JA
Posted By
John_A_McDonald10
May 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For landscape photography I often sharpen the foreground, leaving sky unsharpened, and then apply a different curve adjustment to the sky. This leaves a sharpened halo between skyline and sky. Any suggestions as to how to modify the border to avoid the dread oversharpened look?

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AC
Art Campbell
May 31, 2005
What’s your Feather setting on the initial selection (that grows up to become a either the sharpened or blurred layer)? When I do this on portraits, I use 33-35 or so…

Atr
D
deebs
May 31, 2005
I may be mistaken – usual apologies if I am – but have you saved the background layer unaltered?

If so, try switching it on – it is a rather remarkable workaround IMHO whenever feathered halos appear
JA
John_A_McDonald10
Jun 1, 2005
OK, Deebs, I need some explanation about how to save unaltered background layer, and then visualize the two selections (sky and foreground) and retain sharpening and curve adjustments. I’m not a PS pro, just a simple photographer.

Thanks.
D
deebs
Jun 1, 2005
John – the untouched background helps to fill in the gaps caused by recomposing feathered layers

Well, it does with me 🙂

And it does so sensitive to the image – if things look too obvious – copy the untouched background layer and maybe apply a bit of Gaussioan blur to it.

Once the whole stack has been compiled without gaps, flatten, save under a different fileneam apply a blur then sharpen (or was it sharpen then blur then re-sharpen?)

Anyway, workflow is, at times as individual as the image

in haste

deebs

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections