BB
Posted By
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My monitor failed last week, and I decided to splurge and buy an LCD flat screen (19 inch) as a replacement. The manufacturer is BenQ, a Taiwanese company. I realize LCD monitors are not recommended for Photoshop, but this is not my primary Photoshop machine. However, when I do run Photoshop (Elements) the colors are accurate and beautiful…most of the time. Occasionally, when I open an image file, the colors are completely wacko! And from then on, until I exit and restart PSE, the colors of all images are crazy. Restarting clears the problem…for awhile, and then it happens again. Nothing like this ever happened with the old CRT monitor, so it must be something related to the new monitor. Has anyone else esperienced anything like this?
My system is an old P3 running W98SE, 128 meg RAM.
Bert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JD
Juergen_D
Nov 4, 2003
Bert,

I don’t know if it will help, but you might want to try the ‘ignore EXIF Color Space utilities’:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=4 0&platform=Windows

Juergen
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 4, 2003
Did you update your video driver when you installed your new monitor? Knowing you, you probably did, but I didn’t think it would hurt to ask. I needed to think of something to try and help! 🙂 I’m sorry you’re having problems, Bert.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Nov 4, 2003
Bert,

Check your cables and connectors too. A bad connection can make a monitor fritz out like that.

Rich
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks to all of you for your quick response. I MAY have found the problem…the display Settings were set to "256 colors", instead of "High Color (16-bit)" or "True Color (24 bit)". I changed it to "True Color" and it reset the resolution to 1024 x 768. (was 1280 x 1024). So I tried "High color" and it leaves the resolution at 1280 x 1024, which is the native resolution for this monitor. Since I did that, I have not seen the problem.

Beth, I didn’t install a new driver because my computer guy told me I didn’t need to. There is a new driver on the CD that came with the monitor. I think I might try it. The monitor is a little unusual. You can physically rotate the face 90 degrees, and a software package is included called PivotPro which rotates the contents. It’s nice for word processing, as the screen is now shaped like a printed page. I’ve never seent that feature before, and I didn’t even know the monitor had that capability when I bought it.

Richard, that was the first thing I checked when it went wonky…all the connections. They seems solid. Thanks for the reminder.

At this point, I’m not sure if the problem has gone away or not…it was intermittent. So far so good…
Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Bert
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 5, 2003
Bert, I accidentally had my colors reset to 256 after a crash; that’s like looking at all GIF’s all the time!

I’m surprised you couldn’t have True Color and the 1280×1024 resolution, but maybe that’s a hardware limit of some sort. Also, does the 1280×1024 cause any distortion of the picture? It’s a different aspect ratio (1.25) than the ‘normal’ 1024×768 (1.33). Curious as to how that works…

Chuck
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 5, 2003
Chuck,
Yeah, I wondered about the aspect ratio change too. If it causes any distortion, I can’t see it. The True Color limitation may be the display controller, as you say. I think I’ll install the driver that came with the monitor and see if that makes any difference. This is a very old machine. Next year, it goes to my son and gets replaced…that’s what happens to all my old cars, cameras and computers.
Bert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections