A
Posted By
Asa
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ya know I am not new to to PS Mac or Windows, besides Linux, OS2 or running IBM 810. Even go back to the first RCA 32 position Hydraulic systems early 60’s. Now some or these systems don’t run Photoshop. I’m Old, retired and a little ticked off at this new version of PS8 and would like a real world answer to memory usage. Before you ask I run all the utilities every day, separate swaps on many disks, not partitions for all my computers. Unix is a new venture for me, so I’m not sure if this is a apple or adobe issue. I have a simple text on a path, file size 2.8 mb. When open it is 662.mb, click on the path with the text 1.2GB scratch, memory 1550GB 80% of 2GB assigned, well I have tried many settings, 50 to 90% with not a whole lot of change. If I highlight the text, well lets say I get my first nap of the day. Any ideas?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 20, 2004
Is there a question in all that?

File size and image size in memory are going to be different due to compression. And the scratch can be very large after launch if you have a lot of RAM installed (and 2 Gig qualifies as a lot here).

You could have some utilities slowing things down, you could have a hard disk problem, or you could have the OS swapfile growing slowly and painfully (set it to a fixed size of twice the installed RAM).
A
Asa
May 20, 2004
Is there a question in all that? <<

Come on Chris, this reminds me of another issue we went through with NT4.0 PS 4.0. In the good old days on Compuserve. I heard the same stuff when I reported the monster bug with PS4. I believe John C. and yourself said I did not know what I was talking about, well it appears I did that time. Well perhaps this is a like it or leave issue.

When you read the windows side of this you do not see these topics. Please don’t put the problem elsewhere. I use Macaroni, fontagent Pro, toast, quark 6.1. These issues were long before I installed FAP or Quark. I may be new to Unix but not new to computer maintenance, sorry I don’t see or have not found hardware issues. PS8 is the one and only application I see this issue.

Pooh I dread the thought of buying a window box just for one program. Well PS 7 still runs flawless in 9.2.2.

….Asa
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
Asa – no, you see the exact same questions and confusion on the Windows side.

So far it all gets tracked to some external cause.
A
Asa
May 21, 2004
Thanks Chris.

….Asa
E
elliottlemberger
May 21, 2004
Text editing to PS is sooooo slow. Feels like memory problem. What is up?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 21, 2004
elliott – as you found from reading the existing threads, it could be your video card or a conflicting utility (some buggy releases of certain font managers need to be updated).

There are a few known problems with editing text on a path – but there’s nothing we can do about those until the next major release.
GB
g_ballard
May 21, 2004
the next major release

Of what?
R
Ram
May 21, 2004
Photoshop 9, presumably.
DG
David_Graves
May 22, 2004
What is the maximum file size allowe din photoshop 7 or CS? I received a message today when saving that I can not save file – maximum 2 gig file size limit.

Any ideas, or suggestions? I am doing a billboard with numerous layers etc.
R
Ram
May 22, 2004
It’s really a double limit. In Photoshop 7.0.1 the maximum file size is 2GB or 30,000 pixels in any one direction (height or width).

In 8 (CS): 300,000 in any one direction. That means that in Photoshop 8, an 16 bit RGB image can be 502.9 Gig (that’s 502.9 GIGABYTES not MB) without layers. Hope you have a ton of storage space and a ton of RAM. 🙂

What you do with a huge file like that is a different matter. The OS limitations mean you can only print images up to 30,000 pixels long in any one direction from within Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 22, 2004
Also, check with your Billboard company: you will almost certainly find that you don’t need anything like the resolution which you think you do.

These specs. are from one of the biggest billboard companies in the Northeast: << High Res At least 9 ppi at actual size on the product.

Ultra High Res
Short View (Eg: Transit Shelters, Bus Benches, Banners, etc.) At least 36 ppi at actual size on the product.

Ultra High Res
Long View (Eg: Billboards, Snipes, etc.)
At least 9 ppi at actual size on the product.

DG
David_Graves
May 24, 2004
Thank you, I will work in CS. The size parameters have come from the banner company. We just have a lot of layers….
A
Asa
May 24, 2004
Well folks I could be off a little. yes I admit mistakes. After digging further I found (using the same text setup) Ram usage was well within limits…sorry Chris :–)) But what I did find was CPU!!!!!! max-ed out and still trying to use more. Why would it not make use of a 3.9 gig swap just sitting there and watching my expressions? Page22545/1. So, any thoughts Chris?

Ann I sent a 4’x2′ Banner to our local print house, before doing so I called like the good guy I am. 175 was min, if I wanted 300-600 would ok. Remember this is Fairbanks Alaska. Well I ask the normal questions us frozen folk ask… have you drank your thawing agent this spring. Well I still don’t know how much permafrost is loose in his mind.

….Asa
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 24, 2004
Asa:

The "Banners" that I was talking about are 48 FEET wide — not 48 inches!

The resolution needed depends on the expected viewing-distance (these guys are normally seen across a multi-lane highway while travelling at speed) hence the importance of talking to your vendor before creating your file.
A
Asa
May 24, 2004
A-MEN, Ann, amen.

From Business cards to Billboards, my business falls within.

….Asa

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections