?

Using Quark Express 6.
Photoshop CS.
Windows XP.
2 Gig RAM.
Radeon 9800 Graphics Card.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 1, 2005
Turn on High quality preview in Quark, the images are never going to look the same though, one package is for image control, and one is just for layout.
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 1, 2005
Switch to InDesign and you won’t have that problem. Quark’s previews simply aren’t all that good.

Bob
M
marklyon
Jun 1, 2005
Thanks very much! Both of you! This is the first time I’ve used a forum and its been great.

Additional: the main thing is. If I create a colour in Photoshop say Cyan100% Magenta50% Yellow25% Black 0% and save it as a TIFF and then drop it in to an image box in Quark with a background of Cyan100% Magenta50% Yellow25% Black 0% (Exactly the same)The colour difference is seriously different. I’ve tried turning colour management off in Photoshop and Quark and tried setting them to the same, from what I can gather. Either way they still stay the same. Once again thanks very much for any help anyone gives, this is my first job after a BA in Graphic Design and in only one week has been a major learning curve.

Once again! Thanks!
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 1, 2005
You just got out of school and they didn’t teach you InDesign?

Bob
BH
Bobby_Henderson
Jun 1, 2005
If he went to a good quality school more time may have been spent on the actual theories of page layout, graphic design, typography and visual communication rather than just teaching applications. This is, by far, the biggest shortcoming of many technical schools here in America teaching what they think is "design." It’s a lot more than just learning applications.
JJ
John Joslin
Jun 2, 2005
It’s a lot more than just learning applications.

Precisely. That is what is wrong with a lot of people using digital media — showing off technique takes priority over good design. This is especially noticeable in the use of video editing applications but pretty bad in image manipulation too.
M
marklyon
Jun 2, 2005
Hey guys! Guys! Guys!

I went to a good quality university. I prefer to use normal media than digtal anyay, if not both. I find the results are alot more creative and it reduces the risk of undos, hence you create more mistakes and can come to more greative solutions. I can render near perfect type by hand and work with traditional film as well as I can with Photoshop. I never got taught applications, i taught myself, I learnt at my university theories of page layout, graphic design, typography and visual communication, as well as the communicating and legal side of Graphic Design. If you’d like proof I’m more than willing to send samples. In the mean time can someone please help me with the question in hand?
BL
Bob Levine
Jun 2, 2005
You got your answer. You’re going to have one hell of a time trying to get imported photos to match the color in your Quark document.

Please give InDesign a try. You can download a fully funtional demo. The new CS2 release isn’t available yet but you can get a real good idea of what it’s capable of using CS.

If you do decide to try it, make sure that color management is set up identically in both PS and ID. You’ll be quite pleased.

Bob
P
prolens
Jun 2, 2005
Marklyon,
Try converting the image to cmyk mode in CS first then inport it to your Quark doc. They should be close. I’m not real familiar with Quark and it sounds from the others that have posted suggestions that Quark does not support ICC Profiles. If this is true you will never get them to look the same. InDesign may be your best move.

Here is a little test you can try. Save your image in CS as a jpeg then view it, place it, or insert it into any e-mail doc and view the colors. If your system meaning your video card has an icc profile say sRGB applied to it and CS is set to work in the same color space the image in the e-mail doc should look very close to what it does in CS if it doesn’t play with your color setting on the video card until it does. E-mail programs do not support icc profiles so if you can get an image in CS and the same image placed into an e-mail doc to look the same that same image will look very close in Quark. But try converting to cmyk in CS first then inport to Quark and see what you get before you start playing with color settings.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections