JD
Posted By
Jane_Douglass
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any Mac people here know how to put an internet music station back into iTunes after it dissappears? No help from Apple, they ignore our questions, are they perhaps phasing this out?

There are a bunch of us who love the BLUES, and all the blues stations have gone-*poof*-out of iTunes.
So sad,,,,,,,,
Jane

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 4, 2003
Hi, Jane. Apple is aware of that and troubleshooting it now. Those stations also disappear if you click the categories immediately above and below them.
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 4, 2003
Alternative to the "stations" from Apple, check out

<http://www.shoutcast.com/>

They have a huge variety of music from around the world.

For some reason Mozilla 1.5 doesn’t like handing off to iTunes, but no problem with Safari. Once you’ve selected a stream, then it will be in your iTunes library and you don’t have to re-start from a browser.

Kyle
LM
Lou_M
Nov 4, 2003
Live365.com has a bunch of stations. There’s a neat one called CelticMelt, if you’re into that sort of thing. It plays through iTunes.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 4, 2003
Thank you!
Hi Kyle, Yes, Shoutcast(the best), was the one that had several of their blues stations included in iTunes ,
The best of the blues(no commercials) was this one from the Paradynamic Roadhouse, < http://yp.shoutcast.com/index.phtml?s=blues&st=gs&l= 100&bitrate=any&x=32&y=9>
It’s the 5th one down on the list(all are quite good).

I use Netscape or IE but I didn’t need them open to listen to iTunes, I would just click on Blues, ParaDynamic Roadhouse, and there it was loud and clear.
Since all the Blues stations have gone from iTunes, I have to start Netscape or IE, open the link above, and click on "Listen". Then RealPlayer opens, but I like iTunes much better.

You bring up the main question that we have, how would you get it (back) into your iTunes library? That is what we were trying to do with the G5 at the store, and it would not work. I have tried many ways, even to put the station URL into the Advanced part of iTunes.

Hi Barbara, That is strange that the stations would disappear if you clicked on the wrong one! Wow, I guess they do have a problem. At the local Apple store here today, his Blues had gone away too, the G5 with its new Panther, couldn’t even get them. If Apple is aware, then they might fix it and I wouldn’t have to ‘have the blues’ any more. I did e-mail them, but they are somewhat slack in communications with customers I guess.
iTunes is a great thing, and I would think that it would be in Apple’s best interest to have it running well.
I have had friends over and showed them iTunes, and they all say ‘Cool’ and ask if they can get it on their PCs. One youngster even thought it was so ‘cool’ that he was thinking of getting a Mac. So it indeed does benefit sales for people to see neat stuff like iTunes(and iMovie and so forth). I did notice that several other stations were missing too.

Thank you all with your suggestions, I hope we can find out what happened and how to fix the Blues, or have Apple fix it. Will keep on tryin,
Jane
PS
Forgot to mention that Jane Douglass is Jane Carter, thats my maiden name, and for some reason, when I sign in using IE, thats me.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 4, 2003
Jane, the disappearing blues is some kind of itunes problem, but unfortunately the disappearing other stations is something that’s been going on for a long time and nothing to do with apple.

Many internet radio stations (including most of my favorites) are going off the air and many more are becoming "premium" stations that are only available to paying members of live 365 and such.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 4, 2003
Thanks, Barbara, then there is hope, maybe Apple can fix it and get Blues back where they belong.

On our cable TV, we have a huge list of all kinds of music, but you have to be tuned to that section of stations. I am trying to see if there is a way to get this into the computer,,,,,,,
Just talked with their tech support people and they say that they are "thinking of doing some sort of music thing, similar to the stations included in the TV part, for the computer" He and I discussed having a part of their web site, where you could access this music. I was very pleased that it was being thought of.
There isnt a day goes by that I dont learn something new and neat here, and not only limited to PSE, but all sorts of other computer stuff.
Jane
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Nov 5, 2003
wrote:
Many internet radio stations (including most of my favorites) are going off the air and many more are becoming "premium" stations that are only available to paying members of live 365 and such.

I’ve run into that, too. Many things (not just internet radio) are going corporate, these days. We’ve been quietly and quickly experiencing the end of an era.
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Nov 5, 2003
I’ve heard that some ISPs actually buy into the premium internet radio subscriptions and make them available to their users. It’s a perk. Maybe this is something that we should all start to ask for…
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 5, 2003
.. We’ve been quietly and quickly
experiencing the end of an era.

So true, even Beethoven.com is no trying to get people to pay Real Player $10 a month for "enhanced" service. And their mp3 and, I think, iTunes feeds will cease soon.

Dick
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 5, 2003
The ISP (in Australia) that I am just signing up with provides feeds to selected internet radio stations – I’m not sure that they are otherwise services that you have to pay for, but if you go through them then they don’t count towards the download limit. (In Aus. broadband is rationed – after you get past the monthly allowance the charges can quickly mount up – and I gather that internet radio streaming is quite an easy way to rack up the megabytes quickly)

Susan S
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 5, 2003
I would think that having the ISP just add the music that is on their TV part like the tech support person was suggesting yesterday would be great. My particular Cable company has a huge long list of every kind of music that anybody could want. Lots of Blues.
I still like iTunes screen thing, tis like hooking up an oscilloscope to the old stereos the way we used to do when we were teenagers. We used to turn the lights out and ‘watch’ the music and have a few beers.
Silly but fun.
Jane
LM
Lou_M
Nov 5, 2003
Hey, Jane, I just went to that URL you listed and clicked on the station you recommended. Safari downloaded a *.pls file. I opened it in a text editor, found the URL for the station (http://205.188.234.38:8014) entered that in Advanced–>Open Stream and it started playing.

Then I selected File–>Show Current Song, and dragged it into my playlist of favorite radio stations. Now I can open and close iTunes and that station still shows up every time. I’m on iTunes 4.1 on Panther (10.3) if that makes a difference.

Cool station, by the way! It’s playing now.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 5, 2003
Oh, and I ponied up the money for a Live365.com subscription so I could listen ad-free. It’s such a liberating experience.

If only I could do that on all the sites I visit. I’d rather spend, say, $10/month to surf the entire web ad-free, rather than deal with rotating, swirling, blinking, twirling, flashing, sliding, surging ads. I get a headache after a while. CreativeMac.com and CreativeCow.net are two of the worst; I just don’t go there any more.
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 5, 2003
Lou,

Thanks for posting the link. I loaded it into Winamp and works like a charm. I’ll have to give a more thorough listen.

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 5, 2003
Hi Lou, I am shutting Real Player off and going to follow your instructions,,,,,,,,,

Hey Lou, You did it!!!!!!! You saved me and my Blues, got my station back into iTunes!

It is the <http://205.188.234.38:8014> that did it, I tried dragging the www.paradynamic.ca and it wouldn’t work, but the numerical one did.

I have a bunch of people to email and call and send them your ‘magic Blues station saver’ instructions.

Thank you!
Jane
LM
Lou_M
Nov 5, 2003
Cool! Glad it worked for you!

(Hey, that’s a good tag line you gave me: The man who saved the Blues. 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 5, 2003
Hi Lou, Now we need to know how to get the numeric address for the stations. In other words, isn’t there a way to turn a URL into a numeric address. I can’t seem to open the .pls file in a text editor.
As you can tell, I am new at all this stuff, but it sure is fun. Thanks again,
Jane
LM
Lou_M
Nov 5, 2003
Hi, Jane. In OS X, I just right-click (command-click) on the file in the Finder and select Open With… and open it with Text Edit. Let’s see, you’re on OS 9, right? I got into Macs after OS X was released, so I avoided 9.x at all costs except for the two apps that required it at the time (Elements 1.0 and DVD Studio Pro 1.1).

OK, if I open Classic . . . oh, I see. SimpleText is too smart and opens the *.pls file as a QuickTime file. Hmmm. Let’s try something else. Hmmmm <scratching head> how do I open an OS 9 Finder window in Classic?? OK, I can’t. What about Sherlock–nope, can’t find the file. What about Internet Explorer–nope, that can’t open it as text either. BBEdit Lite works, but I doubt you have that.

Jeez, I’m hopeless in OS 9! Sorry, Jane. Maybe someone else can help you.
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks anyway, Lou, You got me the station that I want. The others aren’t as good as the Paradynamic Roadhouse Blues.
There is also a way to plug in a URL into a website I used to have, and it would spit out the numeric one for us. But I don’t have it any more.

I am happy with that one neat station in iTunes, and even my almost 3 year old grandson was impressed with it and the screen part too.
You did make my day!
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 5, 2003
I don’t know if the MAC Os’s have an equivalent to "Ping" in them but if so, try pinging the url and it should return the IP Address.

Dick
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 5, 2003
pinging the url and it should return the IP Address.

Dick

Cancel that, Ping returns the url of the home page not the stream!

Dick
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Nov 6, 2003
How about just copying the file but giving it a .txt extension so that it will be opened as a text file? Can you do that in OS9?
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 6, 2003
Hi Vicky, I tried this in OS 9, changed it to .txt and it still opened RealPlayer, but instead of playing the song, it printed out a lot of text in the RealPlayer window. So I copied one of the numeric URLs, and got to Shoutcast D.N.A.S. Status page with all sorts of info on it. Then copied the other numeric, and it was the correct one for the station that Lou got for me. So I guess it does work.

This is fun, I sure have learned a lot!
There is always a way to do something with these computers, always a work-around for a problem or task. Just having smart people like you all here, to help learning people like me, is awesome!
Thanks again, Jane
ST
Suzanne_Tromburg
Nov 7, 2003
Hello,
New to the forum, and new to computers AND "digital" photography but comming along quite well thanks to excellent forums such as this. Love my PS Elements2 and much more to discover. I try to answer my own questions through browsing and came accross this thread, which prompted me to put a word in about a most excellent radio station calld WOJB. Its out of Reserve, WI. [near Hayward] and is run entirely by the Lac Courte Oreilles Band of the Ojibwe Nation. The music played falls under many categories but they are really into the blues there! I thought I knew ALL the blues stuff-until I discovered WOJB. All of the music you hear is FAR from "mainstream" and you will hear some music from Native American artists as well, from traditional to contemporary. You’ll hear stuff from Led Zep to Johnny Cash and everything in-between. Lots of new and undiscovered artists, and plenty of Olde-tyme-big-band-and roots blues…I actually learned to appreciate "country" music for the first time. Here’s some of the artist’s you’ll be treated to: Billy Holiday,the Roache’Sisters,John Mayall[personal fav],Sheryl Wheeler,John Prine,The Wrens,Cranberries,AllmanBro’s,Greg Brown,Steve Miller,and some GREAT funk from way back…funny songs.. jeez, I better stop typing here, after all this IS a Photoshop forum! Sorry if I’ve overstepped. www.wojb.org-check it out. This is NOT a commercial endorsment-I just want everyone to know about this great yet humble station I discovered since buying a cabin up there a couple years ago.
Regards!

snoluvr
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 7, 2003
Hi snoluvr, Just listened, another great station! Thanks.

You will love this forum and the people here, I would have thrown my computer into the ocean long ago if it wasn’t for these people and the awesome advice that they give us.
Not just PSE, but everything about my trials and tribulations with me and my Mac, iTunes, Back up power supplies, tufts of dog fur in the fan, and on and on.

Yes, Macs do float, at least the really old ones with the built in monitor, one of my kids saw one floating down the Charles River in Cambridge, MA.

Jane
S
snoluvr
Nov 8, 2003
HA!.. too funny!
Hello Jane,
Thanks for your acknowledgment. Just got a new computer,[I was a computer virgin] in May03 and it was Aug. before I was really able to start "going in". The help I’ve received from all the people willing to ‘take the time’ has been in-disposable. Nice to find a place where the level of integrity is quite apparent.

Enjoy the weekend :>}
snoluvr

WinXP/Home/5.1
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 8, 2003
Your next one will be a Mac, I can guarantee it.
Anyway, the fun starts here and PSE is wonderful!
Just wait till you get going on the tutorials and challenges, they’re great fun. I am not that good yet, but
trying is half the fun.
Jane
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Nov 8, 2003
Yes, Macs do float, at least the really old ones with the built in >monitor, one of my kids saw one floating down the Charles River in >Cambridge, MA.

That’s just not right… 😉

JOe
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 8, 2003
Hi Joe, Yes, I thought it sad too. I have a reeeeaaaly old b+w Mac in the cellar in its original box, and nobody in the family wants to say goodbye to it. And another old Mac in its box on top of that one, glad our cellar is big. Both work fine, we take them out once in a while and start them up.
I still have an old ’79 F-150 with the big tires up in Maine in a barn. Still runs OK too. We just can’t part with our old and favourite stuff.
Jane

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections